Envato Elements: Price Update

So you were running a misleading campaign? Advertising so people would hurry up and subscribe, a bit illegal ain’t it? And also authors were looking at that pricings. You guys are so mature for someone to report you to some government agency that regulates this kind of doings.

You cannot keep telling buyers and author one thing and then doing another, people do plan around your decisions and predictions.

Yet another bad move and you want us to look at Envato like a nonevil corporation.
And I can bet you will spam the entire marketplace yet again with adds won’t you?

Funny

3 Likes

You got it all wrong man. Elements is cheaper because Envato Authors pay more expensive fees. :laughing:

That’s correct. Whatever plan you’re on will be the plan you stay with as long as you don’t cancel.

At this time there are no plans to change the earnings split.

Great questions! We’re looking at a few options around how to add WordPress themes in a way that makes sense to authors. Graphics and themes are different both in terms of technical requirements and support.

The current thinking is that when themes make their way onto Elements they will not include support and customers will need to buy an individual license from ThemeForest in order to receive support.

As far as what themes are coming to Elements, we’re still thinking through that and haven’t made any concrete decisions around the type of theme makes sense and whom we might invite to join Elements.

A fair use policy added to our terms and conditions will give us some wiggle room to connect with subscribers who are downloading at high volume. As we said in the post, it’s not a common behavior at all but we know it’s a massive concern of authors.

Some are doing it and we do track which subscribers are downloading high volumes of items. While downloading itself isn’t off-limits, distributing those files and using them after a subscription is cancelled does violate the terms and conditions and we follow up on that aggressively.

December has a few holidays for large groups of subscribers which is likely why you may have seen an earnings drop there. Most subscribers are likely taking advantage of the school holidays and new year break that is available in many parts of the world and not working/downloading the same way they normally would.

@ashuras_sharif is right, elements authors are handpicked and invited to contribute to Elements.

Those are some interesting suggestions. I don’t know how other Elements contributors would feel about a free month when it’s their items being downloaded but keep the ideas coming!

Unlimited definitely sets Elements apart. As the library grows and more items are added, it becomes an incredibly valuable resource for professional creators and agencies around the world. When you can get a theme, font, brochure, logo, photos, icons and slides all to support a project you’re working on, that’s something many creatives appreciate.

That audience understands on-demand downloading and is willing to pay a subscription to have access to all those great assets.

That’s a great question. What makes a contributor want to upload more items to Elements? I think there are a few reasons.

1. As the number of subscribers grow, earnings increase, and that’s a reason to keep uploading.
  2. Adding consistently high-quality items to Elements increases the odds of having a higher percentage of subscriber share.
  3. As authors upload items it reinforces the value to subscribers who continue to see a reason to subscribe which in turn continues to improve their earnings.
  4. Author tools continue to improve. The easier it is to upload and get new items public, the more likely an author is to contribute.
  5. Coaching & Development are something we’re going to be rolling out which means that authors will have more insights and skills to support their craft.

Those are a few I can think of but definitely keen to hear your thoughts on what you think might motivate authors to keep contributing.

1 Like

I cannot promise that $29 will be the lowest price ever because we’ve already had $19 advertised as a price point. The goal is improving earnings for authors and finding new ways to attract different types of subscribers who in turn participate in growing author earnings.

It was not misleading. Up until very very recently the plan was to continue to increase the monthly subscription. As soon as the decision was made not to proceed on that course, we began the work to change the home page, announce the change and proceed which is what we’re doing here.

It’s the same thing we expect all authors to do as they advertise pricing and promotions in ADP categories and it wouldn’t be right if we didn’t hold ourselves to the same standard.

Will see :slight_smile: wish you all the luck and authors to

1 Like

Well. those are some convincing points I’d agree. The 5th point? Really? :slight_smile:

Most of the Elements’ authors still want and believe that the price be moved up to $49. Of course, there’s nothing we can do when the graphs and analysis shows $29 as the ideal price. But, the idea of fighting of a piece from $14.5, no matter how many items we upload makes us a feel blue.

@jamesgiroux , nothing for me? :slight_smile:

That’s a bit unfair. You’d be hard pushed to find any company that would promise the current price is never going to increase or decrease. Inflation, recessions, currency values, competitor behaviour, supply and demand, profit and loss, and perceived value of items… means that no price can (or should) ever be set in stone. I’d be more likely to think they didn’t know what they were doing if they could promise that $29 will be the lowest price ever.

you are taking it a bit to far with the facts mate.

if, “Inflation, recessions, currency values” then it effect the whole bunch of things, life cost, rent costs for offices etc.
we are talking in a certain time frame which is here for testing a relatively new product.

In any business there are contracts which define things on which bout sides have to agree or terminate the contract, in some cases, there are penalties involved (you studied law, you should know that, as I recall).

When you are stating facts then do state all of them.

In this case, what can happen (but probably will not) Authors will start to remove files and when someone, for example, signs on Elements on a sale pitch that there are 3000 items and later on, they see 2700 items, how will you keep them?

And there is another thing, direct advertising for elements is much harder than for other Envato markets for authors. As your advertisings can much easier directly feed the competitor pockets.

The price can go down only to a point were authors say now this is enough, I am not making anything from this.
That is why ADP was implemented on TF and other markets here, to elevate the burden of pricing responsibility and shift it to authors and to get the overall pricings down, despite the sugar coated this is for the best for authors pr articles.

Elements is an entirely different animal. ADP is not possible here :slight_smile:.

Imagine if Envato would, before ADP, keep on lowering prices.
They did not, they actually raised them, all the way up to a point when the issue of overpricing happened relative to competition and other factors, then the prices had to go down.

And the easiest way to do that, leave it to authors and watch the slaugther :slight_smile:

In my eyes, elements in this form is doomed to fail, buuuuuuut there are other options, I was advocating a subscription model to authors portfolio option in the same way elements did basically you give an option on tf for an individual author to have its own theme club, its own little elements.

But time will tell, again I wish all the luck to Elements and authors on it!

You seem to be referring to the entire issue as a whole… nothing wrong with that… but I was purely referring to the fact that somebody saying they “cannot promise that $29 will be the lowest price ever” doesn’t automatically mean they “don’t know what they are doing”.

Can you guarantee that you won’t ever reduce the prices on your themes? If all my files were subject to ADP then I couldn’t guarantee it… doesn’t mean either of us don’t know what we’re doing.

We do not promise anything, but if we promise a promo price we do go for it for some time not cut it in the middle.

If I promise you I will sell your product under a price and create a campaign to gradually build up to that price and you sign for it, then I say well sorry we will not go for that price but we will cut it down, would you be happy? I certainly would not agree to it, you would have to serve me a platter of amazing stats predictions and history stats to convince me to take that risk.

I am simply saying do not state the obvious. :stuck_out_tongue:. Everybody knows that those reasons influence markets and pricings. With this kind of statement you kind of degrade people’s intellect in an already grim situation.

Cheers

I only asked because I’m afraid we (Elements authors) were led to believe that we were going to be a part of a permanent $49 project, not $29 or even less for students and non-profitable institutions.

3 Likes

There was no need to hide my forum post.

There was no disrespect (or let’s say, “the disrespect (if any exists) towards Envato you see there is simply nothing when compared to the disrespect shown towards AUTHORS with latest developments of the marketplaces”), there was no insult (+ I am a nice guy indeed :slight_smile: )

Learn from your authors.

2 Likes