Finally registering my portfolio on Identifyy...

Hi guys!

I know, I know… it took me forever to take this step. Believe me, it was not a “No ContentID” marketing strategy or anything. Just a plain combination of my natural laziness, the fact that I was making a very decent income with things just as they were till Elements and that since years ago my focus is custom works.

That said, I’m finally going Identifyyed. I expect certain level of mess with client complains as, though I’m not a top seller or anything, I have almost 6k sales. I’ll do my best giving support and dealing with that as clearly, politely and friendly as possible.

A few concrete questions:

1. If a track was used in a game developed by a customer that bought the proper license (Music Mass Reproduction) and a few YouTubers published gameplay videos of that game, will they get their contents blocked? Do they need to buy the license themselves?

1. I’m pretty sure it’s somewhere in the forums but I can’t find it right now, is there some kind of template document with instructions about how to remove a YouTube claim?

1. If a client lost its license document, he or she can always go to their downloads tab and grab the license certificate again, right?

1. How long (days) does it usually take since a user claims a dispute and it gets cleared for usage?

1. Last but not least, do I need to go track by track marking all of them as “YouTube Content ID Registered” in each description? Gosh, I’m so bored and overwhelmed already if I do.

Thanks guys! Let’s see how this goes.

4 Likes

Hey Wormwood, here’s the Content ID blurb I put on my website, feel free to use it and edit it to your liking:

YouTube Content ID

How to clear YouTube Copyright Claims

Content ID is a digital finger-printing system that helps identify copyrighted material used in YouTube videos. We use a service called ‘Haawk’ to protect the intellectual property of our recordings. We regret that this causes an inconvenience to our customers, having to clear the claim, but if we do not protect our music in this way, we leave ourselves open to fraudsters who might register our music for themselves in order to claim the advertising revenue.

If you have purchased a licence, it is easy to clear a copyright claim. It’s important to know too, that this is not the same as a copyright ‘strike’ on your channel and clearing these claims is a common practice in the YouTube video upload process.

CLEAR A CLAIM:

Method 1. Directly through Haawk:

This is the most direct method. Please fill the following form on the Haawk website with your details, remember to include your licence details and a quick note to say that you have purchased a licence from XYZ in the ‘Additional Message’ field. Your licence details are the information found in the top half of the first page of your XYZ Licence PDF. You can download a copy from the ‘Licence History’ section of your XYZ customer account.

Method 2. Via YouTube Studio:

• Hover your mouse over ‘Copyright Claim’ and click ‘See Details’.
  • In the ‘Actions’ section, select ‘Dispute’.
  • Check the box ‘My dispute isn’t based on any of the reasons above…’ and continue.
  • Select the ‘Licence’ option and continue.
  • Check the box ‘I have permission to use the content from the copyright owner.’ and continue.
  • Fill the box with your licence details with a note to say that you purchased a licence from the XYZ website, check the mandatory boxes and hit ‘Submit’.

To answer your questions:

1. Personally, I wouldn’t worry too much about this. Most gaming YouTubers worth their salt will game with muted music and add their own soundtrack anyway for copyright reasons. Technically, they would need to buy a licence I think. @PurpleFog might know better about that though.
  2. ^^
  3. Yes, the licence is always available in the downloads section.
  4. I’ve seen the numbers 24 hours directly through the Haawk clearance form, and 48 hours through YouTube quoted. Not quite sure where those numbers come from though. Personally, I don’t like to make that kind of guarantee from a service that I don’t control directly.
  5. The mighty Item Updater can automate this for you!
    Just in case you’ve never used it, here’s a screenshot:

Use the URL Helper to list all your item URLs (might have to then siphon out any SFX, not sure about that) and then copy them into the top field. Fill the other two fields as shown, hit save, then hit the Start button and sit back and have brew. (or two. Might take a while.)

3 Likes

Love u, man! Thx soooo much for the detailed blurb! (I’ll have to wordreference that) :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Great decision @WormwoodMusic!

I think @criskcracker has given you all that you need. Regarding your first question, you just have to keep in mind that those gamers are not your customers and you have zero commitment towards them. Why should you be accommodating non-paying third-parties? Many of us music authors are simply over thinking this, but the bottom line is, it’s not our issue.

2 Likes

You can use free Chrome extansion to do group editing instead of track by track. It is called: Item Updater for Envato Item Updater for Envato Market™ - Chrome Web Store

Btw check my guide, there are two chapters regarding CID and pdf file.

1 Like

Ok, so I gathered most of my portfolio and, after preparing the guides and documentation you guys so kindly suggested, I’ll move forward and register everything hopefully next week.

