Developer Affiliate on License Transfer to Client

As a developer (also an affiliate), I have to buy resources on behalf of the client in my account,and once the project is completed, we shall transfer the license to my client.

Case 1:
Client has created the account through my affiliate link. In this case, will I get affiliate commission.

Case 2:
Client has created the account on his own. In this case, will I get affiliate commission.

I believe for Case 1, if they offer Affiliate commission, it would be glad

Option 1… maybe. Option 2… no. I say maybe as they have to actually buy something, and within a certain time period as far as I know. Theres no commission for just creating an account.

You probably know that, but you did mention that you buy stuff for your clients, not that they do… so thought I should throw it in there.

Does it mean, that it is now possible to transfer license onto a client once the development has finished? I found a couple of old posts on the forum, that were saying it wasn’t possible.

You’ve always been able to transfer the license as long as it’s all removed from your system etc and not then reused.

What you could not and still cannot transfer is the ability to download items, updates etc.

Which is the main reason why I would want to do that. I mean, I want the client to be in control and have the freedom to choose, who they work with. I’ll be delighted if they decide to continue to work with me, I don’t want them to have to come back to me, just because they want continuous updates or theme related support after 6/12 months.

Btw. I came across your comment asking, what other similar online marketplaces offer such functionality.

Blockquote Genuine curiosity can you name other marketplaces like this allows this?

Well, WooCommerce for example offers that.

Isn’t Woo products all subscription based?

I know they recently created a new way to transfer subscriptions easily https://woocommerce.com/2017/07/transferring-subscription-purchases-between-accounts/ but that is fundamentally different from envato.

Again, I am not saying that there is not an example, but what no one has shared a marketplace which is a single payment, where items are owned by authors not the marketplace, and which all download access to be transferred.

It’s the same with several things like downloads of removed items, extended support, the review process and more. Unfortunately, envato will never be able to please everyone, and I am sure there are things which could be improved in an ideal world.

I only ask for examples because if envato’s efforts and approach are as wrong or unfair as some threads (not aimed at this thread) make out, then these should be very easy to provide, and I am sure envato would be interested to see viable alternative ways of improving their model.

P.s. That is a great attitude and a perfect example of why clients should always buy their own items.

Especially with guest checkout there really is very little reason for them not to anymore.

Especially with guest checkout there really is very little reason for them not to anymore.

What is guest checkout, perhaps that could solve part of my problem.

Isn’t Woo products all subscription based?
I know they recently created a new way to transfer subscriptions easily https://woocommerce.com/2017/07/transferring-subscription-purchases-between-accounts/ but that is fundamentally different from envato.

Even before the recent update transfer was possible after contacting WooCommerce via email. And yes, it is a different business, but I struggle to see any reason, why the transfer wouldn’t be possible. A new license number could get generated upon successful and approved transfer. But ok, I’m gonna leave it at this. It’s not worth my time to argue this point.

You don’t need to create an account to buy an item - just click and buy.

The buyer would later need to register (which is no different from if transferring downloads was made possible) to access support or updates but it’s still much easier.

So it’s not actually guest checkout, more like create account in checkout.

It’s exactly guest checkout as on other sites.

Here you can buy using guest checkout and without registering then you get an email receipt exactly as you would on another online shop.

If you want aggregated or further info such as access to updates, support or a list of your purchases then you would need to register and validate your info exactly as you would with another online store.

Likewise if in the unlikely event that Envato were to make download transfers possible then the client would need to register (as is the case with Woo etc.) to have items put in their account, so really it’s no extra inconvenience.