HEDD monitors

I’ve been using budget monitors(prodipe ribbon8) for the last ten years and I’m thinking of finally upgrading. I’m hoping new monitors that are higher quality will help with mix translation. I found a good deal on HEDD type 20 mk1. Does anyone here use or have any experience with HEDD?

Good monitors. AMT twitter is another question - i am not like such type of HF drivers, because of hyped highs. But you can correct it in monitors or via Linearizer. Also HEDD more linear than Adam. So good choise.

2 Likes

Do you think it’s worth getting the mk2? I think they are dsp so that means another level of ad/da conversion which I’m not too keen on. Another monitor I’m considering is Neumann kh310, i have heard they are super accurate but can be a bit boring to listen to. Apparently this was the main monitor hedd was competing with when they developed the type 20.

Hello, in the same style with a ribbon tweeter, there is the ADAM AUDIO brand which is in berlin. There is also a manufacturer at home in France, for a lower budget, it is the FOCAL brand.

2 Likes

Thanks, I love the look of the focals, though I don’t see how they are lower budget.
Ideally, the best thing would be to try all the different monitors in your own room to see which works best in that particular space but that’s not really feasible for me.

Indeed, for the 3 voices they are the same price. Too expensive for me lol. I will continue for a long time with my little yamaha msp 5. :smiling_face_with_tear:

2 Likes

Neumann is way better. More classic approach and if i remember it s 3 way and bigger LF driver.

1 Like

Funny that you say that as I have heard someone say the hedd is way better. I think when you get to that level of monitor, they are probably both great and it just comes down to personal preference.

So why you asked about opinion? Just to say “funny”?

Maybe funny was the wrong word to use. I really appreciate and respect your opinion. Sorry if that came across wrong.

1 Like

Wtf :unamused::roll_eyes:. How this informative talking turn so harsh for no reason. It cames from nowhere far from Space… People need to really learn to chill… Full support for you @JLJMusic !

It’s ok, we might have different native language, so my post might have come across differently then I intended it to. Hopefully just a misunderstanding of one another.

1 Like

Was busy this days. Thank you, nothing to worry about. Opinion are different and you need to judge by your ears. But as for design - AMT twitter is a beast of it’s own. I tested various speakers with such type of HF drives and most of them sound too wide in terms of stereo and too sweet. Neumanns more about classical design, which means they are robust, solid and reliable. More than having monitors will all modern “bells and whistles” we need monitors to offer better translation of our mixes to other speakers - cellphones, TVs, car radio, etc. Neumanns are more reliable for such tasks. But you need to try it by yourself. Thanks.

2 Likes

Thank you, mister Teacher, in real life i learned :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You’re welcome, I’m glad to hear that :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thanks Lumen! I think the kh310 would be a great option too! @kirk-monteux has a video on YouTube where he stereo mics the output of his kh310+sub setup and does an A/B comparison with the original music file, and I can hardly tell the difference from direct to mic’d speakers.

Wow, great video. I also use subwoofer to complement my monitors. They are of similar design. 3 way with the same placement of drivers, huuuuge. But if it’s closed design (not ported) be ready to lack of bass. I mean it will be super speed with excellent transients, but without that ported “ooomfff” effect. Need some time to adjust to this type of bass reproduction.

1 Like

I felt that way about bass when i first used balanced armature in-ear monitors. You could hear the bass very clearly, just had a much different presentation.

Exactly. It’s better for some genre, not so good for EDM.

1 Like

And i am here, happy with my humble Yamaha HS8. :smiley:

4 Likes