Does the Audio Interface quality matter if you have a external preamp?

Hello, I’m an aspiring audio engineer and I am looking to build a home studio for Rap/HipHop. I have a few questions I couldn’t really find anywhere online, the first one being that does the audio interface matter if I’m purchasing a preamp. I am aware that there are preamps built into the audio interface, but i want to achieve a cleaner and better sound by buying the pieces separately. So I’m curious if I purchase a preamp separately, does it even matter what audio interface I purchase? What is the benefit of having a better interface with a separate preamp other than translating vocals into line format before it hits my DAW. I want to spend more money on a better preamp if that is the case. So my question really is if i purchase an external preamp thats decent does the quality of the audio interface matter, does it matter if i get a good or bad audio interface if the pre amp is doing all the work? Like can I just get any interface if i have a good preamp? Thank You so much!

You’ll need a good interface (as well as moniors) to listen back to your music and for mixing/mastering. But if you have a external preamp that interface won’t need a preamp, just a good D/A converter.