Here we go again...

Rejected once again. Can anyone give me feedback?

I wish the review team would give at least some kind of feedback, even a single word like “Mixing” or “Arrangement” would help. It’s hard to improve if you don’t know what you need to work on, and it’s hard to know what the AudioJungle team wants (for example, I’ve had a track rejected here and then afterwards accepted on other sites).

Hi @jpmbianchini, I’m afraid in this case it’s a general low quality of MIDI instruments which would lead to this rejection. The guitar, strings, drums- all would need updating with higher quality virtual instruments to be accepted.

If this is not possible, then I recommend learning ways to make MIDI instruments sound more realistic. Lots can be improved here with subtle reverb, ‘humanising’, tweaking velocities etc…

Good luck!

1 Like

Addictive Drums 2
Alicias Keys (Ni Kontakt) - Use the “sustain” pedal.
Valhalla Room

try these VST.
Find the popular track “elite author” in this genre and pay attention to the volume balance.

1 Like

Ah, I see. I thought those instruments were of high enough quality. I never would have imagined, as I usually do more electronic music.

Yeah @AlisterBunclark, I probably won’t be able to invest right now, but I’ll definitely study about humanising and other techniques to make it sound more natural, and also learn to better use what I have.

Also, thanks a lot for the recommendations @EvgenM!

That said, is there any instrument which sounds particularly artificial and/or low-quality, even more so than the others? Maybe the drums, the piano, the background guitars? I’m asking so I can more easily identify the most “troublesome” ones.

Thank you!

1 Like

Nice advices by @AlisterBunclark and @EvgenM :slight_smile:

To my ears, the guitar is one of the most problematic instrument.

You might be able to get away with some of the other sounds by using judicious volume, filters, reverb and EQ adjustments, but it would be way better (and faster) to update most of your instruments.

Free high quality sample libraries are more common these days, so I would start looking there first (if your budget is very tight). But if you’re able to invest, at least a little, I would suggest to buy a guitar replacement first.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I see. Weird, the guitar was supposed to be high quality. It’s a Kontakt Elements Selection Nylon Guitar. Maybe I botched the MIDI programming or processing?

Oh, free HQ sample libraries, really? Nice. I’ll look for it! Are there any you could recommend?

And sorry to bother, but how can I tell if a sample library is good? Sure I would search reviews before buying, but I have some installed and I really can’t tell. Is size a good indicator? Like I said, I’m used to working with synths. :sweat:

Hi, it’s pretty late in my corner of the world, so I’m going to sleep in a few minutes, but I’ll get back tomorrow with a few suggestions. Stay tuned.

Hello,
I totally agree that it would be nice if for the rejection they could at least say “mixing/mastering” or “any other reason” :slight_smile:

But here, there is no doubt, I just listened to the first 5 seconds, and this guitar is, well… it sounds so so “fake”…
I don’t know if it could be improved by EQ, reverb, or change in velocities. I tried using the same guitar myself, and gave up because could not get a natural result if played like this, as the “main” instrument.
You could perfectly use it as arpeggios in the background, but for “solo” instrument, you need a better quality.

The coincidence is that I am looking for a good nylon guitar, there are excellent products by known companies such as Orange tree samples, but the price is high, between $150 and $200 usually.

Now, Pettinhouse makes good guitar kontakt libraries, and the nice part is that he offers “lite”, free versions for some of them, http://www.pettinhouse.com/html/download.html

As I am on a low budget, and am looking for a nice nylon guitar, I found the Pettinhouse one, $49
(http://www.pettinhouse.com/html/pettinhouse_kontakt_guitar_sam.html)

but somehow I have the feeling this one, by Indiginus, is even better,
http://indiginus.com/Renaxxance.html at $59

1 Like

And… Use a real guitar?¿

1 Like

oh and you also have http://www.ilyaefimov.com excellent libraries, price around $99, but over my budget

ah ah… so you need an excellent guitar, excellent mike… treated room, no noises at all… good preamp…
I am myself a guitarist, I have a nice classical guitar (I studied classical guitar for a few years!), a nice Godin LGX with piezo, and a Gibson Les Paul Studio.

Well, I still use guitar Vstis to add to my tracks, because I don’t have any folk steel guitar anyway, so for those…
And for the nylon sounds, I tried but the sound I get is not that good…

On the electric side, yes I also bought a VSti (Shreddage SRP) because I have nice guitars, but not an agressive, metal oriented downtuned 7 strings guitar :slight_smile:

Same for bass, I own an old cheap Cort bass, I use it to add an “organic” feel, but most of the time I use Vsts…

1 Like

another one… AmpleSound… I listened to their Nylon demo… wow… but too expensive for the usage I would have.

To be honest, sometimes for bass i use VST too… :sweat_smile:
When i´m really vague to take it, connect it, fine tune… And i just want some long six notes… :joy:

1 Like

eheh :slight_smile: One of my provlems is that I think for stock music, and AJ more specifically, a very “clean” sound is prefered. I think that organic, real, human “squeaks”, “fret noises” are not the best idea…; so even when I play live, I tried to remove them…

1 Like
  • A real guitar will always sound… more real. I side with @Manriquedelara on this. It would be the best. That said, sample libraries are becoming pretty good, but if you don’t play a guitar in real life, you start with a handicap: you’ll need to study how guitar players are playing, because even the best vsti can sound fake and bad if it’s not played like a guitar player would.

• If a real guitar is not possible, Renaxxance by Indiginus, as suggested by @frozenjazz, would be a very good choice. It is one of the best among the more affordable ones (plus it can also do a nice pseudo-ukulele sound quite well if you don’t have one at the moment). All Indiginus sample libraries are very well done and programmed (the developer is a guitar player himself, so it helps).

• I have the Pettinhouse nylon one and I like it too, but this one is a bit older and sounds a little more raw. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, but for AudioJungle, a clean sound is often a good idea, I think. Pettinhouse sometimes do huge sales (I bought a bundle with all his sample libraries for 99$ a year ago!). So it might be worth checking.

About free sample libraries: finding gems takes some time, but for background instruments, you can get very useful stuff now. Just be prepared to download lots of instruments before hitting the jackpot. But for upfront instruments (doing the main melody or other prominent parts), nothing will beat real instruments or very well programmed ones (and those are sometimes a bit pricey).

But before even thinking about which library would be good for you, it might be best to learn more about natural instruments and listen to a lot of music done this way, because electronic is a whole other world. You can’t expect to simply choose natural sounds and think that it will be enough. You need to start thinking like players playing physical instruments, to make them sound right. Good luck! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks a lot, once again. Guess I’ll need to keep searching until I find those gems.

Wow, great advice @Nonzerobot haha. Makes sense. I do listen to music played with “natural instruments”, but yeah, I don’t know much about most of these instruments, so making this kind of music, digitally, is going to be troublesome for me :sweat_smile: I should take the time to study that.

But maybe for now I’ll keep my focus on electronic music, I guess there’s space for some styles here on AJ.

1 Like

Focusing on your main style (electronic) while continuing to expand your horizon sounds like a solid plan to me. :+1: