How can envato and we can protect our item from illegal sell?

@charlie4282 … I made obfuscator and encryptor in Perl for Javascript and only files I specify will be obfuscated and encrypted, the configuration / customization js file is excluded from the process. There’s nothing to maintain, it was done only once. I use it for the games on my website and nobody was able to reuse my games elsewhere, they simply don’t work anywhere else due to my protection that is obfuscated and encrypted along with the rest of the code. Flexibility to change and customize and reskin is not lost.

But you are still then providing a buyer with a version which is potentially difficult to modify in part.

I totally get that the raw customisation element is non-encrypted but:

1. surely there could be things that a user might want to do or modify which will now be more complicated otherwise what would the benefit of doing it be?

2. Would this process or function be applicable to all other items for sale
    On envato? Would the requirements/changes that it makes be exactly the same for other files? I doubt that it would be ideal right?

Again I am 110% behind the concept of protecting items - i just think that we all need to consider the bigger picture

Again 110% behind protecting authors work but a few consideration:

• envato don’t own the items so they tell buyers to back them up in case an author removes them etc… how would that work without providing the source and full code, items etc?

• how would it work given the various different installation scenarios e.g. Dodfeeemt hosting, local .v. live, where buyers are v inexperienced and don’t have things set up correctly?

• would it not almost certainly need to be the author who sets up the installation process (even if automated)? What happens if something goes wrong? Who is liable? The author. Envato?

• what happens if a buyer wants to remove a copy and use it on a different location?

• a personal reason why we have gone from power buyer to nearly an non-buyer is the degree of tracked or potential stealth code being used by some authors which is a big reason for avoiding encrypted or obfuscated code.

• the elephant in the room… all these ideas are great for web templates, WP themes etc. But what about all of the other formats such as graphics, PPTs, AE files etc which also get pirated but don’t have the code to adjust?

Again I am all for finding solutions and am sure if people have viable ideas then envato would want to hear them.

1 Like

So to make myself clear enough. It would be the responsibility of authors to protect their work and to make changes buyers want and charge for those changes (adding features, modifying features, you know, the usual custom work freelancer do anyway).

Of course, same as now, if author made an error, a bug, it gets fixed by the author. I honestly don’t understand how you’re unable to understand what I’m saying.

@charlie4282 wrote: Would this process or function be applicable to all other items for sale
On envato? Would the requirements/changes that it makes be exactly the same for other files? I doubt that it would be ideal right?

You speak as if Envato is making authors’ items. No, authors develop/create items.

I am really not - I am saying that there needs to be a standard benchmark for authors to work to reviewers to consider and buyers to expect.

So just to be clear - an author would encrypt part of their code, still allowing basic customisations, but anything that requires modifying those encrypted aspects would:

So buyers have to pay extra so that an author is allowed to encrypt part of their item? ( I am assuming authors are not going to be doing this for free esp those with big sales).

Surely that’s not a serious suggestion?

@charlie4282 … I’m dead serious! Buyers are purchasing items with current features, all modifications need to be understood as new items. If they do not like current features, they do not have to purchase them, they can purchase items that have those features. I’ve noticed that buyers often demand features in the comment section and then authors reply that they will or will not include those in future updates. I don’t see the problem.

Assuming what they want is something that constitutes a customisation then that would be fine. This is exactly how it currently works already and nothing needs to change.

What is not ok is an author intentionally making it harder for buyers to make modifications that they may be otherwise able to make for themselves and subsequently forcing buyers to spend more.

• Who would manage these payments? (there’s already enough issues with people making third party agreements)

• Who would monitor quality or amends, response times and so on?

• What’s going to stop certain authors intentionally making life difficult for buyers and whereby forcing them to pay for more help?

• Where is the line drawn (given all items are different) on what can/should be obfuscated?

As mentioned above either buyers are buying unrestricted full access to an item (as is the case now) or they are not.

Well, I presume that’s where reviewers come in. If they can use the item and customize then that would be a decision point, like they do now.

Given it would be different for each file it would be hugely time-consuming, potentially chaos.

Aside from the impossibility to set a benchmark - this would be a fundamental change to Envato’s author and buyer terms and agreement and the way the marketplace operates.

I’m assuming that the current system takes many days in some cases because items are indeed different.