Embeding Imgur Images is no more allowed?

Seems the embed imgur images in our product description is no more working? Did envato do anything to block them? The console says its “403 Forbidden”

Any idea?

Yep, seems like true story.
I believe every image must be self-hosted.

That’s so sad. I don’t know why did they do that.I don’t see any issues.

Can you give an example link?
For me embedded imgur images still works.

See this for example

More likely imgur cracking down on people hosting images

Good to know. Seems imgur is blocking images with referrer from the marketplaces.

really? That’s why they made for?

Are you sure Imgur is blocking from accessing it via Themeforest?

if you get a 403 it’s surly Imgur not Envato

IMGUR TERMS OF SERVICE: http://imgur.com/tos

Also, don’t use Imgur to host image libraries you link to from elsewhere, content for your website, advertising, avatars, or anything else that turns us into your content delivery network. If you do – and we will be the judge – or if you do anything illegal, in addition to any other legal rights we may have, we will ban you along with the site you’re hotlinking from

To correctly embed an image you have to use their javascript option, like this:

View post on imgur.com

While hotlinking directly to the image may work sometimes, it is the incorrect way to embed images, and as highlighted in the imgur terms of service, this will get us banned. tada!

Unfortunately imgur seems to have (automatically?) blocked themeforest referrals. Possibly because it was generating too much traffic.

The correct way to embed images from imgur looks like this: http://dtbaker.net/files/envato/imgur-test.html (it adds the frame border and the javascript shows the image in an iframe with imgur branding).

Envato probably needs to contact imgur and organise some sort of commercial account (or just ask really nicely to get unblocked). Commercial account similar to how stackoverflow works - their image uploader is powered by imgur and the imgur branding is made available during post creation. They also get a dedicated subdomain like: http://i.stack.imgur.com/Re4qP.png

Envato if you’re reading this - maybe run a script to find how many authors are using imgur to host images, and maybe contact those authors because it will be affecting buyer experience and may be affecting sales.

Also - if you self host your images (recommended) you can give them human readable names, which assists in the SEO department.

I’ve submitted a support ticket 361447

Hopefully Envato can get in touch with some authors to let them know item graphics no longer display.

Envato replied they’re gonna try work something out this week

@dtbaker

Thanks so much for taking this further.

I’ve also contacted Imgur, no reply yet.

I’ve also check their stats, and one image serves over 1 GB bandwidth. Also I can see that the referring site is not only themeforest, But another 50+ nu*led sites who are using our content.

So, What we want is a WYSIWYG Editor, where we can upload graphics to Themeforest (same way as in forums)

Its really not a good idea to host it in our server, because it takes too much Bandwidth.

Hope Envato has a solution for this.

~Surjith

@dtbaker You were right.

Here’s the official reply from Imgur Team :

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately this is a site wide block, not a particular user. Our TOS states in a TLDR: You are not allowed to use imgur to host your images for hotlinking on a page that makes money. This is why ThemeForest was blocked.

So, I think Envato should contact authors about this, many people will not know that. or they should make an agreement with Imgur.

~Surjth

I actually discovered Imgur via the envato forums… A sticky post was showing users how to embed an image directly into the forums by using the !directlink! syntax.

It worked so well that I started using it for all my images on the page descriptions, thinking it was the right way to do it. I am sure I am not the only one.

Hopefully envato can get some sort of agreement with Imgur, since I think a lot of authors are now stuck with a lot of images to replace.

Thanks @dtbaker for the great, insightful post explaining the situation.

Here’s a link to the thread i mention above: http://graphicriver.net/forums/thread/howto-post-your-preview-image/38704?page=1&message_id=363330#363330

I don’t think Envato will take care on this. It’s just not their problem.

good point :weary:

I switched to postimg.org :slight_smile:

Don’t know when they will block this :slight_smile: