For those thinking about Logic X or Protools 11 (64-bit)

This is a great article laying out the pros and cons of switching to a 64-bit DAW (specifically ones without 32-bit support). The biggest concern being plug-in compatibility. Give it a solid read if you’re looking to upgrade :slight_smile:

Thanks Jon, will check it out! I’m currently on Logic 9 and PT HD 9. No compelling reason to upgrade at the moment, but I know I’ll have to eventually. :slight_smile: I do know there are a few options for 32bit plug in support in Logic X.

A nice workaround to use 32bit stuff in PT11: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OV9Ydy9DNQ

Only works on Macs though…

filmTones said

Thanks Jon, will check it out! I’m currently on Logic 9 and PT HD 9. No compelling reason to upgrade at the moment, but I know I’ll have to eventually. :slight_smile: I do know there are a few options for 32bit plug in support in Logic X.

I’m on Logic 9 too at the moment, but based on the poor feedback on Apple’s forums about Logic X and Mavericks I’m particularly uncertain about upgrading yet! I’m still on Lion at the moment, but thinking of upgrading to mavericks soon.

As much as it pains me to change DAW again (I switched from Sony ACID to Cubase to Digital Performer and then Logic), I’m seriously thinking about moving to Reaper with Pro Tools 11 to be able to pass over mix sessions to a mix engineer.

Re: 32bit support in any DAW, I use 32bit plugins via VEPro and it works a treat. Costs around 230 euros though…http://www.viennaensemblepro.com/

I switched to Logic X and love it…

Taco, I’d never heard of VEPro before but it looks pretty useful. I’ll def check that out more.

Mlamanna, did you run into any compatibility issues with any of your 3rd party plug-ins after switching to X?

tacoMusic said

Re: 32bit support in any DAW, I use 32bit plugins via VEPro and it works a treat. Costs around 230 euros though…http://www.viennaensemblepro.com/

I need to check this out. I actually own VEPro but haven’t used it much. Another friend of mine told me about this possibility as well, I just need to sit down and figure out how to set it up. Thanks for reminding me!

@FilmTones and @Jon - it’s definitely worth the learning curve. If you like, I can pass you over a Logic and VEPro template with all the routing in place so you can see how I set things up?

I haven’t got a template for 32 bit plugins, but the principle is the same (you just load up the 32-bit VEPro) and it could be useful to learn from / speed up the learning process. From a film-scoring perspective, it’s become essential for me to distribute load across all cores in my system efficiently and to be able to use plugins easily.

The only pain in the ass is the automation side of things which involves some complex routing and additional tracks in your sequencer to control them, but once it’s all in place, you can save a template to start from.

Cheers,

Taco

tacoMusic said

@FilmTones and @Jon - it’s definitely worth the learning curve. If you like, I can pass you over a Logic and VEPro template with all the routing in place so you can see how I set things up?

I haven’t got a template for 32 bit plugins, but the principle is the same (you just load up the 32-bit VEPro) and it could be useful to learn from / speed up the learning process. From a film-scoring perspective, it’s become essential for me to distribute load across all cores in my system efficiently and to be able to use plugins easily.

The only pain in the ass is the automation side of things which involves some complex routing and additional tracks in your sequencer to control them, but once it’s all in place, you can save a template to start from.

Cheers,

Taco

Taco, that would be awesome! I have your email, so I will get in touch through there. Thanks again, looking forward to checking it out!
Scott
filmTones

I havent used pro tools, i use logic pro X, and i really like it :wink: The only thing that i hate is automation latency bug