Files encrypted?

Hello envato community!

I recently bought a system and I realize that there are several encrypted files, so I have no way to modify them.

Is this valid?
Or do I ask for a refund?

Thanks!

Hi @mateoagudelo,

As a general rule, files should not be encrypted as the primary purpose of the marketplace is to sell source code. There are certain exceptions to this rule though, and it’s really going to depend on what category the item is in.

My recommendation is to start by contacting the author of the item. They should be able to provide you with the raw source code upon request. If that doesn’t work out, you can certainly raise a refund request.

Hope that helps!

The product is a PHP script.
And some files come encrypted.

¿What would those exceptions be?

Thanks!

The primary purpose of the PHP Scripts category is for purchasing code to build upon, and encryption would defeat that purpose, so it’s generally not allowed but reviewers could make exceptions on case-by-case basis.

If the author is willing to provide the raw source code to you over email, Envato may not care at all. They’ve gotten more lenient on this stuff in recent years. It’s also possible that the file is not actually encrypted, but rather packaged into a unique format. It’s definitely best to reach out to the author first for clarification.