Hard Rejected Search for Feedback

Hi,
In order to improve my tracks i wanted to ask you guys if you can help me with it. What would you change? Thanks :slight_smile:

Maybe you are waisting your precious time here…

Hi, How do you mean this?

This is an outstanding composition. Maybe you can understand what I mean.

Oh thank you! I totally missunderstood you first.

The start it’s maybe a bit long and empty. I don’t know what a reviewer would think of this.

I would make a cleaner mix. It lacks definition. Too much gain in the mid (it sounds harsh-telephonic). Find a place for each instrument/group to peak more than the other in the frequency spectrum too because everything is fighting around the same place here (the harsh area (2000-4000 hz). Make your basses sound more bassy. Your french horns more around (300-500 hz) to make them sound more deep. Choir could be more around (600-1600 hz). hi strings more (1600-3000 hz), trumpets (3000-5000 hz), staccato strings (5000-10000 hz) to make them pierce more through the mix and sounding more open and energic. Cymbals at the the top. Be subtle with this. You still want wide and natural sounding instruments not tiny-harsh sounds.

I would add more reverb tail to make it sounds more in a hall than that.

I hope it helps! :slight_smile:

Thank you very much! These are great tipps. I will try them now. How much gain would you add for each peak?

Use a frequency analyzer (Voxengo SPAN Plus) and your ears (above all your ears). Choose a reference mix. Now, you have to decide from the beginning in details where each instrument/group will peak more than the other. Don’t boost, cut what you don’t need in your instrument to let the place for the other instruments. By exemple, you don’t need a lot of mid and hi for your double basses. You want them warm, so cut them with a hi shelf until it sounds warm enough and really stand out in the mix in the bottom of the spectrum. Use that principle for all instrument/group (keep what you need and cut what you don’t need to make a place for the rest). Like I said, be subtle with that. Try to get your instruments peak 2-4 db more than the other in one area of the spectrum. Use the frequency analyzer to help with that. They still need enough low end and hi end (for most of them). Your low drums and double basses need to share the sub and bass area. You could decide that the low drums will peak more in the sub than your double basses and the double basses more in the bass than the low drums. Find the louder frequency of your drums and cut the double basses at that place if needed. At the end use your ears and your reference mix to determine if the mix sounds good.

How to decide what to place where? It depends of the context (in which register the instrument plays, its role in the track (if you have a dramatic deep track with french horns playing the melody, I would make them peak around (300-500 hz) to make them very round, deep and stand out in the mix). If I have strong staccato strings motifs I will make them peak more around 5000-10000 hz to make them sound open and energic. This is where the artistic part of mixing begins. It needs to make sense in the context.

Sorry for my maybe bad english, It’s not my first language and I wrote this quickly.

Another thing, start eq from sub (low instruments) to treble (hi instruments) because it’s far too easy to cut to much low end on everything and end up with a tiny harsh weak mix if you start by eq hi instruments first. :wink: