Full roadmap for an accepted track (inc. PRO, AdRev, Full / Partial Rights, YouTube takedowns)

Hi there, imagine a track gets accepted.

What should happen next?

• If already signed up, register that track with them?

• How to register the track with the PRO?

• I’ve heard PROs will take down a YouTube video with your track, even if the owner has paid for your audio track, is that true?

• Does the PRO also check the entire internet to see if anyone uses your audio?

• Is the PROs jurisdiction global or just for your country?

• How much money does the PRO take to protect you? What percentage?

• What is AdRev? Are AdRev & PROs mutually exclusive?

• How to use AdRev?

• Regarding giving AJ full rights to a song: I have signed up for partial rights at a reduced profit percentage. Could l change my mind and give AJ full rights? And then change my mind back? Or is this fundamental predicate of my entire account set in stone when l select which option l want, at sign up?

Hello! Try reading here. I think this will help you deal with some of your questions. Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks! It covers PROs as far as AJ is concerned. I think my questions are even more basic than that, l just don’t understand the scene to begin with. As a result l find any downstream articles on PROs impenetrable :frowning:

BUT I’m glad to have the link you gave. It’s hard to get info on here, things seem to be in places that aren’t HMTL linked to each other.

It’s up to you. Registering with a PRO is allowed, but not mandatory. If you do register, you need to set your Audiojungle account to PRO affiliated.

Sure. If you don’t register your music, PRO won’t collect anything.

Different PROs have different process. Though I think most now allow you to simply upload your master.

PROs do not know nor care if the audio was licensed. In any case, performance royalties are owed. Some PROs are most aggressive than others, one of them has been known to block videos in their own country. This is not a common practice though.

No. The Internet is way too big. Most PROs rely on declarations rather than inspection. They seem to still not be using fingerprinting technology.

PROs can only collect in their country. However they all have agreements with other PROs so that they’re ultimately able to collect worldwide (though of course it takes longer to see those royalties)

I don’t think the system is as transparent as to be expressed directly in percentage. Usually, performances royalties for all authors from a same PRO are pooled together and then divided according to attributed share points.

AdRev has nothing to do with PROs. AdRev is a third-party company that allows you to register your music to Youtube’s ContentID fingerprinting program. ContentID issue copyright claims when a fingerprints match a video, putting ads on the said video and collecting advertisement revenue on your behalf.

Register there, then upload your tracks. The thing is, AdRev is not accepting new Audiojungle authors. Other third parties (AdRev competitors) seem to have a similar policy in place.

There is a misunderstanding here. You never give AJ any rights to your item, AJ is merely a platform on which you sell your content. You are actually talking about the exclusivity status which just means that you sell a given track exclusively on their platform. Your being non-exclusive means you can sell the same tracks on other platforms as well. In both case, it’s not about the rights to a song.
Your exclusivity status is not set in stone and you can change it in your settings.

1 Like

Thanks dude! Really appreciate your responses.

1 Like

Rereading your questions, I noticed that maybe you weren’t clear on one important point.

PROs mainly collect on broadcast uses (TV - FM radio) and live events/venues. They do also collect performance royalties for internet uses (mainly Youtube) but this is still something that’s relatively new and that not all PROs have achieved. This, of course, will change in time.

Ok so reading between the lines, l would assume:

• AJ doesn’t get too involved with PROs because PROs shoot first and ask questions later, and this can deeply offend a YouTube uploader using your track, when their video gets taken down

• AdRev has overlap with PROs as far as YouTube is concerned, BUT AdRev (plus similar companies) no longer get involved with AJ (unsure why though? I’d expect it to be good money for them)

Well, no. AJ doesn’t get involved with PROs because AJ is neither a music producer nor a publisher. But they certainly do allow PRO registered music. PROs won’t take down videos from Youtube. I said one of them has been known to have done this, but it’s an extremely rare occurrence. Actually only buyers using AJ music in a live context may (or may not) be affected by PROs.

AdRev does not really overlap with PROs. PROs collect performance royalties. AdRev collects advertisement revenues. Two completely different things.
AdRev has never been involved with AJ (these companies do not talk, unfortunately for us). It’s just that now they explicitly reject applications from AJ authors. The reason is indeed a mystery for us authors. It has to do with a Youtube policy regarding royalty-free music. But we’ve never been told what this policy actually was.

1 Like

Thanks, good info, good summary of the scene