Hypothesis-driven testing on Envato Market: Item Page tests

:wave: :wave: :wave:

Look cool!!, Minimal & Clean I love it

It looks good. But, close X button was good to test items on their own pages.

It is good !!

Keep doing your job!! I love it! :slight_smile:

I honestly donā€™t like the direction this is going (see the attached image):

• Authorā€™s identity from Itemā€™s page has been almost completely wiped-off. The only thing left is a small link underneath the Itemā€™s title. Took us years to build a brand, and a relationship with our customers, just to be obliterated by such changes.
  • The Itemā€™s description is hidden by default, requiring an extra step to have it displayed. This was the only section where authors could present their items in a meaningful way that would help conversions, not to mention the only place where you could include important notes, that could not be included otherwise in the Itemā€™s attributes.
  • The Itemā€™s attributes are hidden by default, requiring yet another extra step to have it listed.

Great way to open up the flood gate for Refund requests, as now basically all the useful information is hidden, the buyers will have no clue what on earth theyā€™re buying.

I understand that this might be an A/B testing case, but Iā€™m still horrified that something like this can actually go into live production and presented to potential customers.

Any way of opting out of such tests?

Also while the new iframe bar looks way cleaner (which I like), it still causes issues on pretty much all the Items on CodeCanyon. Iā€™ve suggested an improvement here: Iframe, not letting my customers to check the demo version. - #14 by lunatio - too bad youā€™re not going the route of a Javascript pop-up instead, with some customizations and perhaps better tracking in terms of conversions too.

18 Likes

+1 to everything mentioned by @lunatio.

• The author link in the sidebar has been removed
  • The author brand avatar has been removed
  • Now, the only link to the author is a small one, under the title which is barely even visible.

It is extremely clear on what direction this is heading and letā€™s be honest here. Itā€™s another Envato game against Authors, like it has been for years now.

Iā€™ve been on this platform for 10 years and Iā€™ve seen all the changes throughout time. A large part of all the changes that happened were in favor of Envato as a whole, without asking for absolutely any input to the community and the authors who are keeping this platform alive.

Itā€™s extremely bothering to see that now we are being anonymized even more, as authors, with these changes.

Damn.

11 Likes

This way not good, some important data are hidden or not well visible as already written aboveā€¦

• The author brand, badges, avatar must be visible (itā€™s something thatā€™s been built over the years and it is very important to be noticeable).
  • Item sales number it must be noticeable (that number especially if it is higher attracts attention for customers).
  • Lower part where it is item description must be shown (a lot of customers donā€™t read it to the end, on this hiden way it will be even less).

To me this seems very unprofessional look, much better and more useful is the old way, this is a step backwards.

9 Likes

@lunatio
In total agreement. I think this is a move to give the platform a unified look with elements. But it does so with total disregard to the authorā€™s brand.
Sometimes the authorā€™s logo is all it takes to place a purchase, given past encounters / previous purchases from the same author.

4 Likes

Itā€™s literally to remove the authors from getting any exposure and benefits from having people recognize their brand, and instead to make it seem like everything is done by Envato, and to strengthen the bond between customers and Envato. Cause god forbid if some customer would go to check out the authorā€™s brand in more detail, or watch his tutorials on youtube cause he recognizes the logo. We canā€™t like waste all this money on our Envato ecosystem and then have our customers benefit the authors!!! NO no no!!! Even though they create all the contentā€¦ :roll_eyes:

Not nice envato.

If this becomes the final design, we might have to further clutter the thumbnails with our logos or insert our logos before the preview videos / in previews. Which will cause just a tiny bit more confusion for some clients, thinking that they also get our logo, or our logo animation.

2 Likes

@Atamotion sadly thatā€™s true. This whole move was done to remove the authorā€™s branding and the link between the Item and the Author, and induce the idea that the products listed on Envato are made by Envato, just so that the customers will always think that its Envato thatā€™s providing the items, and not the actual authors.

The fact that theyā€™ve hidden the Itemā€™s description as well, further strengthens this, as we could use the Itemā€™s description to include our logo, name and other related brand materials.

