I need your recommendations on acoustic/electric guitars

So with an increase of time at home on my hands lately…I’ve been thinking of picking up a new acoustic guitar. While I don’t need it to be electric, it would be nice to have the option of plugging it in if I need to jam with friends.

So what would you recommend? I would love amazing sound, easy to play action, maybe a cut away if I need to drop a sweet solo on the high E…all that kind of stuff :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Great way to spend time! I’ve owned my acoustic/electric Yamaha’s for years - a 6 & a 12. They are a mid range price but cheap guitars will drive you nuts once you can find your way around the fretboard.
When playing live (plugged in) I had many people come up & tell me what a nice sounding guitar I had, either of them.
Getting the EQ on the pickup correct is the deal breaker. They’re usually 3-band EQ.
They are also a nice easy guitar to play, particularly if you play it in for a while, then take it to a reputable repairer & have the action & frets loved up after a year or so.
I find the Elixer strings sound great on them & last a long time. Earthwoods are nice too. Go for a Light gauge, it seems to suit them nicely. Hope that helps a bit.

1 Like

I am sure there are a lot of guitarists on the forum and they will try to teach you:) it is not known whether they have any time for this, nevertheless I would recommend these guys:

(masters of their craft, relatively for a small fee)

here: https://www.guitartricks.com/

I’m sorry, again my translator is really bad - I beg your pardon :face_with_hand_over_mouth: I misunderstood everything :man_facepalming:

By the way, I didn’t know that you could play the guitar! :metal:

1 Like

I recommend “Alhambra” or “Guild”.
But, as always, it depends the money you want to spend. If you got a number, share and we can fit to it.

2 Likes

This is a great one, one of Gregor’s favorite guitars and is very cheap btw. Has a nice sound.

3 Likes

I always like to use Takamine TSP178ACSBB and
GODIN L.R.Baggs Tele

2 Likes

Godin A6. It’s a super versatile guitar

3 Likes

Hey King Dog, are you living in Australia? There are some fantastic guitars made over there.
Check out Cole Clark and Maton.

I can personally recommend the Cole Clark Fat Lady 1. It plays and sounds great both plugged in and not. Mine’s a solid spruce, but I bet those new eco-friendly bunya ones sound wonderful too.

For a budget option, I bought this Vintage V300 for my wife a decade ago. it was £120, but it sounds and plays like four times that price. It’s less cumbersome and easier to just pick up and play than the Cole Clark. (It’s about an inch smaller all round and about half an inch thinner.)
No cutaway on the V300 though.
My wife’s one is not electric, but Vintage do an electric version, the VE300. Worth a look.

For great action and feel on acoustics, it’s often worth getting a sandpaper block and shaving a millimetre or so off the bottom of the saddle. I also recommend Elixir strings. I use their phosphor bronze extra lights because I don’t need much volume and they are silky smooth and slinky af.

1 Like

If you want to stay under 1000$ try Taylor or the acoustic Ibanez’ at around 500$. Even the really small ones are rocking so hard, forget the (really) cheap stuff. It’s not too much to play outside with your friends at a summer party (don’t, during corona) and at the same time having a capable guitar with which you can record stuff.

But, for the love of god, try a guitar before buying. Support your local shops. I recently stepped in a guitar shop and tried some high level guitars which sounded beautiful, then tried an ibanez for around 400$ and it really clicked with me (doesn’t mean it will suite you, that’s why trying them is so important). The size of the corpus, the neck and the sound - altough beeing a bit ruff sounding - really talked to me.

So here I am forgetting the time, playing the hell out of it in the shop and people start gather around, giving me compliments: “Great sound!” and I replied “Yeah what a great guitar for the money!”. I knew they ment my playing but I kinda was embarrased by the compliments. Long story short: There are many fine guitars out there, but If you find a guitar which really opens your heart, buy it!

2 Likes

Great advice. I may wait till the stores open again and do a proper trial run.

3 Likes

Most of the guitars mentioned above are on the pricey side. If you’re a beginner, it’s overkill.
I reiterate, stick with Yamaha or Ibanez like Myke Ross said. For around $400-600 you can get something decent enough. Reward yourself with the candy once you’ve earned it.
Cheers, hope you stick at it, it’s worth it. Playing music is a great drug.

1 Like