Help! Binary random 1's & 0's in AE

Can some one tell me how to randomly generate ones and zeros in AE. I need a whole screen of them. and im blanking on how to figure it out.

B

then i need to turn them into a tunnel somehow.

Wow Brian,you have to turn them to a tunnel after that,i never do something like that,i am pretty sure this can be done with Text Anarchy,but you know that.
I dont have much experience with this plugin.
maybe felt_ will come up with idea for this.

yeah im trying to not buy a plug in then have to figure it out.

Yo Brian did you try this?

Make a ‘tunnel’ comp something like 500X1000 in size, fill the entire screen with zeros. then play with this animation controls of the text, add character offset, change offset to 1 then add a wiggly, change the minimal amount to 0.

Now create your main comp and add the tunnel comp and add cc cylinder?

I hope it helps

Peace

I’m sure there are some expressions that cover the number generating topic but sadly i never really dove into it…

tX = 10; tY = 10;

tText = “”;

for (j = 0; j < tX; j++) {

for (i = 0; i<tY; i++) {

t= random(100)>50;

t = (t?"1":"0"); 

tText += t;

}

tText += "\r";

}

tText;

Hi Brian,

Here’s an expression method.

Put it in the Source Text property of a text layer and it makes a block of random 1s and 0s that is tX characters long by tY lines high. Works best with a monospace typeface.

Not sure how familiar you are with Javascript syntax… so just incase, the (a ? b : c); is shorthand for an if / else statemtent. If a is true, return b, otherwise return c.

a += b; is the same as a = a+b;

-felt.

PS sorry… the code tag has removed all line breaks from that code. Not exactly easy to read. If anyone knows how to do a line break in a code block, I’d love to know.

I can’t take the code out of the code block or it recognises lots of the code syntax as formatting.

PM me if you need an annotated and nicely spaced version. :slight_smile:

-f.

Does the tunnel need to be straight?

You can just use Cycore Cylinder, if so.

If the tunnel needs to weave, you could generate a series of randomly changing 1s and 0s in a 3D circle, using text on a 3D path. Put it in a precomp.

Then you could arrange multiple iterations of this precomp (collapsed transformations) along a spline that winds through 3D space (making sure that they align to spline). Then offset each comp by a random amount (there’s a script for doing this - the random layer offset - over at AE scripts)

I suspect you could achieve the effect with Particular too, but that would be a pretty code heavy solution.

-f.

Another thought… You use Cinema 4D don’t you? Why not use Mograph in C4D? That would do the job.

Or even animate your flat texture in AE, sweep a circle along a wiggly spine in C4D and then wrap your AE texture around the resulting wiggly tunnel. Export render, spline and camera move back into AE.

-f.

tX = 20; //chars per line
tY = 10; //no of lines

tText = ""; //initialise text

for (j = 0; j < tY; j++) {  //loop thru lines
	for (i = 0; i50; //statement that is true half of the time
		t = (t?"1":"0"); //convert to string
		tText += t; //append to text
	}
	 tText += "\r"; //add line break
}

tText;

1 Like

is this an expression for a text layer? and how would i use it. Do i type out lines of ones and zeros?

Yeah… make a text layer. alt click on the source text and paste the expression in.

It will automatically generate a block of random 1s and 0s. By altering the first two lines of the expression, you can alter the dimensions of the block.

Each frame will give a new pattern of 1s and 0s.

If you want it to animate slower, there’s an extra line or two you need to add.

-felt.

nice idea!

I used it as :

t = random(); //changed, randomize between 0-1
        t = Math.round(t); //changed, round it up to 0 or 1

instead of :

t = random(100)>50;
t = (t?"1":"0"); // I didn't know you can have conditionals if-then-else shorthand like this!, this is good to know

great idea felt!.. do u have background in javascript?

Yeah…that’s a bit neater, actually Fray. I might use that in the future.

Background in Javascript? Not really. My background is in fine art actually. But I’ve been programming things in various forms for many years. I find it’s a really useful weapon in the arsenal.

Incidentally, if you’re interested, here’s the version which uses seedRandom so you can control the frequency of change of the numbers.

tX = 44; //chars per line
tY = 16; //no of lines
tChangeEveryXFrames = 3.1; //how often a new random is generated

tText = ""; //initialise text
t = 0;

for (j = 0; j < tY; j++) {  //loop thru lines
    for (i = 0; i 50; //statement that is true half of the time
        t = (t?"1":"0"); //convert to string
        tText += t; //append to text
    }
     tText += "\r"; //add line break
}

tText;

Code-tastic! :slight_smile:

-f.

you crazy kids and you crazy expression language. I’ll give em a try.

you crazy kids and you crazy expression language. I’ll give em a try.

but there are method to our madness… :smiley:

Yeah...that's a bit neater, actually Fray. I might use that in the future.

Background in Javascript? Not really. My background is in fine art actually. But I’ve been programming things in various forms for many years. I find it’s a really useful weapon in the arsenal.

I bet you must did very interesting work in Generative Graphics and Real-Time Graphics processing :D.

Have you ever look at “Processing 1.0?”:http://processing.org/

Thank you for the AWESOME code! It really helped me out on a project today!

You’re welcome. :slight_smile:

yes, thank you Felt_Tips, you’re code helped me out after searching for a couple hours…
!!!