Have you guys started using Flex-box in your themes or templates?

Hi,

I’ve just been wondering that since Flexbox has becoming quite common on the web with Bootstrap 4 incorporating it, and since IE8 support is no longer a requirement, have authors here at Themeforest started using it in their items?

I would love to be able to create a theme using or even partially using Flex-box but I’m just not sure what would be it’s limitations or if Themeforest encourages/discourages it’s use by any chance. So I just want to hear the community’s thoughts on this.

Thanks!

Any one? Bump!

Yes, we are starting to use it more and more :slight_smile:

Our latest theme awaiting review is using Foundation 6 Flex Grid.

With IE8 and IE9’s global usage falling below 0.7% and 0.5% respectively, you can make a decision to drop support for those. Everything else supports flexbox using one of the two syntax. Though you will have to be aware of quite a few bugs in some of the browsers (mainly IE11): https://github.com/philipwalton/flexbugs

Thanks! I was actually looking to use Bootstrap 4 for the theme, but it’s still in the Alpha stage and I’m not sure when the official release is going to be, so I might consider using Foundation 6.

Anyway, another thing I forgot to mention is that I always thought for some reason that support was IE9 was mandatory for WordPress theme submissions at Themeforest, but now I’m not able to find it, perhaps I misread it somewhere; however, do you think not having support for IE9 could be an issue for your buyers?

Thanks for your reply. However, could you tell me if there could be an issue in not having support for IE9 from Themeforest or the buyers? I mean, even if the global usage is really low, do you think that many look for IE9 support before buying a WordPress theme?

1 Like

any reply on that?

I’ve already begun creating my theme using Flexbox, as I couldn’t find any where in Themeforest’s guidelines that we are required to support IE9, and because I’ve seen few themes here that got accepted and that only support IE10 and up. So I believe there is no issue in using Flexbox.

Hope that helped.

thanks for the info . we are also looking forward to use flexbox.