Hypothesis-driven testing on Envato Market: Item Page tests

Your analytics? Mind sharing a screenshot? I did 3 days back until yesterday, compared to last week same days.

Hi AJ team and AJ authors. Something wrong with itemā€™s description after redesigning. Are there any limits on the number of letters in description now?

Iā€™ve actually noticed this with a few of my tracks as well, where the bottom of the description gets cut off

Can we please at least have the first part of the description clickable? That would still allow us to boost some sales on our new products and advertise updates! Please? Itā€™s not much to askā€¦

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a legitimate question, and Iā€™ve asked that too, with no answer so far. I think the purpose of these tests is to see the conversion rates, but Iā€™m wondering whether they take into the account what we (the authors) will have to go trough, if such changes are actually pushed permanently into production.

Why? Why hide crucial information that most of us present in our Itemā€™s descriptions, such as server requirements, that cannot be written on the Itemā€™s attributes.

Why remove the ability for us to present our products in a manner that makes sense on a first page load? CodeCanyon already looks like a site dating back from 2000s, thereā€™s little to no width in Itemā€™s presentation, we have to work with what we have, and thatā€™s now also being potentially hidden away?

Would love to hear whether you guys take into account the potential increase in support inquiries, and possibly an increase in refunds as a result of not having the information being displayed to them upfront.

1 Like

Having just seen the test on one of my own product pages (and after my initial reaction that Themeforest was broken), I really hope that at least this small request can be accommodated. Like most authors, we use the first maybe 50-100px to link to features, demos and other important pages that best explain our product. The ā€œnewā€ test pages are so empty. Itā€™s basically just a product name, image and a buy button.

3 Likes

Thanks to all those who have commented on the test variants - these have all now been raised with the teams that are working on this project. Iā€™ll also see what we can do about sharing more detail on the ā€œwhyā€ behind these test variants in future, as these tests are based on data about what our customers do (and donā€™t!) look at on the current pages.

I donā€™t have details on the expected end date for this one, as thatā€™s a call for our Product and Analytics folks to make - but I wanted to note that these tests run until thereā€™s enough data to verify a statistically significant result. Testing with a higher % of traffic means less time to achieve significant results, which means that new test iterations and new page designs can be launched earlier.

Iā€™d encourage everyone to be cautious about making any judgements based on isolated data, like individual GA results. Please remember that the marketplaces are big - from last yearā€™s Public Impact report, over 100k people earned through our platforms. Our analysts are keeping a very close eye on data across all marketplaces during this test, to identify and evaluate any changes.

3 Likes

T It is useless to make a sale if it is a follow-up of the charges of questions, the support queries and the reimbursements, of the users who could not be adequately informed about what they are buying, since the information was hidden for them.

1 Like

Happy to get some feedback! Woop woop! What I and others would love to know and have asked in previous threads.

1. Why is there no way to advertise our products anymore?(or there is with a major UX flaw) We donā€™t have a banner like Elements does, the only banner we had was in the ā€œheader partā€ of the item description, and now, that requires a second click, from a UX perspective, thatā€™s a flaw, even worse, if we do have a banner there, the faded gradient is set to not be clickthrough, therefore, it feels like a bug.

2. With the latest update to the iframe we can no longer close it either. Google is moving to restricting cross-domain iframes all together, with severe restrictions (complete denial of access) to anyone trying to cross-domain check localStorage, sessionStorage, cookies, all of which are incredibly important for developing latest generation productsā€¦ Therefore, if we use these which are a huge part of new age web design, via the Envato frame ā€¦ well ā€¦ access denied by default in Chrome. Everyone is running away from cross-domain iframes while Envato is hanging on to it for dear life.

3. The branding we worked so hard to make in the sidebar, is gone, together with useful information about product supported features, framework, documentation, tags, etc. I have no idea how these were deemed to be not important, especially since a tone of buyers read this area (customer feedback) and I canā€™t understand why add friction and second click to view these? Why hide or make it harder to find our account / portfolio link? Not to mention the star design, user, comments doesnā€™t respect line height, colors, fontsā€¦ looks just off, like it was rushed into production.

