Drum loops, or one shot programming?

Hey folks
I’m just curious as to how people’s workflow differs when writing a song, how many use drum loops, as opposed to creating a unique drum track, does this depend on how much time you have to finish a project? Is it common practice for people to use loops? It would certainly speed the workflow up, but do you get the freedom you have when you build a drum track from scratch? Looking forward to your views on this subject!

For me, it’s one-shot programming - always.

It means I can make a far more tailored drum track to more accurately fit the mood of the piece I’m working on. This way the end result is always unique - never repeated again in another track.

Plus, loops make me feel lazy; so I usually avoid them :smile:

1 Like

Thanks dude :+1:t2:

No prob :wink:

I use both, depending on the genre or style. Sometimes I mix the two in a same track. For me, drum loops are a great tool that you just can’t ignore if you don’t have an in-house drummer. Far from being the lazy way, there are many ways you can get creative with loops.

3 Likes

Agree - use both.

You can spot a midi programmed drum track a mile off. Ok for stock music but you really need to mix both if you’re after publishing.

1 Like

Actually, you’ve got a point there. If you’re after more unique drum sounds (that you don’t own as samples or in a library), loops are a great option. It also depends on the genre you’re working on, and ultimately your own preferred workflow.

Interesting!