How to build a targeted mailing list - Envato Author guide

Thanks @wow_themes! Glad to hear you found it helpful :blush:

@valecf1 Thank you! A deviant art page could work, but a blog has more potential because it is a place where you build your authority, share your voice and interact with your audience (via comments and such). A blog / website also allow you to place signup forms in key locations (above the fold, under blog posts…) which is great for capturing leads.

A deviant art page could work well as a place to share a freebie of some sort, but then you’d need to direct your audience to a signup form which anyway would be located out of the deviant page, meaning you’d need a website or a simpler standard Mailchimp signup page for example.

@revaxarts Hey buddy, sure thing! :wink:

Thanks for sharing the extra details about the dedicated ESP, very helpful. Based on those numbers I believe using MyMail in combination with one of those services would still results in a cheaper solution compared to Mailchimp, Aweber and the rest.

But for someone just starting out with email marketing it might be slightly easier to begin with a simple platform like Mailchimp, and then move on to a more advanced solution like MyMail after getting familiar with the basics :blush:

Thanks @Cream_Motion, appreciate it! :blush:

Yes I’ve tried both Facebook and Adwords ads, and results were better than a regular post (i.e. organic engagement), but as you said it’s expensive and hard to know if it worked. But when you do create an ad campaign, the most important metrics to check is the link clicks. Likes, shares and image views are nice, but don’t lead people to your product.

1 Like

Thanks for all those fantastic articles ; we also shared those with our list. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’re more than welcome @Bedros! And awesome, glad to hear that :blush:

It is very helpful for me, also maybe you know my doubts. Have any way to export the list of customers had purchased items in themeforest from me with email of them?

1 Like

Extremely helpful thank you!

1 Like

Great article. How do you send a link for your freebie item after user gives you an email? And what if you have for example 10 different items that you want to give, but they should be separated. So you have item #1 and when user gives his email he receives a download link for this item. But if he wants item#2 he doesn’t need to enter email again.
Thanks.

1 Like

Thanks you a lot you help me so much, the information is very very interesting and helpful for me and I think for the other authors also!!! Best regards!!! :v: :smile:

1 Like

Hey guys, sorry for my slow response! I was away on a short vacation :slightly_smiling:

@Loc_rabbirt - Unfortunately there is no way of exporting ThemeForest (or any Envato market) buyer emails, as Envato doesn’t share them with authors.

@SkinnyAtlasMusic - Really glad to hear that! :blush:

@DeoThemes - Thanks buddy! Great question. I personally use Mailchimp for my mailing list, so the process in MailChimp is the following:

1. Ask users for their email in return for a freebie.
  2. The user provides his email and is sent a confirmation email.
  3. The user confirms his email and receives a final welcome email, either containing - a direct download link to the freebie, or a link to a freebie page on your website.

If you offer more than one freebie to your subscribers, you can create a password protect the area on your website (i.e. ‘members only area’) and in the final welcome email send the password for entering the freebie section. That’s the way I do it.

Other email provider services offer better solutions for this question, but in MailChimp that’s the best workaround I found. Let me know if you have any further questions!

@MassDream - Thanks a lot! really appreciate it :grinning:

Hi!

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

I’ve been experimenting with mailchimp, but I can’t get access to the Automation section without having to pay for it. Is that normal?

Thanks,
Josep

Hey @jomontu, you’re more than welcome and thanks for your question!

Yes that is normal, the automation section is only available for paid accounts (which start at $20 per month for the low tier: http://mailchimp.com/pricing/growing-business/)

I personally find this to be as a very important feature, but you could always start without it and add it once you’re getting subscribers on a more constant basis.

Note that if you do that, you can include previous subscribers in your new automation workflow.

For a more affordable option for automation you can check out MyMail as it has an automation feature as well.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Hi @AmigoProductions,

My thank to you, maybe you can help me with one question. I consider to use MyMail plugin such as your recommended, but maybe you can tell me the host or vps you had used to run it.

My choose: amazon cloud, it’s good?

Hey @Loc_rabbirt, I completely missed your comment - sorry about that! I used to use Amazon (AWS), and it worked fine after getting through the initial setup process which was fairly technical.

But nowadays I use a different mailing service that I believe is 10X better in terms of features, ease of use, and cost per value - so Mymail wouldn’t actually be my #1 recommendation for someone who’s just getting started (and definitely not for a pro marketer).

1 Like

No problem, thank you so much for your sharing :). I hope I can break the line and go to pro marketer area like you, lol.

1 Like

If not any inconvenience, may we learn the name of the service please? :slight_smile:

Yes of course buddy :slight_smile: I currently use mailerlite (aff link), and it’s truly awesome. You can get it 100% free up to 1,000 subscribers, with all features included (automation, segmenting, landing pages, signup forms, a/b split tests, designed emails and the list goes on)…

And btw, I keep an updated list of all the tools & resources I use for my business at: https://danielfuterman.com/toolkit/

2 Likes

Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

Thank you so much :).

1 Like

This is a wonderful gold mine of information .