How much would you charge

for a second of simple infographics animation (graphs, charts, tables etc)? This should be done from scratch but design should be pretty simple and minimalistic. That’s the first time I’m doing this commercially, so that’s why I’m asking.

Thanks!

vovkacg said

for a second of simple infographics animation (graphs, charts, tables etc)? This should be done from scratch but design should be pretty simple and minimalistic. That’s the first time I’m doing this commercially, so that’s why I’m asking.

Thanks!

One second of animation?

Smudgethis said
vovkacg said

Thanks!

One second of animation?

Yeah, one second. I mean there is a lot of stuff to be done, something like 3-4 minutes of animation but I have to count how much it would cost overall. You can name the price of one minute of animation if it is more convenient )

vovkacg said
Smudgethis said
vovkacg said

Thanks!

One second of animation?

Yeah, one second. I mean there is a lot of stuff to be done, something like 3-4 minutes of animation but I have to count how much it would cost overall. You can name the price of one minute of animation if it is more convenient )

Ahh I see. So you kind of want a ‘cost PER second’ kind of thing? That’s not that easy to give as there will be quite a variation in cost per second if you are only designing for one minute compared to four.

You have to factor in the cost of designing all the scenes and creating a storyboard for your client to approve. This can take longer to do than the actual animation work. Then there’s audio editing and any changes (obviously there are likely to be more changes in a three minute animation than one that is 30 seconds long).

Personally if I was taking on this brief I would quote around the £3000 - 4000 mark and that’s simply based on my day rate multiplied by the time I think this will take to complete. I find that’s the best way to supply a quote as opposed to a cost per second scenario.

I’m going to second a lot of Smudge’s comments.

It all depends on the complexity of the animation and the expectations of the client. Expect 1 minute of animation to take a lot longer for an international advertising client than for a small web application. I got quoted $25,000 for 3 seconds of animation the other day, but it was in the zone of feature film quality and complexity - and photo-realistic 3D animation rather than mograph, but you get the my point: doing a bit of simple typo animation and animating the fleets collide just don’t compare.

You are presumably going to be designing the stuff as well as animating it? That means there’s going to be a stage of concept development, style-frames, movement tests, storyboards, animatic? You need to make sure there’s sign-off on what you’re making before you knuckle down and animate 1 minute’s worth of material (and you’ll probably need to factor in some delay-time for this process). And as Smudge mentioned, this early stage of the job will likely end up constituting a large part of the job. Maybe more than 50%.

You also need to work out how many rounds of changes you’re going to offer and at what stages in the job. You also need to set time aside for meetings, telephone calls etc. The stuff you don’t think of can trash your profit as well as your enjoyment on a job, so try to make sure you have everything covered, so that it’s a good experience for you and for your client.

But anyway… for a completely ballpark figure. You should be looking at between $5000 and $10000 for a minute’s worth of animation. That’s based on a freelance day rate of $500 and between 10 and 20 days. If you’re a beginner, you’re probably slower, so you might want to go in at a lower freelance rate and adjust the price accordingly. Any which way, the timings take into account around 8 days of design / concept etc. 8 days of animation, 4 days for production stuff, changes and so on. If you’re doing sound as well, that would need to be costed separately.

@Felt I need to up my rates a bit!

Thanks guys, nice pieces of advise. I definitely need to count how many days it would take, however I haven’t seen the storyboard yet, just general phrases. Don’t think it would be something outstanding there, that is close to cinematic VFX, but since I haven’t ever even touch infographics design I thought it would be easier to set a price for a second of animation.

Thanks, very useful posts.