Help needed: midi-controller Akai MPK25 setting up for ableton live

hi guys,

I have this new midi-controller “MPK25”:http://www.akaipro.com/mpk25

and I don’t know what to do, I’m stuck :(… the program doesn’t seem to recognize this controller, it also isn’t in the list of hardware to choose from, does anybody has an idea or maybe use the same utilities… I would be very glad for that

I use also FL Studio, but there it seems to be even more difficult

every help or advice is highly appreciated

You know exactly how to make it work. You just want to shine with your new toy, admit it! :smiley:

FL:

turn on the controller, open up FL. Pick generic controller in midi settings and tick the enable box. Not 100% sure, but that might do it for ya. And ohh, turn off “typing keyboard to piano” if you have it enabled.

yea I admit :smiley: its very nice except the fact that I can’t make it work :X

in FL… I already tried that before, same as you describe… but it doesn’t appear in the directory of these settings… its weird

what about a Charger… in the instructions is written if you think it has not enough power through the USB, buy a power Charger and switch it on… could that be the issue? maybe I must try that

both programs FL and Ableton does not recognize the Controller, seems to be a problem with the Controller, and not the DAW!

I take it you’re plugging in straight via usb?

Go to control pannel -> system -> device manager (there’s a button somewhere)
Have a look for any usb devices with a yellow question mark in the icon - that means the drivers haven’t been installed correctly

If the lcd lights up, it’s probably got enough power.

If it has midi out, try connecting that to a midi interface you already have - that way you can tell if its just a bust keyboard, or a system error.

• yes, thats already done… no question marks, all drivers are installed

• yes, the LCD and Lights are on and blinking

If it has midi out, try connecting that to a midi interface you already have – that way you can tell if its just a bust keyboard, or a system error.

seems to be a good point… midi-out? I checked and in midi-out is no cable plugged in, cause I don’t have one, as well as the midi-in… and what you mean with midi-interface? something like that? http://bit.ly/AdiEd

I have no idea how to turn that on, can you explain it?

I guess you’ve found out why it isn’t working… I’m just a noob and never had a midi-controller before

Basically, you used to have to buy a keyboard which output midi and then buy a midi interface which would convert to USB which your computer could then use. Nowadays most keyboards (yours included) have the midi interface built into them, so you only need to plug in the usb to get the midi data. The reason I suggested using the midi cable was so if you already had a midi interface which you knew worked (say, from another keyboard), you could test this one.

Just to clarify, you’re using windows, right?

aha… sounds logically

yes I use windows

btw in the device manager my pc recognize the keyboard and says all drivers are installed, and it also has the name MPK25 under the poperties

Try this video tutorial, Daniel. Interesting what the guy says about web-cam driver conflicts…

thanks Scott, might be such of those weird conflicts… till now I found no webcamdrivers, but maybe there are also other drivers that have a conflict with the midi-controller

in my situation its exactly like he said… I have no controller appearing on the Input!! :expressionless:

Maybe if this model of keyboard is not in the DAW’s list, choose “other keayboard” or something like that. Did you try to play on this and no signal to your software?

Yea I tried… I chose generic controller… or tried all of the examples in the list of the DAW

I just look now on the device manager which driver I should deinstall… what is record driver for WDM-Video (Win32)… doesn’t look like a webcam driver

edit: I have no webcam drivers… and I deinstall and install the driver of the midi-controller again… no recognize

http://www.roland.com/products/en/UM-1EX/

Like Tom said, try midi interface and connect the keyboard with midi cables to the interface. Maybe this will help, but before try to connect with this cable

http://support.turtlebeach.com/site/kb_ftp/images/midset01.gif

if you have one and if you have basic sound card with game port.

And when you try to play on the keyboard look if there is some midi signal coming in the DAW on midi channel #1, then check if the signal out from the channel #1 on the keyboard.

While you’re trying to figure this out, Daniel, might be an idea to submit a ticket to Akai to see if they can help.

soundroll… the 1th is awesome, I will print it out and run to the next electronic multimedia shop in my town… do I have to look on something specially?

the 2nd don’t fit into my notebook

While you're trying to figure this out, Daniel, might be an idea to submit a ticket to Akai to see if they can help.

thanks Scott, I already submitted one to the german Akai but I also send one to this now

soundroll.. the 1th is awesome, I will print it out and run to the next electronic multimedia shop in my town... do I have to look on something specially?

Nothing special, you buy it and install the drivers and that’s it, it has to work.

soundroll.. the 1th is awesome, I will print it out and run to the next electronic multimedia shop in my town... do I have to look on something specially?

Nothing special, you buy it and install the drivers and that’s it, it has to work.

thanks… so I’m on the way, hope to catch it up before they close

I talk later if its worked out or not :slight_smile:

2 stores… 1 has vacation and the other 1 has new on wednesdays afternoons closed… what a PAIN :smiley:

hi daniel. i can’t directly help bcause i don’t know the exact settings in windows. however have you seen this thread on image line forum: http://forum.image-line.com/viewtopic.php?t=22611&sid=b4c7e5dc1cb342cfd4b7134e99a6485f

someone’s having a problem similar as you do. maybe that could help.

anyway are you using adaptors to power your midi controller?

anyway are you using adaptors to power your midi controller?

no adaptors, only USB… do I need a power adaptor?

big thanks for that link… might helping me