How long does it take to create a new track? Beginning from idea to mastering

Hi! Dear colleagues!
Creating of music track is very interesting and difficult. Sometimes I spend 1 day to make arrangement and 2-3 hours to make mixing. Sometimes 3 or 6 days to find what i want.
I’m wondering. How long are you doing? :notes: :musical_keyboard: :headphones:

For me it depends on the style. Usually somewhere between 2 and 4 hours. My goal is always to not worry about imperfections and just get the track done. Sometimes if I get really hyped on a track I might work on it for longer… but with royalty free music my main objective is to achieve a good return on the time investment that it took to create the track. So the faster it can be completed while still maintaining sufficient quality, the better.

For my own personal music, of course it takes a LOT longer, usually several weeks or even months. So it all depends on the style of music and the purpose for which it was made.

1 Like

For the technical work it’s usually from 1 to 1.5 days for me, when I start my DAW I will most likely finish a track in one day but I will listen to it the next day just to check up if it still sounds ok, and make different versions. However I’m always working in my mind and I compose most of my tracks while walking with my dog in the forest, so if you count that, maybe 2-4 days per track

1 Like

@AceAudio
The same goes for me. I take a one-day break where I have two, and then I listen again… I pass the track on different speaker supports, then I correct my mastering. I also think about my compositions all the time: I sometimes wake up at night to go write ideas that I thought about when I fell asleep! Maybe because I don’t have a dog! Lol. :rofl:

1 Like