Headphones for Mixing and Mastering

Hello Community,

I am currently planning to buy headphones for mixing under circumstances where I don’t want to bother my neighbours that much. I have a pair of good monitors, so I don’t want to use those headphones solely.

I have analysed the market a bit and found these models being of interest for me:

• AKG K712 Pro

• Beyerdynamics DT 880 Pro

Both sound great. Although I have the feeling that the Beyerdynamics sounds more close then the AKG, the AKG resolution and soundstage was more neutral and less HiFi. So I’ve decided to get the AKG.

What I’ve read about the AKG is that you should use a good preamp to get the most out of it. I own a Komplete Audio 6 Interface. My question is: Do I need a separate preamp or is the headphone out of the Interface sufficient?

Regards
Sascha

Try the Headphones without an Amp and compare it against your monitors. If you think they’re not loud/defined enough, go for an amplifier. IMO Lake People has the best price/performance ratio and their amps can drive any headphone out there. A headamp can make a day and night difference and is highy recommended when you’re going for hi quality headphones.

Sonelibrary said

Hello Community,

I am currently planning to buy headphones for mixing under circumstances where I don’t want to bother my neighbours that much. I have a pair of good monitors, so I don’t want to use those headphones solely.

I have analysed the market a bit and found these models being of interest for me:

• AKG K712 Pro

• Beyerdynamics DT 880 Pro

Both sound great. Although I have the feeling that the Beyerdynamics sounds more close then the AKG, the AKG resolution and soundstage was more neutral and less HiFi. So I’ve decided to get the AKG.

What I’ve read about the AKG is that you should use a good preamp to get the most out of it. I own a Komplete Audio 6 Interface. My question is: Do I need a separate preamp or is the headphone out of the Interface sufficient?

Regards
Sascha

I have the Komplete Audio 6 Interface myself but using the DT 880 Pro which are very linear. I had never any problems to get them loud enough so I think you don’t need any extra amp. But what I recommend is try to wear them for at least an hour to see if they are really comfortable, escpecially when you want to use them for longer sessions, the 880s really hurted my head in the beginning, but now I seems to get used to it :), Cheers

Many thanks for your answers so far. By using an preamp for headphones, is it only for getting them loud or also for getting them running at it’s best level regarding frequencies etc. pp.?

The Komplete Audio 6 is able to get headphones loud. Isn’t the headphone out of that device a kind of preamp? I’ve seen standalone headphone preamps for over 1000$… whats the difference?

I use Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 ohm. Sounds good for me. Actually this is most popular and respectful headphones over the world. Check it out.

rospianoden said

I use Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 ohm. Sounds good for me. Actually this is most popular and respectful headphones over the world. Check it out.

Thank you for your answer. I have already tried it in comparison to the AKG K712. Still the AKG is my favourite. I am more interessted in the fact whether the headphone OUT of the Komplete Audio 6 is good enough or is it better to use an extra preamp.

I think AKG K712 will be ok with Komplete Audio 6 OUT, because impedance of your headphones is 62 ohms only. So i guess it will be enough for rocking AKG K712 through Komplete Audio 6 OUT. Just my opinion.

Hi Sonelibrary.

You’ll only need an amp if the volume is too low. By my calculations I think your interface would easily supply the power needed to run those headphones.

BTW great choice on the cans. Congrats :slight_smile:

I had similar situation where I was in need of good headphones and not too expensive and my teachers at sound engineering school proposed me mostly BD 770Pro. I searched the internet found that they are ok so I bought them. Had them for 5 years then I gave them to a friend and made another search and I found Audio Technica ATH-M50 X.

My opinion:

BD 770pro and I would guess many BD headphones, have better bass, and a lot of it!
But they are not so good in representing the harshness of mid highs and highs.

ATH-M50X are better in mid and highs very flat sound, but the bass is not so pronounced.

I do suggest the ATH-M5oX rather than BD 770pro.

You could boost the bass in the master channel temporary for the ATH and hear the bass better.

And then hear the bass in a good sound system with subwoofer.

But most of all is about learning your headphones and I believe ATH are a good choise!

Good luck!

Pandocrator said

I had similar situation where I was in need of good headphones and not too expensive and my teachers at sound engineering school proposed me mostly BD 770Pro. I searched the internet found that they are ok so I bought them. Had them for 5 years then I gave them to a friend and made another search and I found Audio Technica ATH-M50 X.

My opinion:

BD 770pro and I would guess many BD headphones, have better bass, and a lot of it!
But they are not so good in representing the harshness of mid highs and highs.

ATH-M50X are better in mid and highs very flat sound, but the bass is not so pronounced.

I do suggest the ATH-M5oX rather than BD 770pro.

You could boost the bass in the master channel temporary for the ATH and hear the bass better.

And then hear the bass in a good sound system with subwoofer.

But most of all is about learning your headphones and I believe ATH are a good choise!

Good luck!

Yep, I’ve got the M50x and I have to say they are an excellent pair of headphones. Very flat but natural response. Crisp highs, accurate mids, tight bass and they perform very well even with sub-bass frequencies.

They’re also built very well and are really comfortable. In my opinion they’re unbeatable for their price range.

I’ve got M50m but wanna try HD600 from Sennheiser

rospianoden said

• just like me)

Interesting… i am not sure that the AKG K712 Pro are good enough anymore. So much more people here are mentioning the DT 770 Pro and M50m quite often.

I’ve read a lot of reviews about the AKG K712 Pro and they had been tested with high recommendation in the conclusion? Aren’t they as good as they are promoted in these tests? Yes the DT 770 Pro sound more pleasant to the ears, but I am searching for an neutral sound to analyze and get a good mix?

Strongly reccommend you open-type monitor headphones, for example Beyerdynamics dt 990 (250 ohm), but be shure that your soundcard headphone output have enough imperdance. Otherway headphones will not sound bright and open.

I use this headphones with my focusrite saffire 24 pro dsp, and they sounds really fantastic!!!))))))

PS. I also agree with previous speakers. You can also try close-type dt 770 or semi-close-type dt 880. But IHO 990 sounds more truthfully and more open.

The Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro is the best!!!
I love them;-)

ATH-M50x :wink:

I got both 880’s and 770’s. I prefer 770’s better. They have far more clarity, depth and a hell more low frequencies available to hear.

And there is almost no noise coming out of them if you plan to record something though your mic and monitor it with your headphones.

Hope this helps!

Sonelibrary said

Interesting… i am not sure that the AKG K712 Pro are good enough anymore. So much more people here are mentioning the DT 770 Pro and M50m quite often.

I’ve read a lot of reviews about the AKG K712 Pro and they had been tested with high recommendation in the conclusion? Aren’t they as good as they are promoted in these tests? Yes the DT 770 Pro sound more pleasant to the ears, but I am searching for an neutral sound to analyze and get a good mix?

Just a small suggestion. Go to musical store to listen, listen and listen every headphones that has been recommended here, try to focus on your personal feeling and opinion because who is gonna work in this headphones....? you!!!.... so... you need to catch an inspiration and ecstasy from it sound. If you feel cool and excited so it is your headphones. IMHO.
OlexandrIgnatov said

I got both 880’s and 770’s. I prefer 770’s better. They have far more clarity, depth and a hell more low frequencies available to hear.

And there is almost no noise coming out of them if you plan to record something though your mic and monitor it with your headphones.

Hope this helps!

+1 :slight_smile:

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2941&graphID[]=713&graphID[]=4163&scale=30