How to enable CUDA in AE CS6

It seems to me that I just can’t enable it. And in AE it says that either I don’t have a card wich supports CUDA either my drivers are bad.

But my card is Quadro 600 it supports CUDA and has 2.1 Compute Capability.

my drivers also says it has CUDA on.

What am I missing?

Add your card inside a list:
Adobe\Adobe After Effects CS6\Support Files\raytracer_supported_cards.txt

:wink:

And use custom program settings instead global:

AE_cuda

Look at your card’s driver version, I think you have to update it to be 4.0 or higher.

http://www.video2brain.com/en/lessons/system-requirements-for-gpu-acceleration-opengl-cuda

Thus could also be of any help.

Unsupported video card?

I don’t know if the list below is exhaustive or if it has been expanded upon recently…

(Windows)

• GeForce GTX 285
  • GeForce GTX 470
  • GeForce GTX 570
  • GeForce GTX 580
  • Quadro CX
  • Quadro FX 3700M
  • Quadro FX 3800
  • Quadro FX 3800M
  • Quadro FX 4800
  • Quadro FX 5800
  • Quadro 2000
  • Quadro 2000D
  • Quadro 2000M
  • Quadro 3000M
  • Quadro 4000
  • Quadro 4000M
  • Quadro 5000
  • Quadro 5000M
  • Quadro 5010M
  • Quadro 6000
  • Tesla C2075

(Mac)

• GeForce GTX 285
  • Quadro CX
  • Quadro FX 4800
  • Quadro 4000

Can anyone share thoughts about Quadro 4000?

InlifeThrill said

Anyone has experience with Quadro 4000?

For Mac, yes.

The hack that Spirit mentions above is documented in greater detail here…

http://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/AfterEffects.htm

Beware - You do this at your own risk. These graphics cards are not on the white-list for a reason - they are not considered stable enough in After Effects yet. If you are using a Kepler-class graphics card, as Todd Kopriva puts it “Cards not on the whitelist may fail, and fail badly.”

As for the Quadro 600, the link above says that it will work if the card has at least 1GB of video RAM. Yours is just short, Cyzer… so who knows how it will behave.

Here’s a detailed discussion from the Adobe forums.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4427784

InlifeThrill said

Can anyone share thoughts about Quadro 4000?

I have it on PC and I’m more than satisfied… really does the job. Did not regret the purchase

speaking of cs6 “the Question” - when

Quadro for Mac is good - fast and quiet.

It certainly has a couple of quirks now and then it seems, but it’s fast and stable. Works a treat for Ae anyway. The new raytrace 3D is pretty fast (not that I have any benchmark for that) and it’s seems pretty solid with Fast Draft and other Open GL accelerated stuff in CS6.

I can’t say I’ve noticed the C4D viewport being any quicker. I haven’t done a direct comparison. But in this respect it seems to be not so different from the Radeon 5870 that I had before.

Cool, thanks Ben. Too bad Cinema does not seem to be taking much advantage of it though… Anyway, should be better than my current set up. New workstation is to be delivered any day now. Can’t wait. Arrrgh.

I had a good reading last night about AE CS6 ray tracing feature.I personally did not have CS6 yet so can t say on my machine.
But if you plan to do templates with it you will need to keep in mind the user machine’s spec.
Also i signed up for the trial of the new Smoke just for curiosity :bigwink:

You can absolutely forget doing ray-traced 3D without a CUDA enabled GPU or recommending that customers can render ray-traced in Ae without one. It’s too slow to be practical. For moderately complex scenes, I ran a test or two and gave up after 5 minutes when the first frame still hadn’t finished rendering. The GPU did it in about 20 seconds.

I find in general that you can’t push ray-tracing that far without having a long render on your hands. It’s pretty good for a simple extrude and a couple of lights, but for anything more complex - soft shadows, diffuse reflections etc. it feels a little bit like back to the bad old days of overnight renders and making a cup of tea while a frame renders. Time to party like it’s 1999! :smiley:

flashato said

I had a good reading last night about AE CS6 ray tracing feature.I personally did not have CS6 yet so can t say on my machine.
But if you plan to do templates with it you will need to keep in mind the user machine’s spec.

@Flash. Let us know what you make of Smoke. The fact that it’s node base (apparently) is a very big draw. So much better for complex comps.

Well by all means it stays AFTER Effects. I guess lighting and major 3D work is supposed to be done in a 3D application, right? There’s always more than one way to skin a cat though. I guess spectacular 3D work will be possible in AE only too. The era of the “new born” 3D designers is ahead of us, armed with ray-traced and element. Buckle up maties. :slight_smile:

felt_tips said
flashato said

@Flash. Let us know what you make of Smoke. The fact that it’s node base (apparently) is a very big draw. So much better for complex comps.

I won’t be doing much,I will mess around,press some buttons, and uninstall it :bigevilgrin:

flashato said

I won’t be doing much,I will mess around,press some buttons…

This is the trick of the true pro. Mess around, press some buttons … great looking animation comes out. :slight_smile:

Is GeForce GTX 560 enable CUDA Cores in CS6 ?