How do you produce these sounds?

Hey there! How do you guys get this super clean, compressed guitar sound? Is that layered? 2 or 4 times maybe? Also, what’s that atmospheric reverb in the background? Is that Valhalla Shimmer or is that just a pad? Sounds great. Would love to get my production skills there.

Sounds like double tracked stratocaster (or any guitar with single coil pickup) with some EQ, noise gate and compression :slightly_smiling_face: Maybe author himself will tell :grinning:

2 Likes

Totally agree, single coil, and that sound in the background is not shimmer.

1 Like

You can get pretty close to this with Kontakt’s Electric Sunburst VST plugin + heavy amounts of multiband compression and reverb. Could be Valhalla Shimmer but it’s hard to tell the specific reverb just from listening.

The main thing here is to compress the sound into oblivion (OTT is always a good choice for this) and then slam the whole thing into the limiter as hard as humanly possible without causing distortion :slight_smile:

1 Like

What preset / guitar sound you would use in Electric Sunburst Deluxe? I have it, but don´t get even close to it. Looking a long time for those Guitar riff sound.

Ah got it. ESB (Melody).nki played as chord - riff. Coming closer now :wink:

Electric Sunburst is a Les Paul sample library.
This is clearly a strat. Switch : 4th or 5th position. And it sounds compressed. Low cut, low-mid around 500 hz dip in EQ.
And a super clean amp. Like Cory Wong. Haven’t regretted a dime I’ve spent on this amp sim.

2 Likes

Well to be fair not all of us have a Strat just lying around. I’m just saying you can get that kind of clean compressed guitar sound with that plugin, not that it will result in the exact sound as in the example

Very helpful, all! Thank you!!

Well, everybody here is talking about Strato, but dont forget there are more guitars with single coil, Telecaster, Jaguar… for example.

1 Like

@AdamSmith_Music @add9audio @Manriquedelara @MagicMood
I gave it a try this week. What do you think???

1 Like

I think it will sound good in a mix despite the electric noise, played clean, very little difference from your reference :+1:

1 Like

The performance sounds great! I do hear a bit of unwanted distortion though and I would definitely EQ it to cut down on the harshness in the 3 kHz range. Other than that it could definitely work though

1 Like

Awesome. Thanks guys! I’m wondering now - maybe they didn’t even use an amp sim and just went straight DI. It’s SO clean.

Sounds great, what amp sim did you use?

@JLJMusic WAVES GTR - added some Decapitator and used OTT, too!

1 Like

Nice, I’ve never tried Waves GTR. Did you double track and pan hard left and right? The right side sounds brighter like you used a different pickup or something to my ears. Gives it a full sound.

@JLJMusic Yeah, I actually triple tracked it. I did two of the exact same takes then panned those left and right. They’re not panned super hard though. Then there’s a track in the middle that’s playing the same chords but just a different voicing. Im not sure I used a different pickup but I may have changed a setting on the virtual amp. Thx! Im trying something new now where I’m recording double takes line in and then putting FabFilter Saturn on the two tracks and put the mix knob only to 30% or so. It sounds pretty cool!!!

1 Like

Cool, you should post a sample here when it’s ready

Reading here about amps, and this is not the first time i read about it. Everybody talk about amp sim, but i would like to know how many of you, not even i talk about play a guitar, just listen, or be in front of, a real valve amp.
Just curiosity.