Cover of a famous song?

I did not see it in the rules. Can I download a cover of a famous song or will it be a violation? For example, use Mozart’s melody? His melodies are slightly better than mine.

His music is no longer copyrighted, but arrangements/recordings of his music may be copyrighted. I’m not 100% sure exactly what the rules are when it comes to Envato accepting them… but it’s legal for you to make your own song based on Mozart’s music, but you can’t download somebody else’s recording of his music and edit/upload that.

Thanks for the answer :slight_smile:

It’s not about him, of course. It’s just that if I make my own variation on a certain melody, I do not use the recording of this song, but I take the melody completely, but all sounds, instruments and the rest are all mine. Is this considered a copyright infringement? Why, then, are there many covers on youtube and no one bans them :unamused:

Although it is possible for non-commercial use, these melodies are open.
But still an interesting question.

first of all you have to check if the song is Public Domain. and if it is you can cover this song the way to like it and upload ! but you have to mention the artist and the song title ! lets say Beethoven’s Moonlight Sonata mvt. 3 In the Title ! or Beethoven Moonlight Sonata and in description the rest !

1 Like