Designing a hoarding...

Hi there,

I started designing a hording (240ft x 120ft) using PS. and when i tried to save the file i notice that the extension has changed from “.PSD” to “.PSB” . Has anyone tried this before?

Also can anyone tell me from where i can purchase large scale stock images. specially for big hoardings.

thnx.
rRomila

You’re working inside a Smart Layer I guess then. Since they’re saved as .PSB files inside a .PSD if I’m correct.

This may explain better to you

1. Documents saved in the Photoshop (.psd) or TIFF (.tif) format cannot exceed 4 GB.
  2. Documents saved in Photoshop’s new Large Document (.psb) format can exceed 4 GB.
  3. The maximum image size for the .psb format is 300,000 pixels square (horiz. and vert.)
  4. The .psb format supports Photoshop-specific features such as Adjustment Layers, vector shapes, channels, etc.

You should have one hell of a system then O_O.

How much RAM you got?

You're working inside a Smart Layer I guess then. Since they're saved as .PSB files inside a .PSD if I'm correct.

No im not using any smart layers… :slight_smile:

1. Documents saved in the Photoshop (.psd) or TIFF (.tif) format cannot exceed 4 GB.
  2. Documents saved in Photoshop’s new Large Document (.psb) format can exceed 4 GB.
  3. The maximum image size for the .psb format is 300,000 pixels square (horiz. and vert.)
  4. The .psb format supports Photoshop-specific features such as Adjustment Layers, vector shapes, channels, etc.

hmm i guess u r correct :slight_smile:

How much RAM you got?

i got only 4 gb of RAM. damn i wonder how those ppl design large scale banners coz i cannot even add a blank layer in PS it says scratch disk is full.

I am correct i used to work for Dreams bed company in the UK, and i did all the banners.

But we did it in illustrator and a fraction of the size, designed at 10% then it was scaled latter but that wont work with photoshop.

good luck with it!

How much RAM you got?

i got only 4 gb of RAM. damn i wonder how those ppl design large scale banners coz i cannot even add a blank layer in PS it says scratch disk is full.

Either wat Hollow said below or you need a ton of RAM. Server clusters help.

PhotoShop Big (.PSB) It’s used in smart objects and for extremely large photoshop RAW files.

Usually large scale design is done vector (resolution independent) or 1/4 of the intended size, then enlarged and printed halftoned which basically means the image is simplified into little dots of color which when looked at close up looks like hell but when looked at from a distance, like a billboard it looks very sharp. It’s an optical illusion.

I am correct i used to work for Dreams bed company in the UK, and i did all the banners.

But we did it in illustrator and a fraction of the size, designed at 10% then it was scaled latter but that wont work with photoshop.

good luck with it!

hmmmm… thnx hollow

How much RAM you got?

Either wat Hollow said below or you need a ton of RAM. Server clusters help.

hmm yes arik… i guess i have to add another 200 GB of hard drive minimum. and the RAM… BTW thank you.

PhotoShop Big (.PSB) It's used in smart objects and for extremely large photoshop RAW files.

Usually large scale design is done vector (resolution independent) or 1/4 of the intended size, then enlarged and printed halftoned which basically means the image is simplified into little dots of color which when looked at close up looks like hell but when looked at from a distance, like a billboard it looks very sharp. It’s an optical illusion.

hmmm… thnx jin .