Custom game engine sound file format

I’m building my own 3D engine and I will use OpenAL for 3D sound.

What file format can I redistribute (edit: I meant distribute/store on disk) the sound effects as?

Hm, no replies… also I’m going to upload the game to github and it will allow (non commercial) modding is that ok under “allowed variation”?

For commercial license of my engine users will have to buy your assets again of course.

You cannot redistribute items bought at Envato.

I mean distribute/store on disk (which is a form of redistribution but not for others to use other than with the application (1) provided). Funny how people are trying to misunderstand on purpose.

Audio is not a format you can store in an engine specific way (because the computer plays them as raw waveforms) so can I attach/bundle/zip them as .wav with the application?

This is not allowed as you are enabling modding of the asset. Commercial or non-commercial use is irrelevant.

I’m not enabling modding of the asset, I’m enabling modding of my engine that uses the asset. If they wish to sell the mod they will have to purchase the assets again for their mod.

But again I’m not asking only about that because I can disallow modding with one paragraph, what I’m also asking is which filetype can I use for the audio; is .wav ok?

The consequence of your view of the license is that I will distribute the audio as .wav and then tell the modders that the audio has to be deleted from their harddrive if they choose to use the mod capability, it will paint the royalty free asset business as a whole in a very bad light.

In the broader perspective, how are you content producers going to survive in the future when everything will be moddable?

I mean Minecraft and Roblox have 280 million monthly users combined (say 200 if 80 use both) that is the most dedicated userbase of any product type in history.

And if you look at concentration of value, revenue per employee the numbers are off the charts = there is money that is not being redistributed because the content providers are holding back with bad licenses = Minecraft and Roblox look and sounds bad = the world is in a worse place.

Nobody wants to buy a finished product, the whole point is to create, not consume; which you as content creators must understand?

Please tone down your attitude. I’m merely stating the terms. You cannot make an item bought on Envato available to others. This is considered to be redistribution as defined in the terms.

So, having the wav files accessible as is to others is a no go.

But then nobody can use the game sound effects? Is Unity and Unreal users able to use the assets just because they .pak the .wav? Extracting assets from a .pak is very trivial. Extracting assets from a video is equally trivial.

Why does AudioJungle even have a game sound effect category then?

This is absurd and you are getting poorer because of it.

The consequence of your updated view of the license is that I will distribute the audio as .pak (which does not protect the assets from extraction and wastes my and others time) and then tell the modders that the audio has to be deleted from their harddrive if they choose to use the mod capability, it will paint the royalty free asset business as a whole in a very bad light.

If they didn’t get a license for them, of course not.

It being trivial doesn’t make it ok, or legal.

Ok, this is just meaningless until an official Envato employee looks at my case.

If this is the way the license is, we need a new mod friendly license!

Static content is on the way out, programmable networked 3D audio and video (PN3DAV) content is the final medium. VR is interesting too (as a gimmick) but it requires PN3DAV so it’s not nearly as powerful.

Until we do, perhaps the best solution is for you to use the music you create yourself, and not buy it from a stock music library.

Easy solution.

So I will package the sound without .wav header and upload the project to github with the explicit instruction to buy the audio pack directly from the sfx creator since envato does not allow that you use their resold assets with a game engine.

The assets are 100x more expensive on envato so I’m curious how can the envato company can exist with a more restrictive license?