Error when installing theme: "Unable to create directory... Is its parent directory writable by the server?"

Hi guys,

I just installed WordPress 4.0, and now I’m trying to upload the this Themeforest theme. But I’m running into this all-too-familiar error whenever I try to upload and install the theme’s .zip:

“Unable to create directory wp-content/uploads/2014/10. Is its parent directory writable by the server?”

So far, I’ve tried the following with no success:

I’ve searched these forums (and Google), but all of the solutions I’ve been seeing apply to much earlier versions of WP. Here’s an image of my FTP directory if it helps any.

My WP is installed in my root/HTML folder.

Any thoughts on what else I can do to fix this? It’s the only thing holding me back!

I also tried disabling the ‘Organize my uploads into month- and year-based folders’ option in the Settings > Media, but I still get an error:

Unable to create directory wp-content/uploads. Is its parent directory writable by the server?

Hello. Have you tried contacting the author to see if they have any idea? It can find their support tab here.

They may have seen that error before :slight_smile: Thanks!

As this is a WordPress permissions error and not a theme error I suggest googling or searching the WordPress.org forums - I found this that may be useful:

https://wordpress.org/support/topic/unable-to-create-directory-is-its-parent-directory-writable-by-the-server-1

Hey!

I received this error when developing a site for one of my clients. Can you make wp-content writeable? Its what fixed all my issues :slight_smile:

chmod -R 755 wp-content/

This is a common problem. You may follow this Tutorial to solve unable to create directory uploads in WordPress.