Google Fonts Issue on Firefox


#1

Hi All,

I am having issue with Google Font to show correctly, issue is happening on firefox (on windows ) version 9.0.1

The font appears correct for chrome and IE9. font that I am trying to use is Playball and it is becoming comic sans in FF on windows :frowning: … any help ?

(note - previously I tried to use a different google font and that had issues on FF on mac too, I guess FF needs a special reset, or should I not use the ‘cursive’ family that google API suggests ?)

thanks.


#2

Hi All,

Any solutions here? I am still facing the issue only on firefox (both on windows and Mac), however, I found one additional details that the font is not displayed correctly only when I apply bold font-weight to it.

So I go to google fonts, and tick that I want bold version too (700 weight), google gives me the css to add (which I add to my page), if I don’t apply font-weight then the font appears correctly (but it is not bold :() and if I apply font-weight, then font gets changed to the next one in the family.

Following are blocks of code I am using:

And Later (in a separately loaded css which is asked to be loaded after the above code)

h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6 { font-family: 'Droid Serif', serif; font-weight: bold; margin-bottom:18px; }

Once again, works correctly on every other browser except Firefox.

Also, have checked with firebug that there is no style which resetting the styles later.

thanks.


#3

That’s strange. I had one problem like this before, but apparently, !important; fixed it. Give it a shot.


#4

Thanks Enabled, tried !important that didn’t work, but found solution, I haven’t yet tested on all browsers, but adding subset=all while loading the font solved it for Firefox on Mac.

so now the css to load font looks as below:

Also added the normal weight (700normal)


#5
dexterous said

Thanks Enabled, tried !important that didn’t work, but found solution, I haven’t yet tested on all browsers, but adding subset=all while loading the font solved it for Firefox on Mac.

so now the css to load font looks as below:

Also added the normal weight (700normal)

I usually import them directly inside css @import. It works quite good. Try it, maybe that fixes the bug :stuck_out_tongue:


#6
dexterous said

Also added the normal weight (700normal)

Isn’t 100 “normal” rather 700 which is “bold”?


#7
revaxarts said
dexterous said

Also added the normal weight (700normal)

Isn’t 100 “normal” rather 700 which is “bold”?

Yes, you are right, and thats why I never wrote normal earlier, but then I just copied whatever google was using to showcase the font at this link - http://code.google.com/webfonts/specimen/Droid+Serif#variants

If you see from firebug, the code to import the font is as follows :

@enabled, haven’t tried directly into css, will try it later. Thanks.


#8

well, the issue is not yet solved, now it is not working on Firefox on windows. :frowning: even Google’s own page where it is showing variant styles doesn’t show correctly ( for droid serif 700 )


#9

bit of a necro, sorry, but it’s probably the NOSCRIPT security plugin - you have to allow googleusercontent.com to let Firefox fetch the Google fonts


#10

There should be a little notification above the reply textarea saying “This topic is very very old.” on topics like this.


#11

I realize this topic is over a year old, but since I just ran into this problem, found this post via google and then figured it out on my own I thought I’d throw in my two cents for anybody in a similar boat.

The reason that it wasn’t working was that the user was embedding two font weights (700,400) and then using font-weight:bold to try to get the 700 (bold) to show up.

The solution is to set the font weight in the css to the number rather than the text description (bold, semi-bold). So the css should read: font-weight:700; for the bold and font-weight:400; for the normal.