Authors have been asking for the longest time

• allow us to track conversions, better Google analytics, better tracking support for Pixel, hotjar, other methods of helping us increase our own sales with our own marketing strategies.
  • allow us to remove the Envato bar at the top, now thatā€™s there forever, no more ā€œRemove Frameā€. Authors that use localStorage or sessionStorage or Cookies will have critical, potentially item breaking errors with the latest Chrome 87 and 88 updates since cross-domain iframes lock you out of all these features, including service workers which are only increasing in popularity by the day. This is hindering innovation for all new products, since we canā€™t use basic web technologies like the ones mentioned above.
  • allow us to advertise our own items with a global header, a global image that isnā€™t cached at the top of the item description. That was added with the ability to bypass Envatoā€™s CDN via a HTTPS picture, so we could finally promote things from our own portfolio, it was added, and click through rates were THROUGH THE ROOF! ā€¦ now thatā€™s hidden as well ā€¦

Edit to add to this, we didnā€™t even get feedback as to why these arenā€™t possible in the first place. Seems logical that Envato who takes the author fee is interested in making as much profit as possible, especially if itā€™s coming out of the authors marketing budget. So, how can we set huge budgets without data?

In no way, shape or form am I being rude or trying to negate your efforts guys, but it seems this Item Description update only adds friction to the user experience, rather than simplifying it. If the main focus is above the fold, why are you hiding the part under the fold? Why does it even matter to the product team to focus on whatā€™s under the fold?

These are my main questions, and Iā€™ve seen them addressed by others as wellā€¦whatā€™s the plan for future development of author tools for marketing and branding, sales tracking, conversions, and technologies that are adequate to todayā€™s standards, ie localStorage or SWā€™s, since those will NOT work with the current frame system.

12 Likes

May i know when the Hypothesis-driven testing start date ?

Itā€™s already started mate ā€¦ havenā€™t you checked the replies?

I saw that but want to know the exact date only.

Sometime around 12 days ago, as far as I can tell from other posts.

1 Like

Hi Team, Please check this attachment. Some customers not finding extended licences many customers asked previously where to buy extended licence ? I hope this is help to increase extended licences sales. I will suggest you can change this type of update.

9 Likes

Assessment and testing can be used to show the existence of bugs, but never to show their truancy.

@sunnicee @BenLeong

Hi! One more thing that we noticed with the new design is that before, the review and comments boxes allowed people to quickly browse them even after having scrolled down (because of the ā€œboxesā€ at the right side) But now, having moved those link to the top, not only you removed the links, making users that scrolled down scroll back up, but you have links that go to the same place just a few pixels from each other:

Both colored boxes go/show the same info. We think that the previous placement had much better UX as it was better accessible for people that scrolled down to see more info.

5 Likes

Hi all. Thanks for your continued feedback.

Weā€™ve just closed the current series of tests on AudioJungle, GraphicRiver, VideoHive, 3DOcean and PhotoDune. Test variants are still displayed on ThemeForest and CodeCanyon (same set of variants, but a couple of minor bug fixes). Weā€™ll let you know when those tests wrap up.

Spacing issues around expanded descriptions and attribute boxes have now been fixed, and links in the condensed item description area shown on ā€œread moreā€ variants are now clickable.

5 Likes

Thank you for the feedback Ben!

Thank you from the bottom of my heart and Iā€™m sure a lot of other authors who advertise their own products thank you as well! Thank you! Thank you! Iā€™ve made my own data report with a few other authors as well (we know weā€™re just grains of sand in the ocean, but ā€œthe global description headerā€ worked for a lot of authors), and the clickthrough rate significantly declined during the test with the area unclickable, I canā€™t describe how happy I am to know buyers can see news about new items and updates again!

Thank you for listening guys!!! :pray:t2:

4 Likes

Iā€™m not sure is it related with the testing but I must report very low sales for me since New Year even for my new WP theme. @Enabled @BenLeong

1 Like

Same here, 3 sales for 8 days this never happened before.
The worst thing is that i am in the process of registering a company, now after this i am afraid to do that, no income that will make a company to survive on a monthly basis.

5 Likes