How to transfer a license to my client (or to another webmaster)

Hello everybody,

I’m going to take care of sites made with themeforest items as the freelancer who created them is changing of business.
I will need to download the updates and I don’t understand how.
It is said in several posts that it is possible to link the license to another client but I don’t see anywhere “how” to proceed with this transfer.
Quoting the FAQ : here
Yes. You’re essentially buying the file on your client’s behalf. Whether a regular or Extended License is needed will depend on your client’s use of the end product. With both the regular and Extended License you are allowed to charge your client for creating the End Product. Once you transfer the end product to the client (eg giving them source files for the item), be sure to link your client to our licenses and delete the item itself from your computer.
Any idea ?

Thank you

License can be transferred to a client in terms of them having permission to ‘use’ the file but downloads of updated files etc. will only ever be available via the original purchase account.

Access to these cannot be moved to another account

OK That seems clear enough.
Though it means that, for the same client and therefore the same website, the item must be bought twice if we want to keep it updated…
Am I right ?

Unless you have a strong enough relationship with the original buyer to ask them to download/update/or send you new versions as they are released then yes you will.

It’s always best the client buys the file for this reason, although, nothing to do with your case at all but, there are several reasons why some of the ‘developers’ or ‘freelancers’ on here don’t want to do it that way.

I see and I understand both sides.
And in a way I’m one of these ‘freelancers’ :wink: : I find it more difficult to sell a site when the client provides the main tool to build it… (here in a provincial city in France lots of people are still reluctant to have ‘another account / password’ on a site they don’t understand the language, having to pay in a foreign currency an item crafted by turkish developer (Jupiter) or egyptian (Userpro) or indonesian…)
I obviously explain to my client what is WP, what is a theme and the fact that I’m using one that I didn’t made by myself, but I dont feel comfortable to have him buying it.
It is like if I was to buy the bricks and tiles of the house that a bricklayer (or a mason, I don’t know the exact word) is going to build for me, don’t you think ?

This answer is not meant to argue uselessly but I think that this case might become increasingly common and maybe the legal guys should seek an adjustment of the license to allow transfer…

Thanks anyhow for the easy dialogue.

I do see completely where you are coming from and purely to put it in context there are (in my view) 2 reasons:

1) From a user point:
You clearly feel comfortable alerting clients to the files being a theme and some clients will struggle to understand the costs but there are numerous ‘Developers’ (a term used very lightly in some cases) that ‘forget to mention’ this bit and charge as if it were custom built.

This is a major reason why they do not want the client involved in purchasing but is also very dishonest and stupid

2) From a business perspective:
If transferring download access was possible then it would open the marketplace and files up to all sorts of fraud, and long term harm both market and authors which will drive quality and quantity down.

Again I do see your point but I think it is the same on most digital marketplaces and hopefully the above points make some sense - if nothing else its a great way to charge retainer fees!

Well OK ! I’ll try to negociate with the inital owner as you suggested…

one detail before closing the thread… I don’t see what you mean by :

'- if nothing else its a great way to charge retainer fees!

Tried Google translate but didn’t understood

You can always charge/include for free ‘maintenance’ fees whereby you offer to update WP versions, theme updates etc on their behalf.

You could do this for free but you would be well within your rights to charge an ongoing cost once the site is built to do this.

Of course :wink:,

And that is the calculation/quotation i’m making now !

Thanks for your time !