Having many genres on my AJ account a bad idea?!

Is uploading many genres of music working against me?
Ive been a folky, vintage rocker and an electronic pop edm producer for years and I’ve made my share of corporate tunes and ambient also. Would you think this is confusing for the long term (when clients follow you etc.). Do the top-authors stick more to one or 2 genres?

Thanks and happy new year!
Avocado

Have a look at PZ’s profile, especially his “speed search” navigation. You’ll see that being prolific in many genres has not worked against him :wink:

So knock yourself out!

Happy New Year :grinning:

I think it’s a great question, @AVOCADO_SOUND. You can look at it a couple of ways… By having a lot of different genres in your portfolio, it’s exposing your content to more customers than might not typically/otherwise see your other genres (if they are following you just for a specific genre you tend to focus on). On the other hand, there are also benefits to having a dedicated genre within your portfolio. One of my favorite AudioJungle authors of all time for example is someone who sticks to the trend of one specific genre and this person has been able to “brand” themselves as the “go to” person for this particular genre.

So it all depends on what you want to focus on. One work around to this is having separate/multiple accounts for different genres. There’s complexity with that too of course in that you might end-up with different author rates due to the success of each (exclusive) account. But it might be an option for anyone who is wanting to keep genres separate.

For the record however, I think @PurpleFogSound’s comment and example of PinkZebra is spot on. Look at authors on other Envato Market sites too - most of the top ThemeForest authors don’t just specialize in one genre. Diversification can help improve exposure. There’s much benefit to not having all of one’s eggs in one basket… :slightly_smiling:

1 Like

I think it’s okay as long you can categorized your own music so buyer will be easier to search within your portfolio. By the way you are in top new authors list mate, congrats!!! :smile:

2 Likes

Do you have a favourite Videohive author, Scott? Maybe someone who sticks to the trend of one specific genre and a person that has been able to “brand” themselves as the “go to” person for that particular genre? :wink:

Thank you!

Am I in the Top New Authors list?! :smiley:

Yep! You’re in 10th place! :tada:

1 Like

WOW!!! :smiley:

Thanks for letting me know… I didn’t see that one! Inspiring! I’m making new tracks every day now…
Curious what will happen… as I’ve now made some tailored tracks, that are ultra happy waiting to be approved…

Nope. No one at all comes to mind.

:stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve been a jingle maker for more than 10 years. So I’m used to many music genre. Master of none :grinning:.
Well let’s see where this jungle takes me. It’s kinda slow jungle for now Btw.

Philip

Cool… but my edm stuff is not selling as much as the other things… so perhaps it’s time to delete :smiley:

M.

Hey @AVOCADO_SOUND, just remember that if you delete something from your portfolio here - you can’t ever re-upload it again. Sometimes it’s better to let it stick around at least for a few months.

2 Likes

How about deleting them, then registering a 2nd account (different name), and re-uploading them? Also not allowed?

Correct. It’s not allowed.

I believe if you want to do something like that…you can contact support with exactly what you want to do, and they can do it for you.

1 Like