[CodeCanyon] Your item, PHP MVC REST API, has been rejected

Hello,
Can somebody explain to me what is the quality standard Envato requires to move forward?
I do not get any replies from Envato to my emails.

This site is using my framework:
https://neo.us.lt
It’s of pretty high quality.

Thanks for your input.

Hello neophyte3,

The problem with selling on Envato is that your item has to be of a higher-than-average quality in order to stand out. It also must offer something unique to the buyers. If your product is a good product, but lower in quality than already existing products with the same features, it would make no sense for Envato to publish it.

Your chat web app looks like it is coming from a decade ago from a graphics perspective. The birth date picker takes too much time to pick a date. City is required but not all cities are listed. Facebook log in does not work, Google requires additional data and it took 15 minutes to get a registration email (on a Gmail). Chat is only text with emoticons. No images, no user profile, no extra features.

Two weeks ago I published a chat web app that was promptly accepted. If you want to get a picture of what can be “ok” by Envato standards, take a look at my demo: https://clover.honeyside.it/ - envato1@honeyside.it - envato

That being said, don’t surrender. It looks like you are did put some good effort and you actually built something, now you need to refine it. Take your time, take a look at graphics design principles or hire a designer if needed. Make sure that everything works, test against vulnerabilities (XSS, SQL injection). And most importantly, remember that for every product that you see succeed, countless have been discarded, mostly by the same developers. Keep working :smile:

Cheers!

1 Like

Hi honeyside,
First of all thanks for your reply.
While yes, I agree I did not mention in the description why my framework is different from the rest, like Symfony and Laravel, you did not understand that I’m trying to sell and promote just my framework and not a complete web app. It’s a backend only solution to build restful api’s. You don’t like jQuery Mobile UI look and feel that’s just your taste, like I might not like yours chat web app UI aswell, even is it’s brand new - it’s a matter of taste, not quality. Comparing freshness, yours finished chat web app and mine unfinished one, I would say yours is pretty old as it’s using (long?)polling http technique versus mine - websockets. And I guess, envato too, is judging a book by its cover. No good.

Would stating exacty why my framework is different make any difference in product quality? No.

Hello neophyte3,

If what you are developing is a backend framework, then you should not provide a random example app built with that framework. Either you build a dynamic demo API generator, either you link documentation to a demo API, endpoint by endpoint, maybe with a Postman collection available for download.

If you publish a demo that is not your API but that is built on top of that, the Envato team will also judge your demo. And, apart from taste in graphics, there are clearly things that do not work with your demo, such as social registration.

Cheers!

1 Like

Btw, Facebook login works at my side so does Vkontake and Google. Email delivery is done by 3rd party api, but still 15 minutes?! Never experienced anything like that :slight_smile:

I get this warning when trying to log in with Facebook:

In August 2018 I published something similar to an API generator on CodeCanyon. It did not have a demo like this, instead I provided the documentation URL as demo. It got accepted, made very few sales at a low price, then I decided to open source it under MIT and removed it from market. What I am saying is that a backend API generator should be extensively documented and judged by the documentation, not by a demo app built on top of it.

1 Like

You want to say that is’t not worth it trying to sell api framework on envato? If you have it on github, can you share the link?

In my experience it’s not really worth it, yes.

Acacia is what I published on CodeCanyon, but later open sourced. It’s a Node.js proxy server: https://github.com/Honeyside/Acacia

Sadkit is a REST API generator that I created more than a year ago. I did not even think about selling it, I open sourced it from the beginning: https://github.com/TheRav3n/Sadkit

Acacia is a Node.js proxy server.
Sadkit is a Node.js clustered web server with zero code needed.

So where’s API generator? I don’t get it.
I can see you use Node.js. While it seems cool to have Javascript as a server side technology, in real world things doesn’t work out so well - cheap shared hosting don’t support Node.js. Maybe that whas one of the reasons of bad sales? I won’t believe corporate users use Envato at all…

Sadkit was a proxy server originally, then I updated it with REST API capabilities and converted it to REST API. It’s open source and with very few users, not even the README is updated. This file will give you an idea of how it works: https://github.com/TheRav3n/Sadkit/blob/master/system/hosts.json

You are right on your Node.js comment. In fact, the next products that I am working on will be PHP or even WordPress based. Quite sad, because Node.js provides greater performance, in my opinion.

PHP with Swoole outperforms Node.js. Javascript on the server-side wasn’t great idea right for the beginning.

@neophyte3 This is a broad discussion and we would go way out of topic.

Solution for you is to provide proper documentation for the API generator and maybe a postman collection in place of the demo, then try sending again. Since backend does not sell well on Envato, my advice is to focus on frontend in the future.

On my side, more PHP will certainly help. It would be stubborn of me to keep going on Node.js on Envato for now.

1 Like

It seems your Sadkit REST API capabilities are just too restrictive to be useful. What about result filtering, sorting, enbedding related records and calling an api from api itself? What about user supplied values validation and something very custom? Even it wasn’t a great product you somehow managed to put in on Envato shelfs and eventually sell it.

It is open source, so it’s in my “will do it when I have time” shelf. I do not deem that project worth of sales effort, meaning that there are many other ideas that I could be working on (and am working on) that have greater potential for sales.