Do you support a lot of settings in the wordpress theme?

Lately, developers have been adding a lot of settings for personalizing the site. Which, as practice shows, users do not use. What do you think is better: to make +400400 settings of one image, or to give the user the opportunity to basic change the template? And tell me please, why do you think so?

A few options is a good idea as you can never know what each buyers’ needs or expectation will be, but quality over quantity is a priority otherwise it just bloats the theme unnecessarily

1 Like

I love settings. I use themes for speed and ease of use. I personally hate themes with no settings for the expected modifications. If I want to custom code half a site I would not purchase a theme.

@goofydadog No, you misunderstood. I meant a lot of settings where you control every pixel of your site, where you have +100 settings for one image. And this option is compared with the basic settings, where you can change the colors of sections, change images and text, have typography settings, 30-40 shortcodes and the like.

We had fallen into the “options abyss” a couple of times because we created an options framework that worked perfectly and adding options was too easy.
But then fixing styles conflicts between options was a real pain. And we literally lost weeks on fixing style conflicts inside our theme.

What we then did was created a lot of hooks (dynamically generated and called), remove a lot of options that most of users were ignoring. Then, when a user was asking for an option, we simply created a custom plugin that was using these hooks to add option and to modify content as needed. And it was often considered a “custom job”, with a custom fare.

People buy designs. Agencies buy options.

I worked with a beautiful theme, with almost no options but it was brilliantly coded, adding my custom options took a lot less time than figuring out “what option you need to set for a specific menu to go white” in a more heavy-loaded theme.

1 Like