Do people sell tracks after they've been out a while?

I’ve sold 29 tracks since I started last month but all of the sales have happened in the first few days my tracks have been live and then they never sell again. Pretty much every track has sold a few copies but I’m starting to think there’s not a lot of point keeping older tracks on here. What do other people find? Do any of your old tracks sell enough to keep them here?

1 Like

Most of my sales come from front page exposure as well. Some tracks I sold 5 or 6 times in the first few days and then nothing for months or years. After front page exposure, the tracks get lost in the jungle, only to be found with a questionable search engine. You are not alone.

1 Like

I have this silly formula that says: sales in one year = 2.5 x sales in the first month.

So if an item sells 15 times in march, the sales will climb up to 37 by the end of the february next year :slight_smile:

But this formula only works if the track reaches 10+ sales in the first 30 days.

1 Like

This doesn’t sound that promising in the long run. It would seem the best sales method would be to cycle new tracks through Audiojungle, get the initial sales and then move them to another site where they might have a shelf life longer than a week.

1 Like

lately i have been selling tracks that are older than a year…even 2 year old tracks. People find them on Youtube/Soundcloud.

2 Likes

I tend to see a few tracks that get traction after they are initially uploaded, but many do “drop off” after the first week. Sometimes this is a quality issue, but sometimes there’s just the dark magic of what gets traction and what doesn’t.

Yup, you never know :sunglasses:

I have about 75 items with 0 sales. I try not to dwell on it. It’s kind of sad. But once every now and then, a low-rider gets spotted by someone and creates a snowball effect. I sometimes wish there were more options to highlight tracks in the deep, but I guess the profile page and external marketing is all we’ve got to work with right now.

1 Like

The forgotten ones are often musically better. Or am I mistaking?

Do you mind me asking what kind of external marketing are you doing to get exposure on here?

YouTube, SoundCloud, Facebook, Twitter, web page, Spotify, iTunes, Amazon, and I recently started building a targeted email list. I also talk a lot with people I meet about what we’re offering here and why they don’t need to look for music anywhere else :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thanks! That’s quite a list, I’ve started some of those but I guess now it’s time to build up a nice portfolio and get it out there!

One of my 2014 New Year tracks which had a couple of sales back then suddenly became a top seller in December 2015 earning me a couple of new badges. Also, I’ve just sold a Music Broadcast & Film license for a composition that previously had only one sale. Anything is possible.

6 Likes

Great info, I was wondering if a forgotten track can fly again! I had a similar experience with the broadcast & film license last month - I already had my finger on the delete button, but decided to leave the track in my portfolio for some more time. A few days later it brought a $304 sale!

Anything is possible, there’s also a possibility that some videohive authors like your track a lot, but they need a few months to develop a new project. When the videohive project is finally online, your sales could go up again.

I haven’t seen a portfolio with great music and no sales on AJ. If I could give only one advice to a new AJ author, it would be this one - first get 100 tracks approved, then start worrying about everything else.

2 Likes

This is somewhat true if you have a small portfolio. But if you take a look at some of the authors who have 400+ songs in their portfolios, they all start getting sales from being big and noticable. In this case even tracks with no sales might be good soldiers in your army.

Me personally I try to be as harsh on my tracks as possible - I hate little or no sales, and if a track doesn’t sell this is also a very strong indicator that the market does not need what I’m offering. So I’m usually happy to delete the track, even if my portfolio doesn’t grow as fast as it could because of that. I even tried to upload the deleted tracks elsewhere and more often than not they got rejected, which is also a great indicator that they actually sucked :slight_smile:

BUT, there are of course exceptions to every rule, and one of my deleted tracks (generated very little sales on AJ) is one of my most popular tracks somewhere else. Again, you never know.

5 Likes

Check out this story: One Year Ago I Left Office

1 Like

You’ve done really well making 29 sales in your first month!

How on earth does it help your sales, if you have hundreds of tracks padding out your portfolio that aren’t selling? The search engine isn’t going to bump your results - if someone searches for a jazz track the search engine isn’t going to say “oh this person has 200 corporate tracks, therefore his jazz track will appear on page 3 instead of page 12” - or is there something I’m missing?

I had literally the EXACT same thing happen to me about a month ago! I was going to delete a track with zero sales and just before I did it, I got the $300 licence! I think since then I’ve also had a couple of $19 sales for that track.

1 Like

Yep, this is precisely my approach. I don’t think a buyer who comes to my profile page is going to be impressed by the quantity of my tracks. I actually think they might be a little daunted if they think they have to scroll through many pages. I know we can make buttons and collections, and I’ve done that, but even in the collections I make for customers I try to only have 4 or 5 tracks in each category.

My theories come and go :slight_smile: I used to feel confident about them a year ago, but now that’s gone and I’m more careful and try not to be too smart on the forum :slight_smile: I still delete tracks from time to time, but in the same time I try to have as big porfolio as possible, because the monthly income seems to be more stable since I have more tracks in portfolio. My newer tracks sell poorly compared to the old ones, but they still bring something at the end of the month. But I agree that tracks that don’t sell won’t help anyone. That’s why I like to use the delete button, but not as much as I used to. It has happened a few times that I actually cost the buyers some trouble - because editors sometimes need some time to get their work done and approved. And when the time comes to buy the track, it must be frustrating to find out that the track is not available any more. Of course I send it for free immediately in case they email me, but anyway I’m more careful with the delete button lately. I wish I was a better predictor of what’s going to sell and what’s not going to!