Choose better sounding version (1 or 2)

[SOLVED]

Hey, I’m going back to publishing songs on audiojungle,

I have to ask you guys to listen to two versions and evaluate which sounds better to you
(+ is it a noticeable difference?).

I made one mastering myself (according to AJ reference track) + I paid for another.

Every answer is important so you can just only type “version 1 or 2”.

DOWNLOAD FILES - GOOGLE DRIVE

• Soundcloud links if you want to listen without downloading

VERSION 1

VERSION 2

Thanks in advance :heart:

anyone :sleepy:

The difference is almost not felt. Track two is a little louder. If we choose the second option

1 Like

I would rework the mix. It sounds messy, harsh and grainy. Like in many orchestral mixes: not eq enough or not well done enough and too much compression. You have too much level in the 2000-4000 hz area. The sub area is ok but bass and low mid need more gain to me. You have a hole here so you miss warm and depth. Don’t just give more gain here on the master. Place some of your instruments more in that area and less in the harsh area (2000-4000hz) where everything is fighting each other. Each instrument (group) need is place to peak alone more than the others a bit (1-3 db or more). By exemple: (approximation): Double basses (80-130hz), cellos (160-300hz), french horns (300-500hz), choir (800-1500 hz), hi strings (1000-2500 hz), trumpets (2500-4000 hz) etc. Try to have enough gain in hi mid and treble for your staccato strings to make them sound open end energic.You have that grainy/noisy aspect to your mix. Too much high frequencies on everything or/and bad distrotion. Try two have only 2-3 bright elements in your mix (ex: violins, cymbals). The others still need definition. You don’t need a lot of mid, hi mid and treble on your double basses. Hi shelf them to make them warmer and let the place for the hi instruments.

The two versions sounds too flat and so not really expressive. Two much compression or/and reverb wet signal or decay tail. The master is very loud for orchestral music. It would need for the mix to be very clean and controlled before trying it to be loud without losing all dynamics and sounding harsh and flat. But still loud like this is too loud. It kills expression and sounds damaged. Try 2-3 db less on the master limiter.

The matering engineer don’t tell you that the mix need to be improve first?

I hope it helps! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for such detailed answer :blush:

@AnthonySigouin

Here is version without saturation + without high band gain

I had “tired ears” yesterday, now I feel a significant difference if I compare both A / B versions, actually in the past there was too much saturation and compression (too high) so that the whole sounded “empty and flat”, but now i think it is acceptable :wink: (or i am wrong)

• I must admit that mix also could be better, but no time for that (for this project), also I come back here after 1 month break and I saw that the review times were shortened to a few hours :astonished::astonished::astonished:, so I’ll find out sooner if the song will be rejected or not :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:, though thank you for the detailed comment, I am agree with everything what you wrote, it is a pity that I had to waste your time instead of waiting one day and do it with “fresh” ears.

ehh “Ear fatigue” :sleepy:

I cannot listen back to the other versions on your soundcloud to compare but for what I remember from yesterday, it seems cleaner like that. Do you use saturation on the master or individual instrument (group) or both? On the master it need to be very subtle, transparent or just with little little coloring if it fit with the track.

I invite you to try what I explained to you yesterday for your mix too. :slight_smile: It needs a lot of parametring to get a very clean, powerful, dynamics, intelligible sound. I personnally use very narrow notches to diminish too loud harmonics on each of my tracks to begin with. By exemple: You don’t need a ringing 2000 hz harmonic on your snare or tom that interferes with the harmonics of the violins and trumpets in that same area. Clean your percussion of those annoying ringing harmonics and already your mix will sounds pleasantely cleaner, less messy. Do the same with the pitched instruments. Often, some notes are ringing too much. By exemple: you could have a very agressive note playing by your trumpets. So, look somewhere around the 2500-3500 hz area for one or more too loud harmonics. Diminish them just enough because if you diminish them to much other harmonics around will become to sound too loud and it will sound unnatural.

Yes, I fell in that trap to work too much on the same track without breaks in the past. Not good for objectivity and rough for the mental to listen again and again to the same track hundreds of time in one go. Now I work on different tracks and jump from one to the other. Definitely healthier for the head and for the result.

I would be curious to hear the mix without any compression, saturation and less reverb wet signal and time decay. It still sounds flat but a bit cleaner.

Ok, I read your last post. At least keep what I wrote to you for the next projects. Be rigorous on the details and good luck! :wink:

1 Like

I will send you 15s mixdown version

Oh i misunderstand what you write above, but if you would like to listen this is my original mix (muddy i know :frowning:)

The mixdown sounds more natural and cleaner. What you did after that point don’t improve the sound. It damaged it. If you want the mix to be louder try less decay time on your reverb and less wet signal too. Because it already sound confuse and flat because the reverb tail overlap the notes that follow. You lack attack definition because it’s flooded in reverb. Too much reverb result in a fuzzy mix and the mastering limiter is working much harder because it don’t just have brief peaks to compress but all that reverb until its volume go under the threshold. I hope I am clear enough in my explanation. :smiley:

1 Like