Envato Elements: Update & Future Plans

Are you serious? WHat is the relation between wp.org and envato elements. Please study before you speak.

What i know is that from the day element was launched I lost more then 80% sales. what a disaster from envato. I spent too much on my items and now I am getting noting. please envato don’t do any adventure like that.

Interesting scenario. I could be… hopefully it turns out that way so it’s benefit to both buyers and authors. Let’s see when it launched.

They accept only best designed items on Elements, not old and outdated.

Why HTML has dropped more than 50%, from 24 sales at the bottom on popular, now with 12 sales. Imagine 12 000 envato customers has been passed from our marketplaces to envato elements. if WP will be added on elements, TF will be totally destroyed and authors will work for some dollars. Now in HTML category are making our sales only customers who don’t know about coding and needs support, others has gone in elements.

Let’s take a simple example:
If I am regular customer in TF and i have purchased 10 times avada, 8 times X theme etc, i will not purchase them in future cause i will get them in elements for 29 $, unlimited other wp items, don’t need any more support on them, cause I am very familiar with them.

It is just my opinion.

4 Likes

Indeed, but to make this scenario work as expected would be really great to have certain conditions for items, for example:

1. Item should be 1+ year old
  2. Last update was 6-8 months ago
  3. Rating 4+
  4. Once item is moved to Elements, remove it from TF

In this case TF will have only high quality items with quality support and permanent updates.

At least Envato can be more transparent and clarify future plans of both - TF and Elements. Until now we had nothing concrete.

2 Likes

True. Since WordPress themes/plugins bring the most profits for Envato (and its authors), these categories must be treated differently.

Every move we authors suggest requires a partial sacrifice from Envato. The last years we all see that this is not the case every move that is at tipping point question if it will hurt Envato or Authors they dump it on Authors.

I am convinced that Envato is seeing lately pure short term profits, mostly growth. And are sacrificing everything to achieve it. They know that exclusivity option do not allow us to test out alternative options, so they just do not care.

And whats interesting is, that usually when companies start to act this way, its either they are trying to attract investments and showcase rapid growth or are trying to sell the company.

I really do not see any logic in acting like this towards authors, while being ignorant towards there cries.

I would really love to see that Envato listens to us authors at bigger questions, but sorry guys, it will not happen, as until now it did not!

Forums threads are ignored and responded with politically sugar coated answers without any proof what so ever, that contradict individual authors stats.

And the only answers that have any merit are those that answer those posts that showcase any praise.
Hopefully they will not find it here.

2 Likes

+1

Items should not allowed in TF and envato elements. I am sure great authors will not be moved to elements, only some small authors will work there and TF will have same sales like before.

In this case the main point of Elements is quantity, not quality - everything that looks more or less nice will be accepted. At this stage, they need to load content to the market and TF/GR authors simply move their old items to a new market just to grab some $ if those items are not selling on TF. The main problem is silence in terms of future requirements for Elements submissions.

1 Like

Ok, there are two authors who can influence Wordpress sales on Elements!

Visual Composer, Revolution Slider. Mostly Visual Composer. If Visual Composer author won’t sell extended licenses for theme which going to be published on Elements. Then no theme in Elements would be used.
A reason is almost all users accustomed to work with Visual Composer.

So guys I advice to contact @wpbakery and ask him not to sell extended license for Elements items. He is in one boat with us, so I hope he would be agree.

2 Likes

So cooperation of plugin authors is important to keep alive of WP themes and Plugins on markets. Without plugins themes are nothing.

1 Like

If you want to try exclusivity, you can.
Noone stops you. Change the way you are selling and go for it.
If you believe it will help you more in the long run, you do it and you earn more.
The point is you do not do it, because you are afraid to loose or not know how to do it.

Nope, we cannot, visual composer does not alow us to sell on our own. That is why we are preparing for a different way.

And the process of gaining clients is a bit longer as in TF, when you start you need time to grow. Same here.

alright, but who can garantee that those authors won’t be treated differently?

Siteorigin or KingComposer or LiveComposer page builder is the way to go.

2 Likes

Guyz…i am thinking…

once wp items added into elements, they may enable option of buying just 6months of support without purchasing template.

so person can get template from elements and threaten you with support/1star rating.

you don’t get full money of theme yet you are forced to support.

may be that is the reason why they are making seperate invoice for support now.

That would be great because no author would add themes on Elements anymore.

