Hard reject - What do?

item-feedback

I’ve been writing/recording/licensing for over a decade, so I’m at a loss as to why this track got a hard reject. Can I still resubmit and hope a different reviewer hears it?

Open to suggestions and recommendations. Reviewer said:

does not meet AudioJungle’s commercial production (recording/mixing/mastering) standard, and its commercial composition/arrangement standard, unfortunately.

Sounded like a template to be honest.

Thanks.

Your track is good. I think it is about the mixing. Your track need more punch and clear. the drum need more powerful maybe. Hope it help.

Thanks for your input. Some of your stuff reminds me of dj okawari, especially japan color.

Hi @AudioTrove,

Nice track; it’s almost there but it needs some work. I would definitely say the rejection was down to mixing and production issues. Aside from what LongX has said, here are my thoughts:

• The mix sounds quite mono; try hard-panning certain guitar parts left and right to widen up the stereo image. You can also try panning certain drum mics if you have control over them (OH, room etc) for wideness in the drums.
  • The snare could be louder during the chorus. It sounds very washed out and unclear. If you have control over this in your drum VST; try lowering the rest of the drums (especially the cymbals) and raising the snare volume a bit.
  • There’s a lot of contrast between the verse and chorus. Maybe you could do more to make the transition between these two sections more seamless? You could add more buildup in the intro, or use a big reverse cymbal / riser element to hint at a big chorus coming. You could also introduce parts of the chorus drum kit in the intro.

All in all though, it’s a good track and very close to being approved in my view. You can’t resubmit a hard or soft rejected track without making changes, but see what you can do with the track with the above info. I reckon it could do well on the market.

First Bullet:

Every instrument is on it’s own track, including every instrument for the drums (all cymbals, kick snare, HH, crashes). The chorus involves some fifteen tracks, all spread out over the spectrum, some panned pretty hard, maybe too hard so I really don’t understand your first bullet. Maybe you’re only listening through a one speaker monitor system?

Second Bullet:

I’ll try remixing the drums to bring out the kick and snare and bring down the cymbals. Thanks.

Third Bullet:

I have nothing to say other than thanks for the feedback, and I’ll try to make it more seamless.

Thanks again Mod, I appreciate the time you took to listen and respond.

I was listening through headphones, so of all monitoring systems, these should display wideness clearly. Just panning won’t necessarily widen up the sound of the track. You’ll need to make sure each track is isolated from each other, and sounds different enough from another track. Stereo wideness comes from a difference between the L and R channels in terms of sound (frequencies) and timing, so for example if you double tracked the same guitar part with little difference in playing and EQ, the wideness effect will be minimal, whereas if you applied different EQ patterns for example, you’d be enhancing the width of the stereo image. This is how artificial stereo separation plugins work.

Also, the less dense the mix, the wider the track will sound. If you have piled on too many layers of similar sounds and pushed the levels too high the stereo image will suffer.

Perhaps my comment was too harsh about it sounding “mono” - I can definitely hear certain parts have been panned, but I would try panning them more. Tracks with a big, wide sound always seem to appeal more to buyers. It’s not a necessity in mixing, but more a way of aesthetically enhancing the listening experience.

If you haven’t already, try double tracking the guitars and use different EQ patterns on the L and R channels. Listening closer to the track, my advice would be to hard-pan (100%) the acoustic guitar either left or right (right now it sounds like it’s stuck in the middle), pan some cymbals to the opposite channel to balance things out, and maybe try doubling the vocals as well; especially the “ahh” sections.

Anyway, good luck! I see no reason why this shouldn’t be approved with a bit of polishing.

I think the groove of intro drum 808 drum should change a little bit. Maybe less kick notes for clearer. The guitar groove is good. 4 first bars of intro can be only guitar for more uplifting. Add a noise riser can make the same effect too.

• Compress and drum parallel compress for more punchy.
    Overall, it’s a good composition. Hope it help.

I’m listening to DJ Okawari music now. So good man. Thanks

There are some awesome ideas in your track, and I really like it, however it’s a bit trashy and messy for the purposes of AudioJungle. There is however a genuine charm and lo-fi energy and vitality to this track, and despite the many technical flaws I truly enjoyed it.

Thanks for your input.