Coding standards and commenting

Hi,
I am familiar with frameworks like Codeigniter and MVC pattern but like to work using my own procedural styled app structure. Is that a problem? I didn’t find anything in envato forum or Codecanyon help pages that suggests to follow any pattern or framework or OOP. If I write code in my own style, does it make the approval chance lower?

Another thing, I know that there is something called phpDocumentor for better documenting of codes through specially formatted comment blocks. There is a license tag there, what should I write in there? I know there are a lot of experienced senior developers here who use phpdoc. If you would give me a sample comment block that contains @author, @license tags, it’d be a great help for me.

I don’t write classes in my app. Do I need to think about PSR-4?

Thank you.

It’s highly recommended that you use at least a minimal framework in your apps, but it’s not a strict requirement. If you expect your app to be customized frequently by your buyers, I would personally suggest you do it.

I wouldn’t expect that classes are a strict requirement. Just make sure your functional code is organized.

With respect to comment blocks, I wouldn’t worry about the license or author tags. Especially not in an app. If you’re including third party code files in your app, then simply include a small license comment at the top of those files.

1 Like

Thank you. I understood the fact. It’d take a significantly long time for buyers to understand my codes before doing any customization. But would you please name some minimal frameworks? I know the basics of Codeigniter.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s the hard part. The issue I have with frameworks is that they’re so strict – they need specific extensions, often fail without mod_rewrite, require specific versions of PHP, etc.

There are some basic, minimalist frameworks out there like Slim, Mini, or TinyMVC. These are very lightweight and will only give your app a basic structure to get started, which sounds like it might be ideal to you.

Carefully check each framework’s requirements (extensions, PHP versions, etc) before you start developing with it. Make sure that you’re comfortable with those requirements. Some authors opt to write their own frameworks (myself included!) because they can’t find anything that quite fits their needs.

Unfortunately I can’t recommend any specific framework as I’ve never worked with any of those smaller ones.

2 Likes

Before I join the developers who write their own framework, I need to figure some things out :blush:
By the way, seems like you are always here to help! And your answers are straight forward. I learned a lot of things in the last few days from your answers.
Thank you so much. :heart:

1 Like