Iā€™ve forgot when was the last time Envato has asked authors about anything. Or provide the authors with actual useful tools. Was it back in 2011, 2012?

This is what happens when thereā€™s no real competition. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@lunatio Actually, two hefty competitors merged recently, soo itā€™s not all so doom and gloom :smiley:

We need the sidebar and description enabled by default. I can live with anything else being with the new design, but the description and sidebar must be active. Even links in main banners donā€™t work to advertise other files in my portfolio without a secondary action. The bounce rate increased by 20% on Envato Analytics since this is implementedā€¦ Iā€™m at a loss for wordsā€¦ :disappointed:

6 Likes

Hi! We just realized that the product pages got a redesign, and we beg you to PLEASE go back to the way they were. Thereā€™s a couple of really important reasons:

First of all, users that didnā€™t have to click anything to see the description and information, now have to click twice to see all of them. As you already know, the less clicks the user has to make, the better. Also this is hiding critical info about out items

As you can see, we use the first spaces of the description to communicate critical info about the item, and now buyers can claim that, being hidden, they didnā€™t know about it.

We are also seeing that you removed the link to what support includes and doesnā€™t and the option to buy extended support.

Furthermore, placing all the info below the item name so little seems that most buyers will just brush past all that info, rather than being in big boxes with clear display. This also removed the author box where it showcased all the badges the author had for customers so see.

Authors of Envato Market, what do you think of this new change? Weā€™re @ some of you to see what you think. @fuelthemes @WPExplorer @tommusrhodus @MVPThemes @enabled @getbowtied @anps @ProgressionStudios @ThemeFusion @Dream-Theme @ThimPress @colabrio @PixFort

We received our 8th Paw badge today, but sadly, instead of celebrating, we find ourselves dreading due to this change.
@benleong @steve_lam @sunnicee @hichameassi

8 Likes

@Enabled I just decided to check our bounce rate too. This is insane, our bounce rate went up 40%, from 36% to 77%. Hereā€™s our last 12 hours (11 PM is still in progress, hence why it shows 0):

Itā€™s insanely frustrating to see such changes happening, with zero consideration towards the authors. Iā€™m still baffled that they actually decided to hide the Description (the only place where you can realistically explain the user what the product is about), and the Itemā€™s details, such as Minimum Requirements, whatā€™s included, etc.

Itā€™s so sad to see that Envato has gotten so out of touch with us, the authors. I miss the old Envato.

@BenLeong Please, revert the changes, including the removal of our brandings, weā€™ve worked very hard (some of us for years) to build a brand and form a trust with our buyers, donā€™t take that away from us.

8 Likes

We agree with other authors and would really prefer to keep our author profile on our item pages. Brand awareness is important for sales, but on Envatoā€™s end it also helps prevent support confusion. Many customers donā€™t understand that Envato is a marketplace made up of many independent developers. I imagine that removing the author profile will only add to the confusion and increase customers mistakenly contacting Envato support for help with purchased items (which in our experience can lead to unfair item ratings based on Envatoā€™s level of support and not our own).

14 Likes

I agree with many here. Please show the whole description and metadata as it is important. I donā€™t understand why you have to hide it, there is no other info that is more visible now.

7 Likes

Thanks everyone for your feedback - weā€™re pausing the experiment in advance of a long weekend here in Australia. To address some of your queries, the current test includes multiple variants of the item page design. These include a ā€œread moreā€ on the item description or attributes section, and one variant that relocates information (author name, portfolio link, sales, comments and reviews) from the sidebar up into the header.
We will be relaunching this test shortly, and will keep you updated when we reach significant results.

Iā€™m happy to hear youā€™re pausing over the weekend. Iā€™m hoping you guys see the same increase in bounce rate as we all do ā€¦A quick question - In your tests, could you please set a variant where the first image above the read more is clickable, or that overlay that goes over the first image is 40% smaller? This way we can include banners with relevant buyer information or at least advertise our own items.

If itā€™s not broken. Donā€™t fix it :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like