Extended License for a Single Theme to be sold to Multiple Users

I’m looking at developing my own Bootstrap theme (to sell at a later time) and am looking at left sidebar navs (amongst other things).

I’ve found a Sidebar Navigation project here in CodeCanyon and have reviewed the “Extended” license regulations.

I want to make sure what I’m reading/thinking is correct:

• I can buy the Extended license of this single Sidebar Navigation item, incorporate it into my theme, and tweak it as needed.
  • I can include this altered Sidebar Navigation code in the theme, package it, and sell it on an external market place.
  • As long as I don’t make another Theme, and include this same purchased Sidebar Navigation code in that new theme, I’m okay.

Am I missing something? Is this a correct interpretation of the licenses?

Thanks much for the input/help,

Jon

I’m almost certain that if the author of the plug-in is exclusive author, you can’t include the plug-in in items for marketplaces other than Envato, even if you purchase an Extended License.

Thank you, OsamaSayegh.

I think the license needs to be clearer if what you are saying is the case.

Extended License #3
An End Product is one of the following things, both requiring an application of skill and effort.

(a) For an Item that is a template, the End Product is a customised implementation of the Item.
(b) For other types of Item, an End Product is something that incorporates the Item as well as other things, so that it is larger in scope and different in nature than the Item.

In this case my “End Product” is the entire Theme (including HTML/CSS/Images), of which the Item is a part of the whole, so that matches #3b.

Extended License #6
You can modify or manipulate the Item. You can combine the Item with other works and make a derivative work from it. The resulting works are subject to the terms of this license. You can do these things as long as the End Product you then create is one that’s permitted under clause 3.

So I’m covered there as that’s exactly what I’ll be doing. I’ll be manipulating the Item and incorporating it into the overall Theme.

Extended License #8
You can’t re-distribute the Item as stock, in a tool or template, or with source files. You can’t do this with an Item either on its own or bundled with other items, and even if you modify the Item. You can’t re-distribute or make available the Item as-is or with superficial modifications.

That seems to counter what #6 just said. It’s the “stock” part of it that might make the difference. If I make an End Product that is a bunch of Sidebar Navs, and don’t alter the Item I’m purchasing, then it’s “stock” (?)

Any ideas? Anyone had this discussion before? (I’ve combed the Forums but can’t really find an answer…)

I agree the license is quite confusing when it comes to this part, but I was talking from exclusivity point of view and I wasn’t/am not 100% sure.

From the FAQs, I found this:

So I believe it’s okay to include the plugin in items for external marketplaces if the author is non-exclusive.

If you would like to get an official answer from Envato, contact them here: https://help.market.envato.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

I really appreciate the help, OsamaSayegh.

Have a good one.

Jon