Since last year, there has been a series of bad decisions. Bad timing to release any themes. Demotivating!

3 Likes

Thanks everyone for your comments over the last day or two. A few common topics have emerged from that discussion, so I’d like to try addressing each of those in turn.

Quality and Support on Elements

One of the big differences with Elements is that no support is included. We’re quite clear with subscribers about this: it’s not reasonable to expect item-level support on an unlimited download subscription. If subscribers ask about item support, we tell them to go buy the item on Market and get support that way.

In terms of quality, we’ve set the bar really high with Elements because our target audience consists of design-savvy professionals with high standards. The way we’ve tried to achieve that outcome is by selecting consistently high quality authors from Market who can then be trusted to self-manage their portfolio on Elements.

Please remember that trust works both ways. If you add low quality items to Elements, we will disable those items and provide feedback. And if it becomes a regular pattern, you’ll lose the privilege of contributing to Elements entirely and we’ll allocate your spot to someone else. The number of contributor slots on Elements is limited to ensure attractive & sustainable earnings per contributor, and more slots will open up as we grow categories and subscriber numbers.

Any effect on Market sales?

Many of you asked for clarification on the impact of Elements on Market sales.

For GR, @devotchkah’s experience reflects what we see overall. It was the best August ever, and very very close to the best month ever. No visible impact from Elements. [quote=“devotchkah, post:18, topic:72682, full:true”]August was the best August ever, not necessarily the best month of the year. As for me, August was the best month of the year indeed.[/quote]

For TF, many of you cited your own sales anecdotes or concerns about what users might do, such as:

However, at an overall category level, those perspectives are not supported by the data.

Individual author earnings can and will vary each month for many reasons. I understand and appreciate that’s hugely relevant to you, but there are probably other factors causing that, rather than Elements.

When we look at weekly unit sales in the relevant categories – such as ecommerce, site templates, cms-themes, and marketing – they do not show any visible impact from the launch of those categories on Elements. Sales in each of those categories on Market continue to be either stable or growing, and there is no evidence of a dip at or after the category launch on Elements.

Thanks @Openmarco. We’ll keep watching to see the extent to which there’s a positive spillover effect from marketing the categories on Elements. So far there is some anecdotal evidence that subscribers like the idea of trialling products (or entire categories) on Elements, and then going to Market to purchase items in some cases (e.g. if they need support, or a specific item’s not on Elements, or if their desired use isn’t possible under the Elements license).

Cross promotion & new customers

Early data suggested ~40% of Elements subscribers had not purchased on Market before. That’s a substantial amount of incremental earnings. And we also saw that Market buyers who subscribe to Elements often keep purchasing on Market afterwards as well. We’re working to improve our reporting so we can more easily monitor this over time.

The answer to this is simply that Market has millions of customers and Elements so far is only into the tens of thousands. So cross-promotion the other way (Elements -> Market) isn’t going to have any real impact. We also don’t want to confuse people as they get their heads around the new Elements offering, whereas Market is a very well-established platform that people know and understand.

What’s the link between Market and Elements items?

The above comment is correct for items other than Graphics. The logic is that the review process on Market is helpful in checking for security and other issues that may arise with complex items like themes. It also helps reduce the workload on authors if they update their file over time, since Elements is using the exact same file from Market when subscribers initiate a download.

It’s also worth pointing out that Elements contributors are in full control of which items they choose to make available to subscribers. So if you want to have particular products that are targeted at that subscription audience (and different to your main focus on Market), then go right ahead. All we ask is that they be relevant, high quality and well presented.

How can authors get involved in Elements?

We are actively reviewing all authors on TF for consideration for Elements. This is done at a portfolio level with clear criteria for selection. As you’ll see from that link, we look for consistently high quality items, effective presentation, appropriate style, and a proven track record.

As far as possible, we’ve tried to have the process be blind to Elite status. Our aim has been to focus on top quality content, irrespective of whether you’re one of the top sellers on Market. In fact, 50% of the top 10 earners on Elements for the first payout run earned more on Elements than they did on Market that month. Which suggests that we’re making some progress at helping create new opportunities for those who haven’t yet cracked the top seller list on Market.

What’s next?

The content team here is busy going through all your WordPress theme and plugin portfolios, and will be sending out Elements invitations in the coming weeks and months. We hope you’ll choose to join us on the journey and take advantage of the opportunity for incremental earnings.

1 Like