Has anybody who is registered with BMI received any Royalty Statements yet?

I’m not sure, look at this video. I made jessie J rock remix years ago, and it seems that Universal (UMG - Universal Music Group) on behalf Lava Music / Republic records has claimed this video. Here is the screenshot from my old channel:

Both Ameritz Music, and Universal Music Group are not PROs. They are music corporations. UMG is actually partnered with AdRev, as you can see here: https://adrev.net

Again, not related to PROs claiming a video.

Yeah, that’s true. Thanks for clearing it up, I was confused!

1 Like

No problem! The terminology can be quite complicated!

@MorningLightMusic is right. PROs collect royalties, not ad revenues. Youtube pays PROs in a similar fashion as broadcast channels would. They don’t make claims on videos, nor do they run ads. They just collect. Although there have been reports of a pretty aggressive PRO (cough… GEMA… cough) that apparently asks for the individual Youtuber to pay the royalties themselves.

AdRev on the other hand has nothing to do with royalties, they generate revenues by running ads.

1 Like

alright thanks for the help everybody i guess i will just have to wait a little longer.

@PurpleFogSound is right, according to what my PRO says. They force YouTube to pay (not individual YouTubers) performance royalties. This has nothing to do with claiming videos or ads.

1 Like

I signed up with BMI, they accepted me and have send me email after 2 days to go and create my account on their site. I did this, but I can’t find my IPI number, and I can’t find myself when I search their catalog by artists. How to find IPI? Do I need to submit some works first so they get me listed and create IPI for me? Thanks and sorry for off topic! :slight_smile:

As I recall, you get the IPI number when you register your first works. They don’t send you a notice about it.
Here is what I found from their FAQ

“BMI writers may learn IPI/CAE number belonging to them or their co-writers by viewing their online works catalog and clicking through to the detail on an individual work.”

Kind of clunky but there you go.

1 Like

Yeah, I saw that but was not able to find any data. My BMI account is still empty, but I wanted to enter my P.R.O. info including IPI to my AJ account as soon as they accepted me. Well ok, time to submit music works! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey, I asked BMI about royaltyes from youtube, if you don’t name your tracks on youtube by the original title how can BMI be aware of them so you get paid?
Here’s what they said:

"Hello,

Performances are tracked according to song title and performing artist reported by the licensee. You will want the title and artist information for the corresponding work in your catalog to match this information as you would expect it to be submitted by YouTube. Revisions to existing registrations can be made by writing to reviseworks@bmi.com. If a registered work is on YouTube under a different title, you can add the alternate title to the registration, also called an AKA.

Please note that YouTube does not provide information on musical works used in videos to BMI unless the songs are in YouTube’s Content ID system.

If you have a publisher, you can ask your publisher to apply to join YouTube’s Content ID program and claim their songs in YouTube’s system.
Information on applying for access to YouTube Content ID: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1311402?hl=en
Application Form: https://www.youtube.com/content_id_signup

If you do not have a publisher or are not accepted to YouTube’s Content ID program, you can join a Content ID partner company. These companies have access to YouTube’s Content ID system and will claim songs on behalf of songwriters.

Note: The following list includes some of the companies providing Content ID services for YouTube as of March 2017. A company’s inclusion on this list does not imply a recommendation by BMI. If you intend to join a Content ID service, you should research the available companies to determine which one is the best fit.
AdRev

http://cid.adrev.net/

Audiam

http://www.audiam.com/

CD Baby

OneRPM

Songtrust

Symphonic Distribution

Tunecore

http://www.tunecore.com/artist-services/youtube-sound-recording

The link below may answer some additional questions on how to provide the metadata to YouTube that is required for them to report performances.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2797370?hl=en

I hope you’ve found this information helpful!"

4 Likes

Well, that’s a another good reason to look into Youtube Content ID Services! I guess I have to reconsider that. I’ve been hesitant to do it because of potential issues that can arise with customers. However, royalties from Youtube probably will be the big long term money maker for us in the future.

Thanks for sharing WaveToys!

1 Like

so the youtube title has to be exactly the same as the registered track on BMI?

Great info!

So, they’re basically saying that they rely solely on what video publishers will declare, or on what the author will submit. They don’t have tools themselves and do not scan Youtube.

I’m betting the percentage of Youtubers declaring the music they used to PROs is very low at best. So it is up to us authors to detect uses and declare. Definitely not very effective.

A lot of money is collectively being lost here, though the technology is here. And whose fault is that? Is Youtube reluctant to work with PROs and refusing access to ContentID? Are PROs not so keen on collecting on behalf of authors, as they get their banket fee from Youtube anyway, and don’t feel the rush to redistribute?

Edit: Had completely misread this part:

This is really interesting albeit a bit mysterious. Youtube is forwarding ContentID data to PROs? Now that’s promising news!

So… Generally what should we do? Even if someone has adrev he should also register in youtube id content or what?

No. As an author you cannot register directly with ContentID, AdRev does that for you.

The information @WaveToys provided indicates that ContentID data may be provided to PROs (BMI at least). And this is the only way they can track your music.

To help track your music and get your royalties, what you need to do as an author is fill the new publisher fields (with tracking numbers, title as registered with your PRO, author name, publisher,…) in the AdRev dashboard when you upload a new file. This should allow PROs to gather the data they need to calculate your earnings.

1 Like

Also, what if we have our own channels whitelisted and monetize our videos via AdSense? When channel is whitelisted, does it mean that AdRev ignores it and don’t even search there for matches? We should ask AdRev about that

except there is no way to add that info to existing tracks we have registered at AdRev…or is there?

Right. It looks like their clumsy interface will not allow that. Maybe their support can do something about it.

i spoke to them and they said they can add pro info to existing tracks. Are you registred with AdRev?