Don't know what could be wrong with this track :s

Hello, this track got rejected twice even after i made some changes to things i realized that werent good enough but i still get rejected.
Any advice ?
Thanks!

2 Likes

Hello @DeMenegazzo !
I would make a slightly less protracted intro and introduce development a little earlier (not like yours from 0:39 but from 0:08 or 0:16). Also in your track there is no rapid development (what you have from 1:25 I would put this part immediately from 1:10).
As for mixing: some percussion (high-frequency, it seems that this is a “shaker”) “sticks out” a little in my opinion, and some other drums sound not enough clearly.
My thoughts. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I think in this music there is no “one whole!”, Each instrument plays on its own (this is my personal opinion)

2 Likes

Hey @DeMenegazzo! First of all, I wouldn’t give up on this track. The vocal arrangement towards the end is just beautiful. Actually, in a stock music context, I would have loved to hear it much earlier in the song.

Besides that, careful with that tambourine. Is pretty loud and it plays along basically the whole track. I would push it backwards a bit (volume, reverb, hi freqs EQ) and dosify it.

For my taste, the piano is just a bit hard and bright. I would try with lower velocity values and give it some rythmical variations. The current, almost constant 8th notes subdivision tires me a tad for moments. Again, this is very personal so you might just take it or leave it.

About the tom rolls: they are awesome, but the same figure repeats over and over at the end of every bar in the main part and, in time, it starts to sound a bit loopish. I don’t have a specific suggestion but I would re-think it.

Finally, I agree with @CleanMagicAudio that the main part should develop earlier, even if the song ends up a bit shorter.

Anyway, those are my humble impressions. Best of luck!

3 Likes

I am still learning to understand what the reviewers are looking for or better: what fits to AJ best, so I my feedback might not be the most valid one, hehe. Still: I can second the earlier replies and I also think that maybe the piano sounds a bit too heavily compressed?

Good luck next time and all the best!

2 Likes

Holly crap thank you guys for dedicating your precious time to help reviewing this song!
I’m currently on vacation and will be back on january!
So next year i’m going to make some changes according to your opinions, wich makes lots of sense to me… when you create a track, sometimes you listen so much to that track that you can’t realize things like you guys did!
(also i’m a beginner so some things i wouldnt realize anyway, wich makes your opinions a lesson to me)
Thank you very much guys :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is too much compressed and distorted. The piano is too loud. Try not to reduce more than 3-4 dBs occasional short peaks with the master limiter. If you still want a loud and dense mix, use more saturation on your individual tracks and better eq to get each instrument its own place better in the spectrum and avoid masking. You need more dynamics.

2 Likes

Hey guys so after a couple months I decided to work on this track again according to your experts opinions!
i’m not sure if it sounds good, to me is very hard to come back to a track that you made mistakes, i’d rather start a new one. It felt like i couldn’t fit the piano in the mix but listening to the previous one to me this one sounds better, i also made it shorter!
Thank you very much for your feedback and concern in helping beginners like me !

Any new feedback would be much appreciated!