One last question: I grabbed most of my tracks directly from the renders in my hard drives but, in time, almost every single one of them was renamed several times in AJ. Is it strictly necessary that the tracks are registered in Identifyy with the exact same stupid title they have in AJ? If so I guess I’ll have to bore myself to death renaming everything to “Emotional bla bla”, “In the Stomp it is”, “Is On the Yoga Meditation” and all that cr#p…

Thx again for your help! :slight_smile:

Hi, I always use the “artistic” real name on Identifyy, not the AJ one.
In case of any claim, this is the name that you’ll see, so if you have an original, nice title, use it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks a lot, mate!!! Huge help! So basically they should be able to find matches and misuses and act accordingly disregard the Identifyy registred track has a different name than when it was downloaded from AJ.

That’s a huge release and it will definitely speed things up. And also, thx so much @RedOctopus for the super in depth articles you posted.

Will let you know as soon as I have my tracks uploaded there.

Yep, but if your client bought license for “Happy Optimistic” and your track is registered as “The Sky Is Blue”… Computer from Identifyy will match the video with “The Sky Is Blue” and your client will make a claim with license for “Happy Optimistic”. How human Haawk employee can judge if this is the same song? Your client will have to send link to your song (but what if you have changed title one more time to another abstract title…?).

I mean this system is very vague and we do not know what Identifyy makes in such situations. But I would register both: main and alternative title which is less or more similar to your other titles so human Identifyy employee can quickly assosiate them one with each other without additional steps and problems for your client.

The only thing I am not sure is whether there is an alternative title field or no xD

1 Like

Hello, I allow myself to intervene in the discussion. In my zip file I attach a pdf file containing information on the title, my IPI number with my PRO. Identifyy works with content ID it doesn’t care about the title. On identified I mark the ISWC numbers of each title.

1 Like

So how do they verify text license clients send them? In the license there is only author name (even not a composer!) and title…

Matching is an automatic process, but license verification is based on audio and text checking I suppose.

1 Like

It might be worth firing off the question to someone at identifyy help for an answer. I’ve never had any issues with clients trying to clear tracks with different names from different sites. Indeed, some of my tracks have three names, since some platforms are really anal about track naming. I don’t sell hundreds of licences a month though.

I’m just guessing here, but when you sign up, they ask you if you sell your music on RF sites and that could trigger some sort of automatic search of all the RF platforms they have listed in a database. I suppose that when they get a match, they would just cross-reference the information provided to them in the licence details, whether it matches the title on their records or not. Or perhaps they do it manually, I don’t know, but I’m sure they are aware that the same tune can have multiple names. Probably best not to assume though, so I’ll ask the question and see what they say…

1 Like

Well, this is the question that I asked:
‘Hi, I sell my music on a few different royalty-free sites. Some of them ask me to change the name of a track, meaning that the same track might have multiple names. Do I have to upload the track multiple times for each different name it has?’

I’ll post their response when they get back to me.

1 Like

Ok, I’m seeing a few possible problems I may have from what @ED-MusicProductions and @RedOctopus mentioned above

1. I’m quite sure (cause I can’t even remember) 90% of my tracks in AJ had several name changes and I wouldn’t possibly know how it was called when a client might have bought them. It’s almost impossible they’ll match. Ouch.
    1. I wasn’t even aware till yesterday about the existence of ISWC. Is it something I can postergate for the near future, after the current registration process?
    1. @az_studio and @criskcracker, yeah, it’s definitely a very wise move to add a PDF in the ZIP file but all my tracks till today obviously don’t have it and with the new 8 days for review for a keyword it would take me like forever to repack the ZIPS with the PDF. I guess I’ll do that move from now on though, that’s for sure, but now the year

So to sum up, moving forward with Identifyy, all clumpsy and tumbling like every single thing I in my life. The information you guys are pouring here is pure gold so thanks a bunch and any other piece of data you might have, it’s more than welcome.

HUGE thanks, once again!
b.

BTW: If you check my tracks now they should have the ContentID html5 code and the description adjustment. Almost there!

Already did that on friday with almost the exact same question, but with the weekend in the middle I’m still waiting for the answer. I have to say they have a pretty agile turnaround time, though! All great so far.

1 Like

The ISWC (International Standard Music Work code) is provided by your PRO for each track that you register with them. I recommend registering your music there too, especially if you have sold any broadcast licences.

1 Like

BTW I’ve checked it and it looks like there is no additional title field in Identifyy. What a pity.

I think that we should change titles as rarely as possible. Because it makes a copyright mess. But like others said - we all have bigger or smaller mess with titles and usually no visible problems with that.

But I can imagine that our whole industry have a big royalties/monetization leakage due to a problems with the title verification… I can also imagine that human employees in CIDs make more mistakes and have less motivation while verifying matches of the messed portfolio… In other words do not change title if you want to maximize royalties/monetization.

Yeah, sold quite a few of those; I was planning registering everything in BMI. Is it a problem if I do this AFTER Identifyy or should I put that (I mean, Identifyy) on hold until my portfolio is completely registred in a PRO?

No problem, you can do that this way.

1 Like

(That’s great! I’m sure it will be a real benefit for you.)
I think the two entities are completely unrelated. The ISWC field isn’t mandatory on identifyy, so I’m not sure that leaving it blank would cause any issues, since it is not a number quoted on the licences.

1 Like