Does dither reduce gradient bending?

So, I’m talking about gradient fill layer. I was actually creating the wallpaper for the competition we’re having right now and was a little happy to see this. Don’t know if it’s already known by you people. It slightly reduces the bending. lol and don’t think these are the colors I’m actually working on. So don’t start cursing me. :smiley:

Without dither:

With dither enabled:

(Save them on ur PC to compare)

As I said, there’s slight decrease in the bending. Could be useful for reducing the bending a little. BTW I apologize if I’m the only one ignorant enough to know nothing about dither.

Hmm yes this actually works a little. I had this problem so many times but the most annoying thing is that sometimes the problem did not occurred and I did nothing to make it work. It just happened.

Also what I know is that this is a problem created by the monitors because I sent the files to different people and they tested them on their computers and there was no problem on their systems. I still am confused for this.

Hmm yes this actually works a little. I had this problem so many times but the most annoying thing is that sometimes the problem did not occurred and I did nothing to make it work. It just happened.

Also what I know is that this is a problem created by the monitors because I sent the files to different people and they tested them on their computers and there was no problem on their systems. I still am confused for this.

This confused me as well. Also it seems reduced around 80-90% in Photoshop. It’s right that certain monitors do not have this problem. It ruins everything in explorer but while working in Photoshop, it’s quite well to work with. We need to sort out this matter since it can raise a fear when sending out final output to client who need JPG’s as to what kind of monitor he owns and how it will show the result.

I really think it has something to do with color profiles. Until this sorts out though, we’ll have to live with gradient bending.

Banding is a b***h and it can’t be solved on screen through PS to my knowledge. If you want to get rid of it in print, 2% gaussian noise seems to do the trick.

Personally I haven’t experienced colour ‘bending’ since I’m not a child of the 60’s, but I use a colour mode greater than 8-bit sometimes and it will help a tiny bit, as well as what ArikB suggested to diminish the effects of banding.

So are we talking about bending or banding? We’re talking about gradient banding right?

Judging from the first example pic, it looks like ‘banding’ to me. :slight_smile:

It’s a frequent problem in Fireworks too - so much, that CS5 came with a ‘dithering’ checkbox right next to the gradient fill, and it fixes up banding quite nicely most of the time.

This is colour bending:

A drug induced colourful spattering of design indiscretion.

This is colour banding:

The ‘lines’ you see are a technical problem of representing natural colour blending in a discrete digital environment.

Both make me cry.

no need to make another discussion on that. I actually meant banding but due to excessive sleep and a bit of headache I ended up with what you all see “THE BENDING” :slight_smile:

2% gaussian noise works fine, I agree. But I just thought dither could actually work better than that.

:slight_smile:

I’m warning you both! Stop taking on me. I’m already running out of place to hide the bodies. :smiley:

i love that show Arik… :wink:

Both make me cry.

LMAO, dont know why but the tone of your post just cracked me up

Reviving a dead thread here.

Colour banding leapt out of Photoshop the other day and punched me square in the nose. Problem is… I can only replicate it on my late 2010 27" iMac and not my Win7 PC at work (both have Photoshop CS5).

Is there a hardware reason why colour banding happens? I know it’s not strictly part of the graphic file itself and opening the file up on another machine (or printing) should look fine but there is a level of paranoia that worries me?

Curious if it’s happened to anyone else in a similar situation. Googling it (regarding the iMac in particular) reveals that it might actually be an iMac screen problem. :frowning:

JackHowell said

Reviving a dead thread here.

Colour banding leapt out of Photoshop the other day and punched me square in the nose. Problem is… I can only replicate it on my late 2010 27" iMac and not my Win7 PC at work (both have Photoshop CS5).

Is there a hardware reason why colour banding happens? I know it’s not strictly part of the graphic file itself and opening the file up on another machine (or printing) should look fine but there is a level of paranoia that worries me?

Curious if it’s happened to anyone else in a similar situation. Googling it (regarding the iMac in particular) reveals that it might actually be an iMac screen problem. :frowning:

From what I’ve experienced so far, color banding is related to monitors. Thus it can’t be helped. The only solution so far had been the noise one. Didn’t checked about it anything lately though.

Yeah, I’d agree - its a hardware thing. It’s a nightmare on my laptop, I’ve created work that doesn’t have any banding issues, then I stand up to get a drink - and from a different angle all I can see is ugly thick bands of colour.

I’m going to start adding a message on all work I create saying 'best viewed on [insert brand of monitors] at a 42.5 degree angle, with a colour profile calibration of [blah]. :nerdy:

This resurrected thread beings up another good question:

Where the heck has Arik gone? He used to be a force to be reckoned with, giving advice and education (or crushing) stupidity. Is he still an active reviewer? Don’t think I’ve had anything reviewed by him in a while and haven’t seen him on the forums…

Philmo said

This resurrected thread beings up another good question:

Where the heck has Arik gone? He used to be a force to be reckoned with, giving advice and education (or crushing) stupidity. Is he still an active reviewer? Don’t think I’ve had anything reviewed by him in a while and haven’t seen him on the forums…

Off topic but I wondered the exact same thing earlier after I posted…! Where art thou Arik?

Totally agree with you Philmo.

@Philmo and @JackHowell I asked him the same and he said, he’s been busy with his college lately.