Featured Items - instant benefits and afterlife

Hi Folks!

In this thread I’d like to ask fellow authors who’s had featured tracks on AJ, how having a featured track worked out for them.

Was it a new track, or some older one picked from your portfolio?
How much did the sales for that track increase while being on the opening page?
Did the trend continue after leaving the spotlight (and the AJ opening page)?
Did the featuring have notable effect on the rest of your portfolio?
Did buyer traffic increase in the long term after the featuring?

I’d love to read any of your answers/stories/experience about this.

Cheers!

6 Likes

I love the thread @SixideBeats, not sure why no one is responding. I myself have not had a featured item, but would love to hear some feedback from those who have, instead of just stalking them on Aj haha. Ultimately we are all looking for success for ourselves here, as well as, wanting success for AJ and other authors. The better authors do, the better AJ does leading to the better we all do!

2 Likes

Hi I had a featured track 4 years ago, the market place was a little different :stuck_out_tongue: For example, you could only see 4 (or 6, can’t remember) featured files per moth in the frontpage. So you had 1 month of exposure.

Was it a new track, or some older one picked from your portfolio?
It was a one month old track. The track price was $12 or less.(I received for a long time, less than 7$) At that time I wished they would have chosen a different track, something Pop and more expensive :stuck_out_tongue:

How much did the sales for that track increase while being on the opening page?
At least 1000% It was my best seller for a long time. But it never reached the top sellerslist , neither bombastic sales.

Did the trend continue after leaving the spotlight (and the AJ opening page)?
Half of the sales of the track were from those first 2 months and the other half was during the following years. The spotlight helped in other ways, because some VH users picked the track and kept the track alive… Staying alive :dancer:

Did the featuring have notable effect on the rest of your portfolio?
I didn’t noticed it. The only notable effect I recall was the sales and traffic on that track. Also, it have a notable effect in my mood :rocket: It made me look AJ, as a possible way to make a living.

Did buyer traffic increase in the long term after the featuring?
It didn’t increase, it stayed constant during all these years.

Track: Sport Grid -
Purchases: 239 (4.19 sales p/month) }

2 Likes

This is a great topic! I was fortunate to get a featured item on Monday Nov 29th 2016, with this track:

The track was exactly one year old when it was featured, and had only accumulated 15 sales. Those sales had come gradually (about one per month), they did not appear quickly when the track was initially uploaded in late 2015.

I did a very detailed analysis of every track in the featured items list in the weeks following my feature, which you can see in these screenshots. The highlighted cells are the weeks where the track was in the popular files chart, and the outline identifies the weeks the track was on the AJ home page (10 weeks per item).

My file was also fortunate to make it onto the top selling chart for the previous 3 months, but I’m not sure buyers even look at that chart, it’s right down the bottom of the page.

5 Likes

Very interesting thread @SixideBeats
Thank you @MeGustaMusic @GalaxyAudio for sharing your expirience with the rest of us
It seems that getting featured item is kind of a random?
It would be cool to hear more stories about getting featured file :slight_smile:

What a great thread!

I was always interested about this fact. So glad there are people that been featured and willing to share their thoughts.

Looking forward to seeing insights from all other marketplaces as well.

I am also curious on how they pick featured items.

I’ve done my best…

• Discovered security issue & earned a place in Honor Roll
  • Offered free file of the month
  • Offered discounted item in Envato Bundle
  • Won PHP Contest, Plugin Contest, API Contest
  • Won T-Shirt Contest from Envato Studio
  • Written Blog Post on Community
  • Been constantly Trending
  • Appeared in two magazines Front Page
  • Constantly updated existent items & uploaded quality new ones
  • Offered super fast support
  • Been a beta tester
  • … and what I didn’t do!

Despite all these I’ve never been offered a Featured Author or Featured Item!

1 Like

Thank you very much @MeGustaMusic and @GalaxyAudio for taking the time and sharing your experience!
It’s very exciting to see where you can get with a featured track. And the tracking chart is awesome @GalaxyAudio.

1 Like

@SixideBeats - just a quick update, my sales for my once-featured item were 7 this week, continuing the gradual descent. Maybe it will plateau at around 4 to 5 sales per week, or perhaps it will end up like all the other items in my portfolio, which each get about one sale per fortnight or per week.

However I’m hoping that the fairly high overall sales figures (currently 377) will mean that it gets a decent placement in search results. But it seems fairly obvious to me that the majority of buyers go straight to the popular files list rather than the search engine. Also, rock is always a hard sell on AJ, in particular the more post-rock anthemic style I tend to create.

As I saw in my quick and not very wide research, if they pick one of your corporate tracks for featuring, you’re good. If some other tune gets the spotlight, you’re only good as long as it’s on the starting page. :frowning:

Yes you’re absolutely correct! I was a little unlucky with that :slight_smile:

Spot on.

I was featured with a cinematic track… it sold a lot as long as it was on the frontpage.
But as soon as it was gone, so were the sales.

1 Like