Envato Studio and Twenty20 to close

Aside from envato being trademarked, the complexity, technical, legal costs (let alone marketing as @ki-themes rightfully said) to run an alternative website properly would be huge. It’s not as easy as just building a website.

It’s also important not to under estimate the value of envato’s existing infrastructure and resources when it comes to doing this.

4 Likes

Charlie, there is a high chance that one day you will receive a heartfelt goodbye from Envato too. These guys are desperate, upset, and sad because of the closure. It’s affecting their lives. They are trying to find ways to be able to continue their journey and provide for their families.

You do not leave helpful comments to them. You seem to be mocking/ lecturing them. It feels like you are enjoying rubbing salt into their wounds. Why don’t you keep your negativity to yourself and leave them to freely discuss their ideas with each other?

They can have their dreams and goals and they can make them. If they want to create a new website together then let them do that. They don’t need lectures about the financial cost and complexity, technical stuff, etc. They are smart people and they will figure things out. They won’t break under pressure!

4 Likes

I certainly never intended to put anyone down and have said all along that I recognise the severity of the situation, and that I would applaud any realistic ways to help.

Nevertheless - preventing visible confusion and misunderstanding that will only lead to even greater frustration or disappointment is not a bad thing.

3 Likes

@TiborMiklos @ki-themes @TodorKolevDesign

There but for the grace of God go I -

We all recognise the severity of this issue, and in our own ways have done and said, raised concerns, made comments in one forum topic or another. At the end of the day we do not own or have shares in Envato and therefore can only help as best as we can.

@ki-themes - I didn’t know it was against studio rules so I apologise. I agree that the closure is quick - 6 months would have been better. Marketplaces will come and go - just like business owners similar to myself. I try hard to keep in the competitive market as a sole trader, but there is always someone biting at your heels. I have no doubt one day I won’t be around, and that is just life!

@TiborMiklos - of course @charlie4282 recognises the desperation, but you are shooting the messenger, not the source.

Believe it or not (and we don’t get paid for this) we’re just here to help and support you as much as we can. We’re not perfect, and we will make mistakes of course. But hey we are trying our best :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Many of us, the Express Service providers in 8 years of work entrust our Trajectory to Envato Studio. I believed that I had stability and support there. For this reason, unfortunately, like many colleagues, I did not try to grow as a provider in other FreeLancer platforms or in a particular way.

Just For Information: Due to the way “Express Services” were handled and assigned, many buyers probably believed they were dealing with someone from the “Envato team”, so I think, in a way, we were representing Envato.

Envato says that the decision to Close was not taken lightly, so why were we notified so suddenly?
They know that many of us were counting on the revenue stream from Express Services.

What is the message that Envato is sending with this?

I understand that this is a Business, but really, can’t there be a better Closing, with more understanding towards us?

It’s an Envato decision, and if they don’t want to continue with Studio that’s fine. But I think we Express Service Providers deserve a more favorable resolution, and in my opinion, this can be easily possible if there is interest and empathy for us. That would convey a different message…

6 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Twenty20 contributor question - migrating content to Elements

So, all these discussions, requests, and suggestions ended up like this.

Yes, I know it is only our (Express Service Providers) fault that we decided to work for express jobs and didn’t establish profiles on other platforms. It was our decision and that was wrong.

@touringxx Just For Information: Due to the way “Express Services” were handled and assigned, many buyers probably believed they were dealing with someone from the “Envato team”, so I think, in a way, we were representing Envato.

agree with you…

@touringxx It’s an Envato decision, and if they don’t want to continue with Studio that’s fine. But I think we Express Service Providers deserve a more favorable resolution, and in my opinion, this can be easily possible if there is interest and empathy for us. That would convey a different message…

I don’t think they have any sympathy or understanding of what they did to us…

If they can shut down the express jobs then it means they can and they will close some marketplaces too in the future… Less express jobs mean less sell and less sell means they will shut down that…

2 Likes

@BenLeong Would you consider a new paw as a reminder for Studio for all of the providers ?

I noticed that you’re offering suggestions for the Twenty20 providers to join Elements. I’m not optimistic about this but do you have any idea/plans for the Studio providers in the near future ?

1 Like

This disappoints me a lot… they consider twenty20 but not the service providers who spent their own time building Envato’s reputation as the service provider.

Because, as @touringxx said, many buyers thought Envato Team is providing the service

I personally work in that mindset (if I make any wrong Envato will face that, I tried to do out of the scope all time to increase the reputation)

And the result is zero now… :frowning:

3 Likes

I understand your situation and feeling but my suggestion to you to lower expactations from Envato related to Studio.

Accept that we ( all ) made a mistake by counting on Envato ( Studio ) but it’s time to move one. It’s easier for some providers, it may not be easy for you but there’s not much to do.

1 Like

yes, I have to… I am trying to work on other platforms and also for marketplaces but it is looking like my creative brain is not supporting me… feeling like my brain got old and it is not working as in like past. the graphic designing industry has upgraded a lot and becomes tough… by doing that service instead of creating creative graphic items I damaged my creative mind… pray for me :frowning:
Thanks

3 Likes

Would it be still possible to access to the all invoices ( tax purposes including the previous years ) after the 21st of August?

Please Migrate Envato Service Providers to Elements also,It will be helpful for service providers to continue on the platform.we spend 8 years on Envato Studio. Sudden closure of studio make us unstable in our situation.I have loans paid with Envato Studio income. Now it will affect a lot. Companies ignore freelancers and prefer full time employee first.

Integrate Express Service with Elements will help us a lot.
Installation service can be requested from elements plugin also.I hope It will bring more order and revenue.
Please consider the request. @KingDog @charlie4282

3 Likes

Without diluting the seriousness or impact of these changes, or to take away from anyone coming with suggestions - I personally don’t think studio or installation services would work with elements given the different nature of the subscription model and customer base.

Users on elements tend to use the subscription for value for money, meaning they are highly unlikely to then pay more for the installation.

Alternatively, users use the subscription to/and do download several themes to try. Unlike themeforest purchases, with elements they are likely to often want to try another option - does this mean they have to pay each time? Should the service provider have to do the work multiple times?

We don’t have visibility of the numbers, but there was a business case to close studio, so moving just one part of it elsewhere seems counter intuitive.

1 Like

@BenLeong @KingDog
So I have two WooCommerce plugins in the marketplace and I’m currently building three additional ones,
Now, last time I checked Envato element guideline (that was about two years ago) one needs at least 10 plugins in the marketplace in order to be accepted to join Envato element does that still apply?
Also, a referrer link was provided for service providers to join Envato element and the last plugin that I’m still working on may take up to a month to complete, can I use the link after august 21?

You may need to get more extension to get an approval at Elements. Still you can apply to join but there’s no guarantee. You can take your time to use the link after a month.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Help me please. I want to sell images in graphic river

After the announcements, the service providers should not be charged the platform fee as a compensation for short notice closure.

2 Likes

but they did charge the fee… :frowning:

This says more than enough about the future of this ecosystem. Thanks for letting us know about what is coming next.
It makes a lot of sense since for more than 1 year, Envato has drastically reduced the investments in advertising and marketing for Themeforest and Codecanyon.

3 Likes