Developing an android application for a client

Hey there,

I looked through the forums but couldn’t find a similar case to mine, only websites that people want to sell.

Friends and I are developing an application that we will pitch to a potential customer in the hotel industry. I am a java software developer but have no idea about frontend stuff, hence me being here looking for easy to use frontend templates. The application would be used by the client to advertise and rent out rooms/apartments and as a portal for customers to communicate with the client. The customers of the client would not pay to use the app, but they would get advanced access to their customer portal once they rent a room.

In the best-case scenario we would develop the app, get paid by the customer while doing so, incorporate their data into the app and practically run the app on our own while the client uses our app.

Another scenario would be developing the app and selling the end-product to the client. In this case the regular licence should be sufficient, right? But what about the case above, where we would not be selling a finished product to a client but they would pay us for continuous development and for support? They would be the client, which would be paying to “use” the app but not the end-user which would not be paying to actually use the app. I’m confused.

I know I should just learn JavaScript and not worry about any of this but I really don’t like JavaScript or Angular…

Also if there are recommendations on which pack to buy (I was looking at ‘Universal’, which says it has everything), I’d be happy to hear about them. Also, are those JavaScript things or programmed with a different language? I couldn’t really figure that out.

Thanks in advance! And sorry for my lack of knowledge, this is my first adventure into templates. I honestly just wanted a nice template that I can import into Android Studio and edit via the code. Editing would not be a problem, I just don’t want to setup everything from zero.

Groath

Hello @Groath

You’ve listed many scenarios there, I’ll try my best to help out with the licensing part! Here we go:

The end user: In either way, “the end user/s” are the people that access the website, not your client. As per Envato Licenses:

I’m a freelancer/agency. Can I use the item for an end product I’m doing for a client?

Yes. You’re essentially buying the file on your client’s behalf. Whether a regular or Extended License is needed will depend on your client’s use of the end product. With both the regular and Extended License you are allowed to charge your client for creating the End Product. Once you transfer the end product to the client (eg giving them source files for the item), be sure to link your client to our licenses and delete the item itself from your computer.

So basically, even if you charge the customer for maintaining the website, that is outside Envato, which does not affect the license your customer needs. The end user is not your customer, but your customer’s app users. I hope this is clear enough.

Here are the exact license terms:

Which license do I need for an end product that is free, but has parts you need to pay to access?

If the item is used within the free part, the Regular License if fine. If the item is used only in a part that requires payment to access, you need the Extended License.

Example: If you were using a 3d model of a sword for a game and you could only get the sword by buying it, you’d need the Extended License. If it was the starting weapon that even non-paying users could use, all you’d need is the Regular License.*

I strongly suggest you read more about licenses here → License FAQ | ThemeForest as there may be situations that fit your scenario that were not answered here.

If you believe your situation requires more information that is not clear enough in the FAQ section, you can contact Envato Market Help and Support. They will be happy to assist!

I’m sorry for not being able to help you with this, but I’m not familiar with the item at all.

Hope this helps a bit!:blush:

1 Like

Hey @MrsEnabled

Thank you for your response, it helped me already :slight_smile:

So if I understood this corectly, whatever happend between me and the client is irrelevant to the Licence. If the end-user pays to access something that was bought from Envato, I need the Extended Licence. Even if the thing that the end-user is paying for is essentially a service, if the website enables the service, it is seen as “behind a paywall”.

It’s hard for me to understand these passages because they always use very clear examples like 3D models which would not be what I want to buy. This is the thing I wanted to buy and build an App with:

I think I understood. To be safe, I would just have to buy the Extended Licence. Do you know if there is a way to buy the Regular Licence and then upgrade to an Extended Licence?

Sure. Here are all the steps you need to take in order to upgrade the license from Regular to Extended → If I choose the wrong license, or need to upgrade my license, how easy is it to change to the correct license? – Envato Market Help Center

I forgot to mention: you can ask the author of the item any pre-purchase question using the comment section below. They will be able to tell you if the item is a good fit for your needs.

As @MrsEnabled suggested the safest option is to ask support, however for what it’s worth we’ve always explained this as:

• A regular licenses are fine unless you plan to monetize an item on a repeat basis (ex. eCommerce templates being used for a shop of course). If you have the potential to earn on multiple occasions from the same end product then it needs an extended license.
1 Like

After discussing with my friends, we’ve decided to invest a little more time and program the frontend UI ourselves instead of buying licences. Selling our services to more than one customer is in the books, too, so that would force us to buy more than one Licence.

Thank you both for your time and answers, you’ve helüped us decide what to do :slight_smile:

Have a great day!

It’s definitely a better idea. You don’t want to find yourself at the mercy of a third party author especially if you have multiple apps