Custom Post Type/Taxonomy Permalinks

Maybe you can help with what I’m trying to accomplish. I want my custom posts to be viewable by category.

I have custom post type ‘links’, a ‘links’ category (stock category, not custom taxonomy) where I have subcategories ‘search engines’, ‘reference’, etc.

My permalink settings for my custom post type:
/%category%/%links%/

My permalinks look like mysite.com/links/reference/post-name and mysite.com/links/search-engines/post-name

I want all the custom posts to be viewable by their category. So I want mysite.com/links/ to show all of the custom posts, and I want mysite.com/links/reference to show only the custom posts in the ‘reference’ category.

I can’t get that to work… I can only show ALL of the custom posts at once, or a single custom post. Can’t filter by category. Any ideas?

kemch said

Maybe you can help with what I’m trying to accomplish. I want my custom posts to be viewable by category.

I have custom post type ‘links’, a ‘links’ category (stock category, not custom taxonomy) where I have subcategories ‘search engines’, ‘reference’, etc.

My permalink settings for my custom post type:
/%category%/%links%/

My permalinks look like mysite.com/links/reference/post-name and mysite.com/links/search-engines/post-name

I want all the custom posts to be viewable by their category. So I want mysite.com/links/ to show all of the custom posts, and I want mysite.com/links/reference to show only the custom posts in the ‘reference’ category.

I can’t get that to work… I can only show ALL of the custom posts at once, or a single custom post. Can’t filter by category. Any ideas?

Same problem here. How do we fix this?

@kemch and @bankje

Take a look at this.

Have you tried creating a category-links.php or a taxonomy-links.php archive page?

That should do the trick.

Also, if you’re using the default categories of WP (built-in), you need to specify that your custom post type has a capability of ‘post’ and that it’s not hierarchical (which I think is the default though).

@Di

I have been working on a project, where I need similar website structure /URL structure as you have used on your project here.

I have followed all the steps that you have discussed here. But when I try to go to a post I get 404 page !

Can you please let me know what kind of templates you have created for your custom post types & categories after installing “custom post type permalinks” plugin.

I have installed this plugin and configured it too. Its working fine in admin panel but on the website pages are showing 404 page.

Although help from anyone shall be appreciated. I have asked @Di specifically because @di has discussed about this in this post in detail.

Thank you in advance.