Hypothesis-driven testing on Envato Market: Item Page tests

They need to break it to see if other variations could increase the conversions rate :moneybag:

2 Likes

Yeah, but these changes need to be revised by people who actually know what they are doing with the UI and UX. Everyone knows the basic principle that making people click more, instead of less, is adding complexity and most of the time reducing conversion rates.

1 Like

Absolutely agree with you.

Please be considerate towards the authors as well. Weā€™ve been neglected for a long time now. Conversions is not always everything. The well being of the authors and the community is also important.

Itā€™s pointless to make a sale if itā€™s follow up by loads of questions, support inquiries and refunds, from users that could not inform themselves properly on what theyā€™re buying into, as the information was hidden to them.

There should be a balance between conversions, and the amount of work the authors need to do, pre-sale and after a sale occurs. Thereā€™s already enough customers not reading into descriptions properly, now that thatā€™s completely hidden, this will only accentuate the problem. Why would we spend all day answering questions, when we can focus on actually improving our products?

With these changes it seems that the well being of the authors is an afterthought.

Please take a step back and reflect on what impact this may have on the authors. Thank you.

6 Likes

Hi @sunnicee canā€™t you change the tests taking in account all the feedback authors posted here? If you wanna contact us directly, weā€™d be more than willing to exchange messages to help with this, weā€™ve been in Envato for 7 years and we could give some insights about what the buyers expect from the item pages :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sounds goodā€¦ :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

The main issue with this kind of testings is, that itā€™s really hard to balance and not totally demolish someoneā€™s life.

That is why I am strongly against this kind of open testings as some authors rely on incomes and when they lose money on it can literally mean huge troubles.

The problem is that Envato sees to overall drops however specific drops can be also attributed to testings and those drops can be devastating.

I recommend using some common practices toward changes and not implementing experimental or to experimental changings and play with authorsā€™ lives, too often or too long.

3 Likes

Hi all! We have just re-launched this item page test on all Markets, using the same variants to ensure continuity with last weekā€™s test data. These tests run until we have statistically significant results, and are tested against a control variant that has no changes applied.

We monitor factors like conversion and bounce rates very closely during these tests. In the event of any test causing a significant negative impact on any marketplace, we would end those tests early.

As previously mentioned, the current test includes multiple variants of the item page design, such as including a ā€œread moreā€ on the item description or attributes section, and one variant that relocates information (author name, portfolio link, sales, comments and reviews) from the sidebar up into the header. These specific elements are being tested based on customer interviews and heat map data, as we believe they have the potential to improve those pages. Itā€™s important to test our hypotheses about how each element of the item page design helps (or hinders) customers from deciding to purchase items. Iā€™ll be sharing our findings from these tests with you when we have results to share.

1 Like

One minor request. Please make at least on part of the description area clickable, or at least an 100px high strip clickable. A LOT of author use this to advertise their new products on the market. This is vital for our own marketing efforts. We donā€™t have access to a lot of analytics, at least let us market our own productsā€¦ having the entire description area hidden and requiring an extra click to see it is a HUGE UX flaw and hinders one of our best places to convert new products ā€¦ :disappointed:

3 Likes

when any item page first time load then there is no description to see.

But after click on ā€˜Show Moreā€™ then ā€˜Show Lessā€™ some part of description showing.
I think will be better if at first load some part of description (around 150px) will show. :thinking:

2 Likes

Agreed! That would be amazing! I can understand some users donā€™t read the description, but a lot of authors myself included, use that area to advertise our other portfolio items, and also, promotional offers. At the moment, if you click that image without clicking show more, nothing happens, and that gives the impression of the page being brokenā€¦ A very poor UX choice for users.

5 Likes

Yes there is some issue with it, sometimes you can see more sometimes less, also after refreshing the page you can see a smaller block of text

Regarding the deleted frame with the authorā€™s avatar, this is a very bad decision that hits the brand that has been built by the author over the years.

5 Likes

It looks bad, and takes away our opportunity to advertise our Items in a professional way. You canā€™t advertise a product in 500px by 200px image (thumbnail), itā€™s ridiculous. Why does the buyer needs to do an extra click to find out crucial information about the product itself?

Perhaps consider improving the UI & the UX to drive more sales, while leaving the functionality in place. The marketplace still looks like a website designed in 2013.

I honestly donā€™t like this move at all, it was designed to take away from the Author and make it look like itā€™s the Envato thatā€™s providing the product, basically creating the idea that itā€™s them who are selling these items, and not us, the Authors.

Iā€™m curious how do the current tests take into account the future support and refund inquiries? Which us, the Authors, will face as a result of these changes. Simply selling 10% more, while having to do 50% more support work itā€™s not worth it.

4 Likes

I have been an author for 7 years and every time Envato some similar changes were made my traffic and earnings always falling (I believe most authors too), who benefits from things like this?.. Why change an existing design at all especially with this one that looks like a child was playing where the most important details are hidden.

Sometimes it is best to do nothing if there are no smart ideas.

7 Likes

I hate to criticize the Envato team, but there are no other words.
It looks like the new team is just making changes for the sake of change. It is sad

3 Likes

May I ask, whatā€™s the timeline of this experiment? It would be great to know how long this will be on? I can understand data collection is important, but I assume there is a timeframe allotted to this?

1 Like

Even if expanded, the metadata sidebar does not show all information, for example tags are not shown completely. I have 16 tags on this item, only 9 tags are shown:

bug or ā€œfeatureā€?

I found the cuplrit. the ā€œLess Attributesā€ button is hovering above the last 2 lines of tags. It is just bad webdesign.

So, bug, not feature.

2 Likes

analytics copy

So far so good ā€¦ at least the bounce rate went down ā€¦ so did conversions / sales, but the bounce rate sure went down ā€¦ buyers donā€™t see descriptions, file attributesā€¦ but the bounce rate went down!

Iā€™d also like to point out that the new design has multiple design flaws, including line height issues, padding issues, pagination issues, color issuesā€¦ we can report these but Iā€™m wondering if anyone is around on this thread except us, the authors, that just want a few updates and want to help with design ideas and feedbackā€¦

Edit: After making the banner area from the show more clickable, this issue has now been resolved an traffic looks pretty normal now.

4 Likes

All those red stats terrify us, and weā€™re just a couple of days into testing!

Adding this to the UX issues, like reducing information (removing the link to the support policy), hiding important info making users click twice before having all the info previously easily accessible (the description and item attributes which we use to showcase important info about the items and this c hange will lead to buyers confusion and angry customers), and completely obliterating the user brand (whatā€™s the point of the author badges now? and people canā€™t even click on our social media icons without clicking the ā€œshow moreā€ button first).

We would really love to hear the thought process behind making things less accessible from before, hiding info (even hiding the option for users to buy extended support!), and obscuring the authorā€™s brand. What possible positive change can this bring to the users?

Sorry if weā€™re being a bit harsh, but this toys with the entire teamā€™s and their families livelihood, and we donā€™t take that lightly.

3 Likes