How Much Should I Charge for PSD mockups / designs?

Not on TF but rather for freelance with other designers or agencies. I am finding that there are a decent number of freelance opportunities for designers to create what would basically just be a PSD template here for another designer or design studio when they have too much work and then they would code it.

So I ask, what is a fair price for me and for them, for me to charge? I don’t want to lose work but I want it to be worth my time.

To be honest, you’re the only person who can figure that one out. There are no fixed prices for creative work - it really depends on your situation and nobody elses. You need to consider your ideal weekly/monthly income and when you’ve worked that out, set yourself an ideal hourly/daily wage.

I recently had to figure out my numbers, too. I started by finding out how much money goes out every month (internet, phone, rent, etc.) and then gave myself an ideal number for monthly income to weigh up my profit. I then divided that number a few times to work out how much I need to charge per hour/per day.

Good luck.

Try to set a hourly rate for yourself, take into consideration for the cost, office setup, equipments etc. Then estimate the hour you need to complete the task. For example, if your hourly rate is $ 30 / hour and it (may) takes 15 hours to complete the task, you can quote the client $450 for that project.

But if the client prefer for hourly rate, then you can get 20% - 50% ( of the total estimation ) deposit before get started. Then get the clock counted.

I hope this help.

That’s exactly what I just said?

A friend of mine charges 250 euro for index and 210 for inner pages. You can refer to this one but only if you have a strong portfolio and have the potential as a “good” designer.

I learned that an hourly fee is the best way to go… for almost everything.

crozer said

I learned that an hourly fee is the best way to go… for almost everything.

+1

By going with an hourly rate, you set a maximum that you can earn. I have found that it’s better to charge based on the value to the client. If it takes 5 hours to set up a ThemeForest theme for a client, and your hourly rate is $30, you would cap yourself at $150. Instead, if you tell the client a comparable custom website would take weeks and cost $1000, you can even charge them more than that for the time savings.

In the case of designing a psd theme, they might pay thousands for a design that could become the next top selling theme here, selling 250+ copies a week.

fillerspace said

By going with an hourly rate, you set a maximum that you can earn. I have found that it’s better to charge based on the value to the client. If it takes 5 hours to set up a ThemeForest theme for a client, and your hourly rate is $30, you would cap yourself at $150. Instead, if you tell the client a comparable custom website would take weeks and cost $1000, you can even charge them more than that for the time savings.

In the case of designing a psd theme, they might pay thousands for a design that could become the next top selling theme here, selling 250+ copies a week.

Exactly, that’s what my almost everything referred to :stuck_out_tongue:

I am firmly in the “fixed fee” camp, to avoid limiting what I can earn just because I’m quick at it.

That said, I’m not entirely sure why this thread got bumped in the first place, I was just bored enough to carry it on.

MichelleDancer said

I am firmly in the “fixed fee” camp, to avoid limiting what I can earn just because I’m quick at it.

+1

crozer said
fillerspace said

Exactly, that’s what my almost everything referred to :stuck_out_tongue:

It should have been “almost nothing” :slight_smile:

For anything where a creative work is involved, you should charge per project. This would include building a house, writing a book, or designing a website. If it is an ongoing task with no discrete work units, like debugging code, maintaining a website or working a customer support hotline, hourly is fine. But for anything else, I pay or get paid per unit of work completed (post written, ticket answered, page designed).