Comments...Are they important ?

Hello. I’d like to know what is your opinion about commenting tracks. Does it really important regarding sales? People leave comments like “good job” “cool” “like” “great” “well done” etc. It’s obvious that they don’t listen our tracks :slight_smile: Ok, it’s really nice when other authors appreciate our work and write something which proves that they listen our music but unfortunately 80% comments are like these examples above…

I don’t think that buyers take these comments seriously…For example corporate track with 40 comments : good, cool, good job, like :smiley:

Moreover I see the same authors looking for comments and giving them. Of course I also leave my tracks in feedback topic but it seems useless for me.

What’s your opinion and experience?

It’s cool if someone actually means it and actually listens to the track they comment on.
However, i see many “GLWS” comments and “great job” copy and pasted on many comment sections of various authors.

People seem to think it helps to get your items trending, I don’t think it helps one bit.
I have 1 item that has been trending 5 times now and it only has 3 comments.

So why people copy/paste comments i have no idea… but i doulbt it will help sales.

3 Likes

The only positive thing here: comments is a visit to the page. But I think 20 visits (views) is too small to raise your track in the top. So lately, I agree to the uselessness of the feedback. Would like to hear the opinions of other authors

I saw a trending item once with 0 sales and 70-80 good job, cool track comments…

1 Like

I think comments are not important. Sometimes it become an instrument for spammers and scammers who want to attract attention.

What do you mean Robert -

It’s cool if someone actually means it and actually listens to the track they comment on.
However, i see many “GLWS” comments and “great job” copy and pasted on many comment sections of various authors.

People seem to think it helps to get your items trending, I don’t think it helps one bit.
I have 1 item that has been trending 5 times now and it only has 3 comments.

So why people copy/paste comments i have no idea… but i doulbt it will help sales.

1 Like

The comments = trending thing seems to be a very persistent myth :wink:

There shouldn’t be any direct effect on trending status from comments. There might be an indirect one if lots of different people are visiting the item page to leave a comment… but that’s more related to how the system identifies items that are bringing in lots of new traffic, and not a function of the number of comments left on an item.

The major things that comments help to address on other marketplaces are probably a bit less relevant for AJ - complex items like WordPress themes or After Effects templates generally have a lot of support questions (pre- or post-sale) left in comments. Those discussions are also used as a trust signal for buyers: similar to an item that has a very low rating, items that seem to have serious ongoing problems raised in the comments are also less likely to be purchased. The flip side is also true - many authors successfully make sales because the buyers feel reassured that they’ll receive a good level of service, based on what they can see in previous comments.

Audio tracks can still benefit from those to some extent, but it’s less vital - customers can hear the preview, and see whether the download will include things like alternative track lengths. There are fewer moving parts from their perspective, and so there’s less need for support questions.

9 Likes

Great post. Good luck with replies and likes.

1 Like

Hi @BenLeong ! I would like to know. Some buyers (on the forum) asked a question for the volume of the preview file. They seem to be more convenient at different volume levels to immediately select tracks for the video and announcer (without downloading the preview). Will this be introduced?

1 Like

Hi @CleanMagicAudio. I’m not sure, but I can ask our developers :slight_smile: Could you send me a link to that topic?

2 Likes
3 Likes

Personally, I’m very pleased when they leave comments to my track! Even if it does not play any role for sales, it’s still very nice in the first place :heartbeat:

4 Likes

Well basically, people think that comments on their item equals a possible trending item.
So you have people who just spam “GLWS” on as many as possible items, hoping to get a comment in return, so that their item can achieve the almighty trending status.

1 Like

I just leave comments on tracks I like.
And i have to do it more often.

6 Likes

It makes more sense than my previous statement (above) the fact that traffic only can generate a trending status and not comments alone, yet the item I was talking about had 0 sales, lots of comments (around 80) - and the track was not an instant net sensation by the way, which made me realise that that was some kind of a group of authors helping eachother getting a trending item.

Now, ok, I generate traffic on an item (lets say I have a facebook grup with 1000 members) and bring them on my page, some of them are authors and leave me comments also, some of them just click and exit and so on…my question is: if there are no actual sales on the item or any other item on the market from those clicks, isn’t trending status easy to obtain (and maybe in an abusive way) without bringing actual revenue and just from fake traffic?

Thank you

Marian

1 Like

Yes. Correct.

That is why the trending function is completely useless and wasn’t very well thought through to begin with.

Unfortunately, if you give someone a way to abuse the system, they will. Even more so if they don’t have to spend $$$ to do it.

Any system that rewards views, likes, traffic, shares, ratings without buying, etc. etc. is going to be abused. It’s a sad fact, but still a fact.

Solution? Only let buying customers decide what is good/trending and what’s not.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure every sale is considerably more important than all those other things… so you can game the system slightly, but new items that are selling well will always trend more than new items that aren’t selling well… even if everyone is checking them out and commenting on them.

2 Likes

An item is either trending or it’s not. Not more or less.

Since several items with 0 sales were trending (after inflating views/comments) it’s pretty safe to say that that had a pretty big effect.

Then what dictates the item that comes at the top of the list when searching by trending?

Probably some of the stuff that always dictates placement.

As of right now, I can only see a total of 22 trending items. So placement doesn’t really matter too much as long as it’s trending.

And #2 has 0 sales. Zero. None. Ranked #2 for trending items. Out of all tracks + sounds.

Let’s see why? Oh, it has 44 comments… 44 very genuine comments. :sunglasses:

After some quick detective work the author has commented on almost all authors who left a comment. Surprise surprise!

And, on top of it all, the item is a week old. Still 0 sales. Perfect system.

By spamming comments, and probably using a Facebook group or something like that, they cheat their way to top visibility.

2 Likes